Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • A vote of thanks to the coppers
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

easygirls post reminded me – we have a bunch of coppers who post on here. Not just for them but for all the cops on the ground out there doing what they can to uphold the law we do owe a debt of thanks.

amongst the controversy of particular incidents we have been debating this gets lost. So lets have another thread without the discussions of the controversial incidents.

there are thousands of men and women out there doing their best to keep the peace and uphold the law. To them – I say thanks.
    *tips hat*

choose your tipple.
    [img]http://howmanycaloriesshouldieatadayinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/pint_beer.jpg[/img]

Coyote
    Free Member

Agreed.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Well said but some muppet will come along soon to argue otherwise.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Margin-Walker
    Free Member

or ‘grunts’as Elf calls them. 🙄

They do an excellent job under difficult circumstances generally, and as one who works in the area (manc) I thank them.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Well said you bluddy beddwetting namby-pambyist!

molgrips
    Free Member

They do an excellent job under difficult circumstances generally

Absolutely.

aracer
    Free Member

I thought they were all racists?

That’s my one in the corner over there – the one with the hood.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

top shout there 😀

keep calm and carry on

#OperationCupOfTea

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oi – aracer – behave

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Well said but some muppet will come along soon to argue otherwise.

I’ll do what I can to keep them under control.

Stoner
    Free Member

aracer – you walked into that. He’s probably got a ready made riposte in notepad right now, ready to be deployed!

aracer
    Free Member

Just in case anybody takes me too seriously (always possible on here) – and to avoid derailing this thread – I should point out that I always have been and always will be a supporter of the job the police do.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer -we probably both should have posted smilies – I took it as humorous.

mildred

Well thank you very much TJ.

Something a colleague sent to me some years ago sticks in mind, an is as apt in the UK as in the states where it was 1st penned (just dug it out here – http://m.missoulian.com/news/opinion/columnists/article_3382a448-61bb-11df-8383-001cc4c03286.html )

An ode to a police officer
    Story
    Discussion
    Guest column by CHARLES DOTY | Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 7:50 am | (4) Comments
    Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

I picked up on the idea of writing about my experience as a policeman from a short program which I heard on Paul Harvey news early in my career in the 1950s.
    It does express the feelings of most dedicated police officers today, as it did in the past.
    I wore the badge for 20 years of my life in Missoula and have continued to serve as a willing volunteer for many years here in our wonderful city. I say this with a great deal of pride, because I have always been proud of my chosen profession.
    A policeman is a composite of what all men are, a mingling of saint and sinner, dust and deity.
    It takes just one remark from a disgruntled person to darken an image that takes countless hours and even years of endeavor and effort to raise above the shadows of doubt and suspicion.
    A remark made in half jest and half sarcasm will be taken as fact and will fester like an open wound. It will take the efforts of an entire force to restore the truth and honor which is our common goal.
    Some of the remarks which an officer is expected to shed with little recognition are “sir” to his face and “pig” or “fuzz” to his back.
    He must learn to be such a diplomat as to settle differences between two persons so that each will feel that he is the victor.
    Now …
    If a policeman is neat, he is conceited; if he is scuffed, he is a bum; if he is pleasant, he is putting on a show; if he is quiet, he’s a grouch.
    He must make instant decisions which will be tested for hours and weeks in a court of law.
    If he hurries, he is careless; if he is deliberate, he’s slow.
    He must be the first to the scene of an accident or emergency and the last to violate any traffic laws.
    He must be able to start a person’s breathing, or stop his bleeding.
    He must be familiar with his weapon, but never remove it from his holster.
    He must be physically able to bring a man twice his size to justice, but dare not abuse him in the process.
    To stand and take abuse, I am a coward, to take none, I am a bully.
    He must be aware of every sin, but partake in none.
    These are some of the things in the life of a law enforcement officer which would seem to discourage him and cause him to call it quits, but there are so many opportunities each day to help our fellow men in time of need, that these tasks are what we keep in mind and this is what brings out pride in ourselves as well as our department.

This really does a good job of summing “the job” up.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Puts it well Mildred.

Junkyard
    Free Member

easygirl – Member
    I’ve just done a 18 hour shift followed by 5 hours sleep then a 15 hour shift in full riot gear on the streets of Manchester trying to stop these shits form looting and assaulting people
    I wish some of you lot would come with me and see if you still take the high moral ground
    These people really have no morals and do not deserve any respect at all,show them any sympathy and they take it as a sign of weakness and take advantage.
    Now that might not be a nice thought for you all sat at home with your idealistic views, but it’s the truth, if the police went on strike for a day, just imagine what these people would do, they would be in your houses taking what ever they wanted.
    I think you should give a big vote of thanks to all police officers in this country

Big vote of thanks

Gary_C

Well said.

AlasdairMc

I have the utmost respect for you all – difficult job, impossible circumstances and a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” code to be judged by.

I do wonder if this will prompt a jump in applications both for the force and the Specials? Perhaps something for another thread…

Lifer
    Free Member

Hope you all have a quiet night! Big sis is on duty now, Tottenham again I think.

mildred

Can’t see that happening. Thanks to the unique way that this government cuts Police Budgets by whopping margins, many forces are being stripped back, making large scale redundancies, invoking regulation A19 & A20, and putting freezes on any recruitment. It’s a sad state that it takes large scale disorder to remind the politicians that we’re really quite useful sometimes.

There was a ITV documentary a few years ago that put it quite well that the way the Police service is viewed by politicians, I.e. That it can be run along business principles, enforces it to be seen as a a constantly failing entity. That is, it’s seen as a great big money pit that doesn’t turn a profit; budgets and the most important strategic decisions are based on what is happening in the here and now, and not what could happen.

Kato

Tottenham’s been quiet for a few days now Lifer. We’re deployed sarf of the river tonight but the 22 hour days and no kip is beginning to show

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Some of their management is crap. A cop I know texted me a few hours ago – ‘on a riot bus heading to Xxxxx, but on standby to go to Brum or Cardiff or back to Yyyyy’.

Thanks to those at the sharp end.

Lifer
    Free Member

Kato – Member

Tottenham’s been quiet for a few days now Lifer. We’re deployed sarf of the river tonight but the 22 hour days and no kip is beginning to show

Oh I know, that’s why she’s there (special). Was wishing all of yous a quiet night!

andyl
    Free Member

+1 to the OP

user-removed
    Free Member

Good thread and sentiment.

(The Police Force is) seen as a great big money pit that doesn’t turn a profit; budgets and the most important strategic decisions are based on what is happening in the here and now, and not what could happen.

Sadly, the same is true of the NHS especially and all other publicly funded bodies generally. They are all being forced to operate as businesses, rather than public services, funded by taxes – I just cannot for the life of me see how that will ever work.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we have a bunch of coppers who post on here

And they’re often among the most sensible posters on STW – I would hate to see some of the ranters on here become coppers 😐

So yeah, another satisfied taxpayer here – with regards to the old bill’s performance in recent days. And a big thanks to the firefighters too.

And yes, it’s worth remembering that both the police and fire service will be expected to carry on providing the same level of service in the future, but with significantly less resources/personnel.

Lifer
    Free Member

Sadly, the same is true of the NHS especially and all other publicly funded bodies generally. They are all being forced to operate as businesses, rather than public services, funded by taxes – I just cannot for the life of me see how that will ever work.

Trust the market! It works! Honest!

althepal

Couldn’t do my job without them. Any hassles we’ve had with Pts they’ve come running. Mob handed too usually.
    Hats off and thanks to you all, wherever you are tonight. Hope it’s quiet and you’re not getting rained on..

Kato

I’ve just had a load of scientologists give me the rest of the serial tea and sandwiches in the middle of Brixton at 2am!

It’s Q (not jinxing it) and it’s not raining

Northwind

TBH I have been getting a bit pissed off at the lack of media and politician attention for the job they’ve been doing… You’d think from some of the coverage that they’ve all just been sat around doing nothing, that there’s been no arrests, no rescues, no heroics. Ridiculous. “Why are all these looters just being allowed to walk away?”, 100 times a day on the telly- well it’s because the coppers are a wee bit busy trying to stop the city getting burned to the ground.

tartanscarf

+1 for OP.

theotherjonv

have not posted elsewhere because i don’t want to get drawn into the ridiculous bickering. But a very big +1 to this post.

Dobbo

Good on them, I hope they continue to catch up with some of the ring leaders from the last week and that they get a good result on the Brum hit and run, seeing Tariq Jahan on the news acting with such dignity after what he’s lost was very moving, justice needs to continue being done.

CHB

+1

Houns

Fantastic job guys and girls

Jamie
    Free Member

Take a nap…..you’ve earned it.

yossarian
    Free Member

I think that ALL of the emergency services have done a good job. I’m no fan of the police that’s for sure, mainly because of the way they are directed and used by successive governments to suppress opposition. This was and is different. After being caught on the hop in London they’ve restored order to the streets and it would be nice to think that the aftermath of this will hopefully see better relations between communities and them.

Big thanks to the Welsh police in particular for stamping out the EDL bullshit in Eltham over the last two nights.

Houns

Hello blondie

WackoAK
    Free Member
    nbt

+100.

I did riot training, it was hard enough doing it for a couple of hours in the knowledge that the “bricks” being thrown were wooden and the people throwing them were colleagues who weren’t actually trying to hurt you.

Well done chaps and chappesses. *raises cuppa tea*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘A vote of thanks to the coppers’ is closed to new replies.