Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • a 'where to buy in Bristol?' thread..
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Which bits of south and east Bristol would you or would you not buy in?
    Can’t afford southville, like bedminster, don’t know toterdown, have heard reasonable things about redfield, and mixed on St Annes.
    Budget of up to 215k, absolute requirement to have bike storage – either garage or ‘spare’ reception room. Need to be able to rent out a room and get to bath easily either on bike or train. Don’t want to feel like I’m gonna get mugged whenever I go out, but would like it to increase in value over the next couple of years. Walking or bus routes into the city are vital too (I’m still going enough to want to go out…)
    Waiting on a building management company to let me know whether I can electrify a garage in some flat I’ll like the look of, but looking for other suggestions?!

bearnecessities

Oddly, Bedminster! I’ve not been ‘in’ Bristol for many years though, it may have changed.

thepublican
    Free Member

A friend just bought a lovely old victorian house in Totterdown. 5 minutes walk to BTM and the B2B cycle path. Recommend you have a look in that area…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d steer well clear of Brislington.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

OK cool, had had a look at a couple of places in brislington…
    I like the vibe in bedminster, to be honest!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Oh, and I’m wary of older house that might need work – I really don’t have time or the spare cash (I know it would bring bigger returns, but I’ve got a very busy job)

boxfish
    Free Member

Windmill Hill?
    Totterdown?
    Bedminster?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

It’s just finding a place big enough for the bikes in those areas within my budget… Loved living in windmill hill last year, but the house was falling to bits…

boxfish
    Free Member

Houses are not staying on the market for long at the moment. 2 lots of friends recently sold their places within days. Both received multiple offers over the asking price, too.

peter1979
    Free Member

Brislington is fine, i’ve lived there before and its got great access to town, lots of decent victorian houses and early 1900’s builds. Bedminster has its dodgy parts, towards knowle west (avoid). Avoid Hartcliffe and withywood too really. Stockwood towrds the top is nice. St Annes around near St Annes park is nice too. Totterdown, is good. You’d get a decent size place in kingswood. There are probably only a few areas i’d avoid south of the river and those are mentioned above.

thebunk

Kind of depends on if you really want a house or if a flat would work for you.

For houses Totterdown & Bedminister – Windmill Hill probably out of your budget. Totterdown is a bit nicer than Bedminister IMO. Great for town and for Temple Meads, and around Victoria Park there are three really nice pubs. One thing with Totterdown is how close it is going to be to the new Arena – not sure if this will be good or bad for house prices.

North of the river you’re getting out towards Horfield which you might find is a bit far out for town and for getting to Bath.

If flats are alright then you’ve got more options north of the river, like Redland, Gloucester Road etc. Not sure on older houses always needing work – plenty of newish flats and houses that are pretty shoddy…

Bike friendly houses in Bristol are pretty difficult – garages feel vulnerable, as do sheds. We went for a garden with no external access, so thieves either have to go through the house or through lots of neighbours gardens.

Best of luck!

peter1979
    Free Member

St Annes new development, near the river and some good access to cycling http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45289196.html

Brislington, you’d need a decent shed in the garden, or keep the bike in the spare room?
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45130307.html

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Cheers guys, totterdown definitely worth more of a look then (but I’m never too sure where that ends and knowl starts…).

Had a couple of viewings around crews hole road, but felt the river made access a bit of a faff.
    Much prefer ground floor access for bikes, as opposed to upstairs spare room as I have lots of bikes going in and out all the time.

Hmm, plenty to think about…

Moses

St Georges, poss nearish the park, also excellent for the cycle path to Bath. Downside, you have to cross the ringroad by Lawrence Hill to get into town by bus

pedroball
    Free Member

SE Wales? More for your money and some pretty good riding.. Takes as little as 35 mins to get into the centre, gets me in earlier than others living in Clifton sometimes!

sambuka
    Free Member

Consider the part of Totterdown up the Wells Rd and off to the left behind the church. Good family vibe and fairly quiet.

wallop

Cheers guys, totterdown definitely worth more of a look then (but I’m never too sure where that ends and knowl starts…).

It doesn’t matter really – Knowle is nice and you’d get more bang for your buck.

Be quick though – prices in Totterdown are starting to get silly!

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve lived in Bedminster for 8 years, and Victoria Park before that. Both are nice areas, on the up, plenty of nice pubs & cafes and local shops, plus you’re a short ride from Ashton Court or out on the road to Somerset.

One recommendation: you get a lot more for your money buying a ’30s house than a Victorian for some reason. You could certainly buy a spacious three-bed terrace with garden for your budget in my street, and some of them have garages or rear access to the garden.

SammyC
    Free Member

But then he’d have you as a neighbour Steve…. 😉

ransos
    Free Member

But then he’d have you as a neighbour Steve….

There’s a reason why the houses in our street are cheap…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Any for sale on your street? 😉

(roughly speaking, where abouts in bedminster would you recommend?)

Of anyone sees anything, feel free to link to it 😉

SammyC
    Free Member

Its quite a big area actually so you’d have to take it on a street by street basis.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘a 'where to buy in Bristol?' thread..’ is closed to new replies.