A weird sort of crime

Home Forum Chat Forum A weird sort of crime

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • A weird sort of crime
  • Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

One of my vehicles is a 2003 Peugeot Boxer minibus (which you may consider a crime in itself), which we keep parked on our street (a small cul-de-sac).

Anyway, last night someone came along at some point, and removed the entire driver’s side rear lamp. I mean, they too a screwdriver, removed the screws, and left us with a gaping hole where the lamp assembly should be.

How needy do you have to be to do that?!? First of all, what are the chances that someone needs the driver’s side rear lamp for a 2003 Peugeot Boxer, and then happened to be passing our small street on a cold snowy night?

Downright weird and bloody annoying if you ask me.

More likely that they saw you out and about somewhere and followed you home.

Sleep tight

spooky_b329

it’s getting common to find a DPFs being stolen off vans, particularly Iveco’s like mine. They are high enough to roll underneath and you can almost shu up once under the sills.

You can buy wire rope cages to protect then, I should do something basic to prevent access to the bolts…

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Sounds like you got off lightly.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

After our first break-in, where the thief stole my Reverb but cut the hose and left the lever behind, he came back and nicked the lever off my KS i900 but left everything else! Then he realised you can’t work a Reverb with a KS seatpost lever so he came back, again, and nicked my Bikeyoke.

Klunk

feel like asking the mods to post a back dated wanted ad for a peugeot Boxer minibus  rear driver side lamp cluster 😉

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

maybe its too soon to put my for sale ad in the classifieds

project

Neighbours have had wing mirrors taken, and when i worked in the NHS we had the rear doors of a high roof minibus taken overnight, stuff is stolen to order or to replace damaged items.

also BBC are reporting a surge in the theft of clothes banks, those huge steel boxes found in shop car parks, and local tradesmen in plymouth have staged a slow demo about  the huge number of thefts of tools from tradesmens vans.

If there is a need and people will pay cheap for stuff it ill get nicked.

I was fishing off the South Gare at Redcar a few years ago, when I got back to my car (2001 Passat estate) I was pleased to see that the wheels were still on & it wasn’t a charred wreck. However, on reversing on to the road I was somewhat dismayed to notice that some **** had taken the drivers door mirror glass! Just the glass!

It was that scrotey looking dickhead in a multicoloured micra I saw as we left the car,I just know it was.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

also BBC are reporting a surge in the theft of clothes banks, those huge steel boxes found in shop car parks

I saw that story and was somewhat baffled. Where is the profit coming from? Melting down the boxes or just nicking the clothes. Think it was the latter from how they said they were reappearing. Didnt think there would be that much cash in it.

For the OP. I vaguely remember reading something about there being a thriving trade in targeted theft of auto parts. Cant say its something I looked at but I guess if you have a website showing wanted items then just wandering around seeing what matches that shopping list could make people a few bob.

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

Part to order is my guess. There are other vehicles specifically targeted…. A lot of Land rovers are stolen specifically to feed a spares market.  Certain models also have their headlamps removed as the immobiliser unit can be accessed/bypassed that way, apparently. We were specifically briefed to lookout for one eyed Landies during a spate of cross-border thefts.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>There is also a suggestion that LED light units are stolen to sell onto cannabis growers as they don’t generate as much heat and therefore don’t show up on thermal imagery.</span>

robgclarkson

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Iconbearnecessities
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Sounds like you got off lightly.

</div>

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

I saw that story and was somewhat baffled. Where is the profit coming from? Melting down the boxes or just nicking the clothes

Painting another name on it and putting it back out on the street

They nick the clothes boxes from areas that are considered affluent and then send the clothes overseas to sell.

A guy i know works for the local red cross and many of the boxes in posh areas can net the charity up to a thousand quid every time they are emptied. And that’s typically selling stuff at less than 10% of retail.

He pretty much dresses his family in second hand top end/designer gear. Last i spoke to him his youngest was rocking a genuine Gucci jacket and rucksack (retail over €600) that he paid about €20 for.

Selling it on ebay might get you €200-250 for the same stuff. So definitely worth nicking the boxes!

I’m surprised the charities don’t sell on ebay more often.

And lots of cars get nicked/broken/robbed for spares. Especially if there is a shortage of parts.

Early LED lamped LHD cars (Audis mostly) were targetted quite heavily in germany as spares were taking ~2 months to get (and incredibly expensive).

amedias

First of all, what are the chances that someone needs the driver’s side rear lamp for a 2003 Peugeot Boxer

I’d say about 100% now, unless you already had a spare just in case?

People will steal anything, and I mean anything, it’s genuinely quite baffling at times the trouble they go to for some things.

Anyway, hope it doesn’t cause you too much inconvenience OP, never feels good to have something nicked 🙁

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

I used to live in newton aycliffe, co durham, my neighbour moved out and left a childs high chair sitting in the garden, after about a fortnight it disappeared.

The council hadn’t been in or anything, so someone must have stolen it.

It was stinking.

so, yeah, people will steal anything if they’re desperate enough.

Premier Icon cb
    Subscriber

I worked (indirectly) with one of the largest UK clothing charity recycling set-ups for a short time.  Apparently Eastern Europe (Latvia, Lithuania etc) have a thriving high street full of second hand clothes shops selling stuff from UK and other ‘western’ countries.  Much it legally purchased but much of it not.

wrightyson

Ford transit wing mirror units have snap off fixings to stop such bellendery. A new unit costs in the region of a hundred quid and they are regularly wiped out.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

I would say the opposite, this kind of crime is 100% rational. You have something they need, so a certain type of person will just take it if the opportunity arises. There’s plenty of other crimes I find more baffling, like that bridge vandalism recently; I have no idea what is going through a person’s head when they do something like that.

Mister P

“I was somewhat dismayed to notice that some **** had taken the drivers door mirror glass! Just the glass!”

I had the glass taken out of my passenger side mirror.  They did a lovely job, no damage to the rest of the mirror.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

For the OP. I vaguely remember reading something about there being a thriving trade in targeted theft of auto parts. C

Yep, we’ve had a few locally which are clearly targeted. Single night with pretty much the entire front ends taken off a Corsa an Insignia and a Fiesta – one of them, apparently, opposite the Ladybower Inn. ‘Bonnets, lights, bumpers and grills’ it says here.

Meanwhile the local fake news FB obsession is with two vans which people reckon are owned by dog thieves. It’s been going on for four weeks now and no-one has had a dog stolen, which makes you think that if they are dog thieves, they should maybe consider a different line of ‘work’.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

some **** had taken the drivers door mirror glass!

Years ago, I had a door mirror stolen.  Replaced it for ~£100, a couple of weeks later the new one was robbed and the cheeky shits replaced it with the old one they’d previously stolen.

People will steal anything, and I mean anything, it’s genuinely quite baffling at times

I had a new bathroom suite fitted a little while ago.  Got the old toilet out and thrown in a skip, by the time they’d got the bath out and downstairs the loo had been stolen.  I wouldn’t have thought there would be much call for a second-hand porcelain throne in faded 1960s-vintage toxic yellow, but here we are.

zokes

I wouldn’t have thought there would be much call for a second-hand porcelain throne in faded 1960s-vintage toxic yellow, but here we are.

They’re waiting for an opportunity to nick your new one and replace it with the yellow one

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

so, yeah, people will steal anything if they’re desperate enough.

Thing is, there’s no massive investment involved in most thefts, so anything you make is pure profit. A few years back, someone broke into my old Mk2 Golf and stole an empty petrol can and a knackered Mountain Equipment microfleece that I’d had for years. Both mostly worthless, but if you can get a quid for them, you’re a quid better off. And of course it’s a lucky dip, they might conceivably have found a wallet or a mobile phone that would actually be worth something.

Of course you’re risking arrest and a criminal record, imprisonment etc, but if that bothered you, you wouldn’t be a petty thief.

I’m always surprised that people seem surprised that some folk’ll nick anything. Mostly it’s pure profit no? The only investment you’ve made is time and the risk of your future liberty / job prospects etc.

Personally, I find it surprising that some people are surprised that people seem surprised that some folk’ll nick anything.

Someone once broke into my wife’s car and stole some waterproof trousers. Nothing else. Wierdos.

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

Years ago, I had a door mirror stolen.  Replaced it for ~£100, a couple of weeks later the new one was robbed and the cheeky shits replaced it with the old one they’d previously stolen

That made me chuckle!

I had a tax disk stolen froma car a few years ago.  They smashed window and ignored a very expensive goretex jacket on the seat to steal a tax disk with about 2 weeks left on it.

thomthumb

I wouldn’t have thought there would be much call for a second-hand porcelain throne in faded 1960s-vintage toxic yellow, but here we are.

I know a bloke who has a farm full of old bathroom suites. People will break one piece and replace with a spare.  He has a barn full of coloured suites. He makes a good living off of it.

^^^^^That, we broke a toilet years ad years ago. Horrible thing. Part of a set. Cost us an entire new suite to get it to look right, and saleable. (It was a horrible avocado green suite that i hated, but we were only in the place 2 years, and it was an expense i didn’t want to have)

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

That is weird – I suppose there’s no indication of who was to blame?

Yep, it’s a blinking disgrace.

Premier Icon cheshirecat
    Subscriber

A colleague recently had his steering wheel stolen from his company BMW.  He was told that that it’s fairly common; they’re stolen for the airbags.

wiggles

They stole it so now you will buy it off eBay because you need it.

Supply and demand 😉

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Can you put a tail on the miscreant and find out how to brake the theft habit they have got?

greavo

Somebody once tried nicking the bonnet off a Ford Ka on my parents road.  Presumably a lot cheaper than paying for a new one and body shop work…..

One of my first cars was a Talbot Samba S (loved that car). The wheels had these weirdly shaped wheel nuts and only 3 per wheel.  Somebody nicked one of them, presumably because they were rare or expensive (for a nut).

blader1611

Several years ago my wife disturbed somebody in our drive who removed the colour coded plastic section off my 2005 ford focus wing mirror (just a backing plate). Cost of a new one was £15, who is that desperate plus he would have almost certainly broken off the plastic tangs so it is unlikely to go back on. I was in the house at the time but i couldnt run after him as i had a broken leg and  knee reconstruction surgery.

Premier Icon peekay
    Subscriber

Somebody has recently stolen the towing eye cover from my V70. They clip in quite securely and have a little rubber retaining cord so I can’t imagine it would fall off. Surprisingly expensive to replace and colour match,  so I’m doing without.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.