Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • A weekend in Aviemore
  • Beagleboy

Whoops, I tried posting a thread earlier and seem to have sent it to the ‘No Forum’ forum.

So, sorry for repeating myself, but I’m off to Aviemore next weekend, staying in the Rothiemurchus lodge at the head of the Lairig ghru descent, (so each ride will have a fab kickoff). Anyone got some good ideas for nice XC singletrack rides around this area? I know there’s some absolutely cracking stuff, but I can never find it again when I’m up there.

So, I’d really appreciate some suggestions, and maybe the odd link to gpx files?

C. 🙂

scotroutes

I’m on the road at the moment (in Blair Atholl as it happens) but I’ll hit you up with some stuff later.

honeybadgerx

There’s a lot of stuff on Trailforks now, following any of the ‘signposted’ trails around Loch an Eilein/Rothiemurchus is always nice if you’ve not been in that area before. Link in sections like the trail out to the bothy at Inshriach and some of the cake or death trails* and you’ll have fun. There’s some slightly more ‘enduro’ trails up above Badaguish that are worth checking out too (not that enduro really, more how fast you want to ride them), again, marked on Trailforks. The other classic is doing a short out and back of the first couple of km of the Lairig Ghru from the Cairngorm Club Footbridge end, only thing I would say is that if the ground is soggy then leave the upper portion alone as it’s seen some hammering.

Scotroutes will no doubt give you a better locals update.

*I think the cake place is closed now – does that mean it’s all just death?!

kcal

depends on level of commitment – I’m definitely in cautious XC territory.

Have revisited Aviemore for a las weekend last few years, have rarely repeated ourselves. Have headed over towards Carrbridge on scotroutes suggestion, lovely decent that way, and equally brill singletrack coming back out of Carr and by Boat of Garten. Decent singletrack by Nethybridge too.

Usual – Ryvoan – Boat of Garten – Speyside Way – Aviemore and back.

Also see Badaguish XC course – aka Canadian Trails.

Definitely – if you can – head down past Loch an Eilean, loch Gammna, and towards Feshiebridge and Creag Dhu. Some absolute belters of sections there. Highly recommended. Can see if I can forward GPX files if you can contact me.

Also pop in by Bothy Bikes, get a map of a selected area and if you get it annotated, so much the better.

metalheart
    Free Member

The Lairig Ghru Trail was bone dry on Saturday, ScotRoutes managed to stay on his bike this time and we made it there (and back) unscathed… 🤣 it was awesome, loved it. I think we might even have high 5’d at the end of it (oh the shame).

we also did the unmaintained trail from Drakes Bothy (inshriach) which again was bone dry (apart from the stream crossings). I do love that section. You can head up round Loch an eilan to get to the bothy.

Im also a fan of the Glen Einich singletrack section (watch out for the corner of doom mind).

and theres some nice stuff down Feshie way too.

ETA: oh, isn’t there trails around Sgor Goaith way?

scotroutes will see you all right though.

iainc

Beagy, I have a number of nice routes scoped out for us …. 😜

scotroutes

Ah. He’s with you?

iainc

😜 Indeed, the annual Stirling and appendages jaunt to the North …

my menu includes most of the nice stuff you and Ross et al have kindly shown me over the years Scotroutes…

scotroutes

Friday night beerios a possibility?

iainc

Sounds a plan 😎

StirlingCrispin

“Im also a fan of the Glen Einich singletrack section (watch out for the corner of doom mind).”

Cracking route – but I so nearly came acropper on that corner in May.

Watch out for Zenga if out and about in the bars. She has a soft spot for lads from Falkirk and we were one light on the Saturday 😉

iainc

Went round that corner last month and remembered it almost too late 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

I was taking a last ride on the Sherpa and was ducking for the couple of low hanging branches just before the corner and for some reason I unconsciously kept the brakes on only to realise where I was and think, thank ****! #sixthsense 🤣

Beagleboy

Cheers folks, I’ve mapped out a loop (Using an actual paper map and 5B pencil! Master of technology that I am.),for the Friday that I think should be good. Although I’m pretty sure that it’s roughly the same route I’ve done countless times before. Unfortunately, the names mean nothing to me as I have a memory like a sieve.

Anyway, starting from the Lodge we’ll wheech down the Lairig grhu, hang a left at the bottom and cross the river at the club footbridge. Then we’ll bang our way along to Loch an Eilein. All familiar stuff up to here.

Halfway round the loch we’ll peel off and head over to loch Gamhna and then find the forestry track (Not shown on my c.1994 OS map!), that’ll take us up to the head of the Cake or Death trails. Have a play around here, then follow the familiar trails back along to Inverdruie / Aviemore for a couple of beers before heading back to the lodge along the logging trail and a few more well earned refreshments. Around about a 25 mile loop for 2-3 folk who haven’t managed a lot of bike time this summer.

Whatcha think? Anyone have any tweaks or better suggestions?

The Corner of Death sounds exciting. Am I likely to encounter it? I have a poor history of coming out on top in such encounters!

scotroutes

Sorry I didn’t reply directly. I assumed that Iain had it covered.

From Loch an Eilean take the more southerly path past Loch Gamhna all the way to the end – you pass a small bothy. Then a right, up the hill and 2nd right. That takes you to the top of C or D.

scotroutes

The Corner of Certain Death is on the lower Loch Einaich track, so not on your route.

Beagleboy

Cheers,

Iain’s riding with the group on the Saturday / Sunday. A few of us are heading up earlier on the Friday for a cheeky warm up ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A weekend of Clow’s attempts at humour…. Ooft.

Beagleboy

Yeah….yeah, there is that….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘A weekend in Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.