Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • A4 2.0 TDi (170 Ps) – Thoughts?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Avant SE 57 Plate.
    Under 50000 miles.

Test driving tomorrow.
    Thoughts anyone?

geoffj

Dual mass flywheel issues?

aP
    Free Member

Have you got a bluetooth headset? If so, make sure you take it with you.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Wouldn’t buy one as people will just assume your a cock.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Least of my worries tbh. Most people think that anyway.

boblo
    Free Member

catflees46 – Member
    Wouldn’t buy one as people will just assume your a cock.

Whereas we now all know you are a t1t….

GJP
    Free Member

Old diesel engine or one of the newer common rail ones? Personally, I couldn’t live with one of the older engines, you might as well drive a tractor, but some people seem very happy with them. Maybe I am a petrol head

br
    Free Member

How much?

And at that mileage you need to check when the next big services is plus check discs etc.

Also ensure if buying s/h its got all the extra’s and is a decent saleable colour.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will be coming with 2 years servicing, warranty and recovery.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Highish miles for that age but its a fairly rapid, well made car. Well worth a test drive.

Dino
    Free Member

170ps is common rail version on 57 plate
    As above Dual mass flywheel but if i remember correctly is was on slighty earlier cars with 2.0tdi engine.
    How about cambelt interval? (cant remeber what is should be) 😛

tonyg2003

Go to another Audi garage first and drive a newer lower mileage same spec model. You then get a good idea of how well the 50000miles have worn. Usually very illuminating with it’s a peach or lemon.

molgrips
    Free Member

In VWs, the CR engines came in 2008. I’ve got the older PD engine. It is a bit diesely sounding around town but lovely on the open road, and it revs much better than the original PD ones due to the electronic piezo injectors presumably. There are some versions that have injectors that are less than reliable (sometimes it’s the injector wiring tho) and there’s a known oil pump issue that only affects certain engine numbers and I think was subject to a recall.

I do love driving it tho. Lots of smooth oomph.

bi6al
    Free Member

order an octavia vrs 170 cr tdi through a company called drive the deal and you will probably get a new octavia for the price of your 2nd hand audi.

john_walker74
    Free Member

But he will have to wait a long time to get the skoda…

steviegil
    Free Member

I have been doing a little research as im looking at changing to an Octavia VRs estate(singletracks car of choice it seems) and in general the engine seem’s to be quite reliable – as above they have some niggles but nothing seems to be too serious.

steviegil
    Free Member

john_walker74 – Member
    But he will have to wait a long time to get the skoda…

Certainly true, i was reading over on Briskoda the other day that people have been waiting 9+ months for a VRS 😯

tonyg2003

Oh forgot. “57 is that the last of the slightly smaller older shape or a new (current) shape? I can hardly tell the difference from the look 😀 but it probably makes a difference to the re-sale.

bi6al
    Free Member

sorry, yes he will have to wait a long time to get the skoda 6 month wait to get mine but well worth it when it arrived.cant recommend the 170 cr tdi enough its very smooth and seems to have power throughout the rev range rather than all in on chunk like the old 130 pd tdi.fuel economy about 42mpg realistically.

supertacky
    Free Member

Check for Diesel particulate filter / additive and dual mass flywheel/clutch. Both very expensive. Full service histroy only.

TBH I would buy an Audi as servicing and parts are top whack. Save a wedge and get something less flashy.

john_walker74
    Free Member

steviegil – Member
    Certainly true, i was reading over on Briskoda the other day that people have been waiting 9+ months for a VRS

But they are worth the wait as they are cracking value for money with the 17.5% price reduction for the ‘no VAT’ deal. If you are not in a rush worth considering.

Bringing it back on topic, the Audi is a nice car and 50,000 miles in 3 years in not that high and suggests that a lot of them might be motorway miles which are easy on a car.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My girlfriend has one it’s coming up for sale. 30k in 2.5 years. As I said before in carries a stigma in certain circles, being a shock horror Audi. As I said it’s up for sale, mint and serviced, her Dad owns car dealership, in North East if you want a buchers. Not sure what a t1t is boblo but quite happy to be that over a tit.

djglover
    Free Member

DPF is an issue with these engines isn’t it, clogs up and goes into limp mode. I got a 140ps and remaped it. Its pretty bloody fast now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tbh, I really couldn’t give a toss what other people think of me for driving it. It would be coming through a main dealer with full dealer service history, 2 years servicing included. The warranty and recovery would be for one year (I may have implied two above).

I’d be looking at keeping it for 24, possibly 30 months. I just want something more practical than our current car for bikes, dogs, camping kit, etc. I haven’t driven a second hand car for a few years. Am just a wee bit worried about major stuff going wrong.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Go for it, if it drives well and you are happy with the price. They are really nicely built and the boot space can take a bike with the wheels off ok. It’s a nice smooth ride I can’t see why you wouldn’t be happy with it.

boblo
    Free Member

It just gets a bit dull listening (reading) Jeremy Clarkson’s latest wisdom being repeated as fact by the hard of thought…. Hence the reaction to Catflees silly comment.

It’s usually better to have an opion that’s all your own rather than repeating reprocessed, regurgitated sh1te from some telly ‘celeb’…

molgrips
    Free Member

DPF is easy to clean out – just thrash it. There’s no additive on those cars so you can’t forget to fill it up and ruin it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Boblo my thoughts entirely, coming from a household with said vehicle I felt my comment was based on more than A telly celebs opinion. Never said there was anything wrong with the car.

earl_brutus

bought my avant on the strength of the engine(1.9tdi130), interior, space, performance, comfort and style, in 3 years its had new clutch(£600), pads n discs(250), alternator(400), wiper motor(280), and belt pulley(300), had 76k on when i bought it, now at 130K will keep it for another couple of years, and would get another.

NZCol

I bought an A4 platform for its space and practicality. Although i bought an RS4 so it goes like sh1t off a shovel and BP ring me up to thank me for my business. Can’t fault it, great size, great car.

br
    Free Member

I bought an A4 platform for its space !

What did you have before, and Z3?

spacemonkey

Head over to one of the Audi forums (or somewhere like Tyresmoke) to see what they have to say on that particular build/engine/etc.

The whole image thing is b0ll0cks IMO – there are c0cks aplenty in every type of car. I’ve stuck with Germanic brands for the last 9 years and swear by them regardless of what all those (often envious) pr1cks think.

NZCol

b r – a 911 and an S3 so the RS4 is bigger, big enough for my needs anyway 😀

RRD
    Free Member

Deadly Darcy

I own a 03 Audi A4. A fantastic drive even with the older 1.9tdi engine (130). I’m very happy with it. I’m not too sure were this fits in with your 57 plate. However, if your 57 plate is not the latest version 1 word of caution and bearing in mind your statement:

I just want something more practical than our current car for bikes, dogs, camping kit, etc.

I find it disappointing on load carrying capability… The boot isn’t that great and the space in the back seat is pretty limiting (leg room especially). I have to put the seats down to get bikes in. This means I can only really fit 2 people (I have squeezed 3 uncomfortably) in the car plus bikes in the back. Which is the same load I can fit in a Polo! Oh, I also have a dog and that then rules out the boot!

Clearly this statement is caveated with the fact that I don’t use an external bike carrier obviously.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@RRD

Don’t worry, I’m aware that it doesn’t have the load carrying capability of a proper estate but it has quite a bit more than our current car. Bike carrying will probably be on the roof when more than one being carried.

Phototim
    Free Member

Are Audi’s really that expensive to service if you don’t go to Audi dealers? I mean, a local independent garage will charge the same for labour regardless and the parts will all be VW equivalent parts (ie Unipart) which will be the same as those they would fit to a VW, Skoda, Seat etc. I can’t see it costing any more than any other car equivalent car in the VW group?

I have been looking at getting an 07ish Leon FR and an A3 (hence the question above) with the same engine (pre CR) to the OP’s A4. The DPF is a problem if you don’t follow the guidelines of running it at over 3000 revs for 10 minutes every month or something weird like that. I also read there can be a problem with the Leon oil pump spigot rounding off causing catastrophic engine failure (c. £9k to fix). I read this on the Honest John website, no idea if it applies to the equivalent engine in an Audi or VW.

elliptic
    Free Member

Another 1.9 TDi 130 owner here (but only for a week… 52 plate and 55,000 on the clock). It’s a bit of an experiment to see if I can manage with the loadspace (having just run a 406 estate into the ground).

It’s quite a harsh ride but compensates with (a) good engine (b) corners on the proverbial rails. Light steering – needs quite a delicate touch.

john_drummer
    Free Member

has it got the “look at me” lights?

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’ve had a 1.9TDI 130 for 9.5 years. It’s a “Pumpe Duse” not a Common Rail. Can’t say I have noticed the PD is noisy because it just isn’t! I haven’t had any issues since I bought this car new, other than worn out disc brakes and perished CV gaiters, but any car would have needed this work at 9 years of age. One other problem was caused by a badly fitted windscreen which has required the vehicle to go in for a dry out.

All’s well with that now and i did get a loan car. They gave me an S Line 2.0l 170 hp A4 multitronic on loan last week, but i think prefer my ageing 1.9 A6. Mine feels quicker and can do 20% more to the gallon (55-70mpg). Can’t see the point in a 170hp engine in an A4, but with an auto, the A4 felt like a tank.

Servicing my Audi has not been expensive as it runs on a variable servicing plan. Audi are also doing fixed price servicing
    When you consider the 20 month avarage interval for servicing, this brand is certainly not expensive to maintain!

A 1.9tdi is not flash and I chose Audi because it was a practical, good value, quality built, no frills family vehicle.

As for Clarkson’s comments, well he’s more of a cock than anyone! He’s like a 12 year old school boy! All that supercar bolx chat about 0-60 in 4 seconds and nonsense 160mph top speeds is true “cockspeak”! Imagine spending well over a hundred grand on a 5.0l car and then finding an airfield to wear out it’s expensive tyres. Intelligent behaviour (NOT!)

In my view, anyone who drives a gas guzzler is a cock, regardless of the vehicle brand or it’s age.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a “Pumpe Duse” not a Common Rail. Can’t say I have noticed the PD is noisy because it just isn’t!

I’ve owned two versions of the PD motor, the 1.9 you have although in 105bhp version, and my current 2.0 and I’m very happy with them and the noise doesn’t bother me. However it IS undeniably noisy compared to a CR. When you hear one pull away when you are on your bike or on foot, they sound whisper smooth. Not as good as the Honda one mind 🙂

Mine feels quicker

Beware of the autos on some Audis. They have a CVT, which is an acquired taste shall we say 🙂 I believe that the multitronic you had is a CVT which will feel like crap compared to a manual, if you are not in tune with how it behaves 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘A4 2.0 TDi (170 Ps) – Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.