Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • A VERY cheeky request regarding a Trek EX8 WSD…
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I know this is a very cheeky request, so no worries at all if no one responds positively, but…

I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to let me have a quick go on their Trek EX8 WSD?! 🙄

I’m really interested in getting one, but can’t get hold of a demo anywhere. I’m 5’3″ so reckon I’d need a 14.5 or 15.5 and I’m based in Bristol (but do go to Cwmcarn and Afan a fair bit and will be in Devon over the weekend/next week too)

If anyone is willing to let me have a blast I’d also be more than happy to pay a ‘demo fee’ like I would at a shop. Afterall, I’d rather that than spend £1750 on a bike I don’t like! (You’d also be more than welcome to have a go on my ti hardtail if you fancied it)

Yours gratefully, a very cheeky (mountain) monkey 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

can’t you get a demo?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Nope, that’s why I said ‘but can’t get hold of a demo anywhere’

Like I said though, I know it’s a very cheeky request so I totally understand if no one replies – just figured it would be worth an ask. After all – there are some very nice people on here!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Are Trek going to be at Mountain Mayhem this year? No list of manufacturers online yet, but it’d be an ideal opportunity to try out a few different bikes.

namsat
    Free Member

hi there
    i have a trek ex8 wsd from a couple of years ago (2?). It is a 15.5 I think. I would be happy to let you have a ride on it. I know how hard it is to find demo bikes, so let me know if you are interested. I am based near high wycombe.

phildowling
    Free Member

we’ve got a Fuel EX 8 wsd in a 15in on demo if you want? http://ride-bikes.com

South Wales so afan cwmcarn are easy
    Phil

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Look at that. STW sorts it out, once again! 😀

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Semi hi-jack
    While we’re at it, anyone got a pitch pro or pitch comp medium in size for a wee pedal around? south wales/bristol/cheltenham area?
    Friends looking at a 2008 marin rock springs (a friend has a protoype one of these so that’s near enough) or an 09 pitch comp and we all know how rare those are!
    would sitting on an enduro give a similar idea?

radoggair
    Free Member

quarter hi-jack

Peaty, no chance of demo’ing your full susser is there?? 😆

MrsToast
    Free Member

The geometry for the Fuel 8 and 9 WSD models has changed this year – namely, it’s identical to the bloke’s versions! There are more sizes available though – I don’t think the blokes get the option of 15.5″ or 16.5″ frames. Unfortunately I don’t think that’d be much help unless you can demo/borrow a 14.5″ blokes Fuel 8…

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Woohoo! What a result!

Namsat – thank you so much for your offer, that’s really kind of you! I was going to jump at the chance but then read down and saw that Phil’s shop has one to demo. Although, you’re only a couple of hours away, I don’t know the area at all whereas Phil’s shop is near the trails I ride all the time – so I’ll go with that. Thank you so so much though, I really do appreciate it!

Phil – yes please!! That’d be awesome! I’m off sick today 🙁 so will give you a call about booking it out. (Too ill to ride but certainly not too ill to think about it!)

Mrs Toast – that’s very interesting! I’ve just checked the Trek website and the men’s and women’s 15.5s are idential! That’s good to know when looking for the best deal around – cheers. Although I have a feeling I’m going to prefer the 14.5, which is women’s spec only…

Rudeboy – you’re not wrong!

Thanks guys! One (very happy!) cheeky monkey

phildowling
    Free Member

Happy to help and all booked in for you 🙂

Hopefully you’ll like it!

Phil

MrsToast
    Free Member

Yeah Monkey, I was surprised when I found out, it was when I was looking into getting a full-susser myself. Apparently they changed the WSD to the men’s geometry, because they found that in the higher price brackets, women seemed to prefer it. They have the additional sizes to give a bit more choice in the reach department. It’s worth knowing, because you normally get much better deals on blokes’ bikes than on women’s!

I demoed a 15.5 Fuel 8 WSD, and it was pretty much bang-on size-wise for me, and I’m 5ft 2. Of course, people’s preferences and proportions vary – I’m a bit short in the leg department, so with bloke’s bikes standover is normally more of an issue for me rather than reach.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Hiya
    Have you tried Evans Cysles for a demo. I was in there last week and the guy behind the counter cliamed to be able to get any bike off the website as a demo.
    I have an EX8 but a 18.5″ and I LOVE IT!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Phil – I do too! 😀 (I’ve got a demo of a Ornage 5 diva this weekend, but i have to admit I’m a lot more excited about the Trek! Which my husband thinks is strange – but good as the Orange is quite a way over budget!)

Mrs Toast – yep, I guess that makes sense. My current HT isn’t women’s spec and the fit feels perfect – but it is pretty tiny and has a 70mm stem. I must admit, I’m not a fan of squashed up, sitting high women’s bikes – I think that’s why I’m a bit wary of the Diva, I guess I’ll see if Trek are right. I’m longer in the leg, so reach will be issue for me – can’t wait to see how it feels/rides!

Thanks Dimmadan, but I’m sorted now – hooray!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I tried numerous women’s specific bikes, and they were all a bit too short in the top tube for me. The Fuel was fine, but it just made me cross because the brakes and gears were set up badly, so it sadly didn’t really get a fair test.

The women’s Lapierre Zesty was really nice, seemed a bit longer in the top tube than most, but a bit overpriced, and the Orange Diva Long was also good (it has the same frame as the bloke’s 14″ Orange 5!).

It’s a bit of a pain in the arse when you’re too short for a lot of bloke’s small frames, but don’t have the short torso/long leg ratio that most wsd bikes are aimed at. I tried a small Meta, but I had literally no standover, even on my tiptoes the top tube was…er…a bit friendly.

Admittedly, it’s probably worse for the blokes who do have long legs and comparatively short torsos, they probably get a bit more mickey taking for riding a WSD bike…

I got a Stumpjumper FSR in the end, no complaints! \o/

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cool – well at least you checked out the competition! That’s a shame about the Trek – that would really annoy me too, I’m quite annal about my gears so my poor hubby is forever re-adjusting my gears so that they are perfect! (Having said that, he’s got pretty good at it and they’ve settled down now so he’s had a bit of a break!)

I was going to ride a Stumpy when we were on holiday in Spain but it was too big for me – standover wasn’t great and I couldn’t get over the back very easily. I like my frames quite chuckable really.

Yeah, it is frustrating as a short woman rider – especially as many of the manufacturers think either your a woman therefore you’ll be a rubbish rider or you’ll want pink flowers all over your bike – or both! Still at least a few manufacturers are getting it right. But your right it must be even worse for short guys.

I’ve booked a demo of the Zesty too, so looking forward to trying that out although I agree it is quite pricey. I’ve deliberated for weeks whether to demo a 14″ five or the short diva and in the end have gone for the short as, like I say i prefer chuckable frames – but now I’m wondering if I’ve made the wrong choice! It’s just there’s a massive difference – one is TT 20.5 and the other 22! They really need a medium option!

Anyway, long and short of it (no pun intended) is I’ll just see how I get on… Here’s to liking Trek!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘A VERY cheeky request regarding a Trek EX8 WSD…’ is closed to new replies.