• This topic has 79 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • A total dislike of all cycling clothes?
  • ton

just been sorting through a pile of cycling clothing……most of it from 3yrs ago or more.
    who,in there right mind invented clothing that makes your run of the mill bloke look a complete and utter pillock.
    tight lurid lycra has never been my forte, but even black lycra looks wrong imho.

thank god for brands like northface, hagloffs, rab and the like.

anyone else hate cycling clobber?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Much of it is too fashion based, ie baggies that you can get 2 legs into.
    However much of it works well. The look of lycra is irrelevant. for example.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, I never wear any cycling clothing. Thoreau said “Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes”.

teasel
    Free Member

I like it quite tight-fitting; makes me feel like a superhero, albeit a fat one…

scotroutes

Lycra works.
    Function before fashion.
    If you’ve got it, flaunt it.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Don’t get he whole baggies thing, but with dropper posts now there’s not much chance of getting the crotch caught on the back of your saddle.

Not a fan of the while MX look but do like a well made top that’s thermal/wind/waterproof. On the road bike I like lycra on the MB I like comfortable slim fitting clothes.

Anything that flaps around is distracting.

STATO
    Free Member

thank god for brands like northface, hagloffs, rab and the like.

You just changed to looking like a different type of pillock 😆

ton

a comfy unselfconscious pillock, if you dont mind.

somafunk

Have a listen to Grant Peterson of Rivendell Bike Fame talk sense with regard to the state of cycle clothing, his book Just Ride is well worth a read.

Grant Peterson on the Bike Show

adjustablewench
    Free Member

lycra here as i can’t bear things flapping about. and it seems to take the wear and tear better than most fabrics. As for fashion it’s a classic. black tights will always just be black tights

watsontony
    Free Member

errr no lycra ever **** that i dont want to look like i am wearing a gimp suit i already look enough of a **** riding a bike ffs

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I think we have found an area where it is so much easier being a girl 🙂

stufive
    Free Member

I cant stand baggy cloths slapping about when its wet lycra all the way for me…often were some semi baggy shorts over lycra three quater bottoms if its dry 😯

Duggan

There’s no way anybody can look anything but an idiot in cycling clothes so just embrace it, I say.

nickc

Have a listen to Grant Peterson

I’d rather stick needles in my eyes, thanks.

Blower
    Free Member

think fairhurst will point you in the right direction as regards to cycling fashion. 😉

fr0sty
    Free Member

I stood in the Chinese takeaway last week wearing my full lycra clobber having just finished a road ride; the stares I got were incredible.

I put it down to jealousy 🙂

Chicks dig muscly legs, apparently.

composite
    Free Member

crikey
    Free Member

I just wear the right kit for what I’m doing. It seems to be the case these days that everyone is so hung up about what they look like, the number of ‘mountain bikers’ who ride road bikes but insist on wearing baggies and peaked helmets is stupid; like it’s some kind of rebel thing.

Right kit for the job.

ton

crikey…..i agree, warm outdoor clothing for steady outdoor exercise, not wannabee race kit for bumbling along on a 2-3k bike…..like some folk do.

higthepig
    Free Member

My Gran used to say “What will suit the wearer will suit the starer” in other word, what ever you wear someone will point and laugh at you.
    This week I will mainly be wearing baggies and a mountaineering jacket on my road bike and a peak on my helmet, on my MTB I will wear lycra and no peak on the helmet, I buck fashion you see! 😀

vondally
    Free Member

Cycling clothing wide variety but on essence agree with ton
    Road kit mobile billboard euro styles……Robin Williams in lycrq no thanks
    Moto/ cross clowns wear no place here

Lycra shorts sorry pretty essential most baggies liners not as comfy or hard wearing

Best clothing
    Decathlon
    Aldi
    Ground effect
    Roach

scotroutes

If I stand around wearing cycle gear folk assume I’m a cyclist and no one gives a shit.

fr0sty
    Free Member

I also wear lycra on the MTB, 100% of the time. Sans peak.

Do not give a frig.

grum
    Free Member

I just wear the right kit for what I’m doing. It seems to be the case these days that everyone is so hung up about what they look like, the number of ‘mountain bikers’ who ride road bikes but insist on wearing baggies and peaked helmets is stupid; like it’s some kind of rebel thing.

Or…… that’s just the stuff they’ve got already, so they wear it. Maybe you shouldn’t get so hung up over what they look like.

rOcKeTdOg

lycra on the road bike as all the mtb baggy stuff just acts as a wind brake and i need all the help i can get for forward motion, on the mtb baggy is more comfy for hauling my fat carcass up hills and wind resistance ain’t an issue

crikey
    Free Member

Or…… that’s just the stuff they’ve got already, so they wear it. Maybe you shouldn’t get so hung up over what they look like.

I’m not overly concerned about it, but thanks for thinking of me.

ton

people can wear what they want….i do.
    all i am saying is, fat/chubby/lardy,pot bellied middleaged men should not wear lycra. it is plain wrong.
    seriously…….. 😆

theblackmount
    Free Member

Always amused by these ‘whoa no lycra here’ comments….

Usually from folk who wear clown like / below the knee / baggy / flappy monstrosities. Do you guys never ride in the rain? How folk can stand that is beyond me.

composite
    Free Member

Peaked helmets… on a road bike OMG like that’s totally stupid… totally, OMG isn’t it? 🙄

theblackmount
    Free Member

>fat/chubby/lardy,pot bellied middleaged men should not wear lycra.<

Aha – that’s different 😉

ton

hence why i dont wear it mate…… 😀

theblackmount
    Free Member

Fair play- a sense of humour never goes amiss 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Sigh….

I’m talking about the people who insist on wearing mountain bike stuff as a kind of rebellious ‘I’m not wearing lycra because I’m a mountain biker’ despite riding road bikes.

Yes, as grum says, there are people who don’t have loads of kit, but this is STW, where razors, kitchen knives, coffee machines, watches and so on are all considered to be worthy of discussion and spendiness.

My point is that there is the right kit for the job, whether swimming, hill walking, climbing, sleeping or riding bikes. The adoption of the baggy uniform that characterises UK mountain biking does not mean it is the right kit for all bicycle related activity.

…and peaks on mountain bike helmets always seemed silly to me; what do they actually do other than mark the helmet out as a ‘mountain bike’ helmet?

saxabar
    Free Member

Hmm, all of it is functional although some items more functional than others. Be it lycra or baggies – it does not look good… far far from! For mtb I wear baggies and while I could be persuaded into lycra for mtb (I wear it for road anyhow), I’m not sure I can countenance lycra with FiveTens. It feels deeply wrong even typing it 😕

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I look hideous in a suit because I look hideous. Cycle clothing really makes no difference. I wear black mostly to avoid standing out. I do like proper stretchy cycle jerseys with a long back and pockets, over free ride jerseys. And ordinary looking canvas shorts that can take a cycle Chammy Short underneath. I have been wearing tights, a helly base layer and a soft shell all winter out of necessity. I might get some winter cycle trousers for next winter, when they are in the sale.

BadlyWiredDog

What do people wear on cross bikes? Are they road bikes off road, sort of, or off-road bikes on the road. Or both? It really confuses me… 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Ton, you and lyrca are never going to be good bedfellows.

STATO
    Free Member

What do people wear on cross bikes?

Skin-suits

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Can’t beat a set of old Ron Hill’s! Not that I currently own a pair. I have wrecked lots of nice trousers/jeans on the bike. I velcro tape up my drive side leg.

Wish I’d bought more pairs of Shimanho DX shoes though. Aaaagh! Why did they stop making those? They were classy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘A total dislike of all cycling clothes?’ is closed to new replies.