Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A wee dent
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

Picked this up over the weekend, reckon it’ll be ok? There is a circular stress pattern around the dent but thinking this may just be paint cracking, can’t see any other signs of cracks etc…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

My non expert opinion is it’ll be fine….

…wish i had a bike with a belly button 😉

hora
    Free Member

Specialized told me – under the downtube bad.

I’d personally strip it back to just beyond the paint-crazing and keep an eye on it/ride as normal. Its away from the welds.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Good enough for me. Frame tape probably helped reduce damage but i’ll put some more back on as rock strikes like this are pretty common in the Lakes.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

p.s…. don’t wee so hard,…. and especially not at your bike!

mudmonster
    Free Member

I read recently that dents on downtubes are ok as they are being stretched. Dents on top tubes are bad as they are under compression, more likely to cause the frame to fold with a big impact.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

That’ll be fine I reckon. Every non-steel frame I’ve had has ended up with stuff like that all over the downtube. None of them have fallen to pieces on me yet.

M6TTF
    Free Member

my fuel ex has several, it’ll be fine – joys of the peaks

Northwind

The stress marks are probably in the paint, metal tends not to crack like that. I’d ride it, no bother. (though I would probably not buy it because I’m a tart)

bungalistic
    Free Member

Worth investing in any better protection than frame tape for inevitable future hits in this area

andyl
    Free Member

it’ll be fine. Go make some more so your bike goes faster like golf ball dimples 😀

hora
    Free Member

I never ever check my frame. Only when it comes to selling time do I wash properly then check thoroughly.

Am I doing something wrong? If it aint broke….

OP- just nitromores that area so you can inspect the surface of the actual metal and keep a check.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A wee dent’ is closed to new replies.