• This topic has 141 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • A warning to all – look at this mofo of an injury
  • lobby_dosser
    Free Member

hope you get well soon derek and get back on your bike. Preventing apple coring may seem obvious to some, but it's well worth a reminder to others.

On the other hand don't be too sensitive and take a tittylip about the comments.Remember it's the internet and there's a lot of us fatties on here- however I don't think a seperate fatty forum would be the answer.

69er
    Free Member

derek(the size of a)starship, lighten up man! 😯

You fell on your bars, it hurt

You got bruised

You posted a picture on a public forum 😳

People commented on it

Life's tough, no-one died, no-one dislikes you. We're all mates together, taking the piss is a very British pastime. Take it how you will.

If you don't like it just show pics like that to people who will tell you what you want to hear…

The first thing my Mrs said was 'that's a big belly', perhaps because it's the truth! She didn't even notice the bruising..

Great thread, it's put a smile on my face. 😀

rbmccunn
    Free Member

Just checked my fleet and noticed my daughter’s bike has open grips and no bar end plugs. I am off to stick some on now before I take the kids to Glentress next week! Hope you get better soon Derek, Thanks for the tip!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

however I don't think a seperate fatty forum would be the answer.

no, no, let's have one please!
    Topic list:
    Pies are good
    Skinny people, what's the point ?
    I can't find my winkle
    Why do my bikes keep snapping ?
    etc etc

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

you may have a point there simon.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I can't find my winkle

LOVL!!!!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

"however I don't think a seperate fatty forum would be the answer."

no, no, let's have one please!
    Topic list:
    Pies are good
    Skinny people, what's the point ?
    I can't find my winkle
    Why do my bikes keep snapping ?
    etc etc

For someone who claims to abhor violence SFB, one doesn't have to scratch very deep below the surface to find a cruel and callous streak.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Put a bar end plug in it ernie! 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

For someone who claims to abhor violence SFB, one doesn't have to scratch very deep below the surface to find a cruel and callous streak.

had it not occurred to you that my abhorence is based on first hand experience of its ill effects ? I do indeed have a foul temper and a vicious streak, though I think now they are under full control but perhaps a little malice is still in evidence…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wasn't commenting on your abhorrence of violence or the reasons for it. I was simply commenting on the growing evidence of a cruel and callous streak. Which I find surprising.

bigyinn ….. nah …… I need to be banned or get bored, before I STF 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was simply commenting on the growing evidence of a cruel and callous streak. Which I find surprising.

I would be the last to deny my inner nastiness

takisawa2

Has he come back from BikeMagic yet ?
    They can be even worse, especially that mike bloke.

Chill out mate, its just a laff.
    Group hug.
    You should meet my gut, its quite impressive.

mrchrispy

this thread got very boring very quickly.
    slightly guilty that we upset the OP but boy did I laugh like a drain….and thats whats important eh???? eh??

anyway, you'll get over it and keep up the cycling big lad.

aracer
    Free Member

on a serious note, your post has reminded me that i need to plug the ends on my road bikes

Whilst I keep meaning to replace the ones I'm missing on mine, it's not something I'd consider to be so urgent, given the rather miniscule likelihood of falling on the end of a road bar in the same way you can on a flat bar – make very sure those are plugged (though I also have bar ends which reduces the risk somewhat).

steve_b77
    Free Member

It's a nasty bruise, lucky it didn't go in your belly button, that could've been a whole lot worse!! (apparently if you undo your belly button all you insides fall out – thats what my mum said anyway).

It's a damm fine idea to plug your ends ❗

robgarrioch

My ma said my arse would fall off….

It does take a while to acclimatise to the sometimes-mercenary nature of the regular forum users; I first thought it was too vicious for me, but now the generally humourous ribbing amuses me more often than not. Heal soon DStarship & might give you a shout around xmas for a spin round Holcombe Hill, I'll be in Ramsbottom at the SO's folks for a week.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Did you do the belly flop intentionally ?
    I very much doubt it, you cannot change your mind in the 1/10 of a second it takes for you to hurl skywards and backdown again.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Derek_Starship has realised that posting a pic on a public forum will draw a multitude of responses. I might not bother again.

However – my original advice about open bar ends and the potential nasty consequences in a a fall is current and valid.

I could have been very seriously injured had I not recently fitted some new grips. That is all I was conveying.

Keep yourselves nice.

DS

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I might not bother again.

the more seriously you take yourself, the less everyone else will

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ignoring advice given from experience is contemptable i think.

I don't want a medal or a Pride of Britain Award – just saying check your grips.

Effin 'ell.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ignoring advice given from experience is contemptable i think

what makes you think anyone has ignored it ?

AlasdairMc

Welcome to STW.

In all seriousness though, I do agree that a bar end impact hurts like buggery – mine was on my breastbone, I still have the scar.

Idea – squidgy bar end plugs to absorb impact, like half a squash ball or something. Reckon they'd work?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I could have been very seriously injured had I not recently fitted some new grips.

Indeed you might have been. But very luckily you weren't, which I guess was the reason why many (including me) felt that it would be safe to tease you.

But yeah, very sound advise – thanks. It's reminded me that my grips on the Scandal need renewing. I noticed a while back that they were on the way out, and since your post I've checked them to find that metal is now starting to poke through.

I had an experience simular to yours on my full sus a few years back. The old and tatty grips offered very little protection when I landed full on with my chest about level with the heart. It was a pretty scary wake up call and I went out and bought some of those cane creek bar end thingies.

I'll see if I can pop down to my LBS in the next day or two ….. *thumbs up*

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I don't want a medal or a Pride of Britain Award – just saying check your grips.

…everybody say it now in unison: "Check your grips"

"Check your grips"

"Check your grips"

… and the OP will be happy. 🙂

Abhorrence of violence + malice + cruel wit + sharp tongue + tiresomely (and predictably) argumentative…
    sfb, I think you really just need to get laid. 😉

(this thread has had me in stitches from start to finish)

Get well soon Derek and keep up the riding! 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb, I think you really just need to get laid.

actually it makes no difference to my argumentativity :o)

lardman
    Free Member

Now, although i don't usually like argumentative, and obnoxious people – i am beginning to like Mr SFB, because he appears to have integrity in himself, and is happy to be just what he is.
    consistent, persistent, and unashamed of it. Off forum he might actually be a nice bloke.

Still, on forum he come across as a t*at, but never mind that.

😈

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Off forum he might actually be a nice bloke.

unfortunately, this is my best side 🙁

miketually
    Free Member

Riding to work this morning, I didn't have a seious accident because my brakes work.

Check your brakes everyone!

😉

chris_jh

This happened to me as well back in 1990, my bike had full grips that didn’t have holes for bar plugs, I still ruptured my spleen.
    But I didn't have any bruising, however I am quite skinny so maybe the lack of a belly worked against me?

69er
    Free Member

Yeah, thin ****t! 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ignoring advice given from experience is contemptable i think.

Depends on who's experience it was and what conclusions they drew from it. A bit like the old bees cant fly thing that came from the experience of a fluid dynamics expert. And was later proved to be incorrect as his models were just not sophisticated enough.

However in this case, yes it would seem a bit stupid to ignore, seeing as it's a known problem across the globe, whereas bees evidently do fly fairly well!

Incidentally I find the soft-ended plugs are pointless, they provide very little pressure reduction and often split like your skin does. You need *solid* bar plugs for full safety.

tankslapper
    Free Member

This post has scared me so much I have thrown my carbon monkey lites in the bin and put racing bike handle bars on my Cotic

I think it looks fab!

tomzo
    Free Member

here is a picture.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

of course, even after you've rendered your grip ends fluffy and gut-compatible, you still have jagged rocks, trees, fence posts, barbed wire & cliff edges to contend with, never mind chain rings – perhaps it would be safer to go darn v'pub?

Helios
    Free Member

This post has scared me so much I have stopped eating…

In a few weeks I think I'll look fab

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I guess at least derek can always change his belly with a bit of exercise and careful choice of diet. Barnesy however, can do little with his face without serious ££ for plastic surgery. But fair dues to him, he's never too bothered about showing it to us.

redthunder
    Free Member

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Barnesy however, can do little with his face without serious ££ for plastic surgery.

Oooooh, cutting :o) However I like my face (and belly) as they are now I've gotten used to them, and the upside is I could eat 2 pies every day for a year to become as manfully rounded as the OP…

roper
    Free Member

"I've grown accustomed to my belly" Isn't that from My Fair Lady?

zaskar
    Free Member

Looks painful -you were lucky you didn't rupture anything!

Ignore the pi55 take -it's just banter. Besides if you look at a guys inury why would you comment on his body unless…

You're all Gay but it's ok. 8)

Hey I was fat, now overweight and getting to my normal weight, just laugh it off, head high and use this as motivation to lose weight if you want to.

Who gives a **** what you look like except you!

Besides the forum is full of A-holes that try to pee others off-ignore them-life is short.

Get riding once you've recovered asap!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘A warning to all – look at this mofo of an injury’ is closed to new replies.