Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 202 total)
  • A thread about sporting legends
  • ianv
    Free Member

Cant do the link thing but:

Michael johnson
    Valerie Bortzof
    Vasiliy Alekseyev

ps. if being a cock means you cant be a sporting legend then Johnny Dawes has to be ruled out.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Erik Gundersen from when I was lad here’s why

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Gundersen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=28R_8t8ta1s[/video]

ianv
    Free Member

I cant do the picture thing but:

Vaseli Alexiev
    Michael Johnson

Ps if being a cock rules out being a legend then you can forget about Johnny Dawes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mefty
    Free Member

I am not sure what my late father would have thought about that kick. He was a kicker for a first class side in his day, straight run and toe punt was his style as it was considered ungentlemanly to kick around the corner – mind you he was a prop.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my childhood hero:

and him on a bike:

DezB
    Free Member

How good is that first Daley T pic… 🙂

RustySpanner

Steve Hislop, just for this:

[video]http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/racing/steve-hislop-norton-f1-vs-carl-12466.htm[/video]

1992 Senior TT.
    I was lucky enough to watch from the Gooseneck, should really have been supporting Foggy as he was local to me, but Hislop deserved the win.

A very decent man and greatly missed.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

As requested, Hawk 900 and not to be out done, Hoffman no-handed 900.

[/url][/img][/url][/img]

anagallis_arvensis

Not looked at the thread, but for all time greats of british sport this man cannot be left out (just dont mention tax)

won his first race at the age of 12 in 1948 and his last in 1994 aged 59. won the derby 9 times, champion jockey 11 times.

after 5 years without racing he made a comeback
    and rode the winner of the richest mile race in the world within 10 days aged 55 with a display of timing, skill and no little power which was, is and always will be breath taking.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThhBVc0bA[/video]

iDave
    Free Member

jamie bestwick – respek

surfer
    Free Member

A mate of mine walked up to Lester Piggot at Aintree once and asked him for a tip (I lived a few 00 yds from Aintree racecourse so bunked in every year as a kid)

Q: “Hey Lester any tips?”
    A: (In his deadpan way) “ye, do all your shag*** before your 50”

I kid you not!

juan
    Free Member

Well I think elf has a point. A legend is someone that is know from anyone. You may don’t give a toss about football or boxing, but you know names such as Pele or Mohammed ali, micheal jordan ayrton senna, michael schumacher and valentino rossi. Most of the other personna display on this thread don’t fill the requirement for being a legend (mine for example is a perfect joe no-one, even though he is the most titled athlete on earth). See before he cheated against ireland, I was sure henry was retired.

iDave
    Free Member

my legends fit my definition of legend

mefty
    Free Member

Juan I disagree, I would suggest the right word to describe the sports people you mention is “icons”.

juan
    Free Member

Isn’t icon a religious term?

Edric64
    Free Member

icon as in i conned the taxman( Lester Piggot)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mefty
    Free Member

Juan – yes but it has a secular meaning as well which I would loosely define in this context as someone whose image is representative of their sport (or in the case of some, probably more.)

Edric – very droll.

andrewh
    Free Member

Phidippides.

End of thread.

aracer
    Free Member

Skiing legend Glenn Plake

Who?

Here are some real skiing legends:

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don’t expect he’s been mentioned yet, minority sport and all that. British legend Andy Mapple, 18 x World champion, 18 x world rank No.1 and umpteam times Masters champ etc. The best slalom skier in the world for 20+ years, a household name and reveared as a sporting god in The USA, virtually unknown in the UK. Comes from Preston in Lancs and learnt to ski on lake Windermere, Cumbria.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Adam Jones – seriously? Not even one of the best props in the UK let alone the world.

Spaceman
    Free Member

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Randy….sideways

[/url][/img]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Following Andy Mapple retiring a few years ago, Will Asher is the latest UK star who’s recently won World Champs, masters etc. 10 years ago, there was a strong UK group, now only Will Asher, but he’s one of the best in the world.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

As my wife would say, ‘good arms!’

Rochey
    Free Member

What a thread, cheers

anagallis_arvensis

Adam Jones – seriously? Not even one of the best props in the UK let alone the world.

Adam jones is a legend for his interviews!! Not a legend true but name a better tighthead prop in the UK? He is a British Lion test starter who saved the Lions scrum from a pasting after the beast bent Vickery in half and chucked him in the air.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Skiing legend Glenn Plake

Who?

A top man with a killer haircut! Was in London the other day, as it happens!

Adam is indeed a legend! As AA says, he’s the best 3 in the UK today and that’s a position which wins games. Also, his interview…..! Genius!

metalheart
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

Not convinced by your last pic – Ulrich never quite achieved what he was capable of, so not really a legend. You’ve also got some other bloke in the foreground.

cynic-al
    Free Member

heh

metalheart
    Free Member

You may not like, respect or admire the guy you cannot argue that Lance isn’t a genuine sporting legend.
    But yeah, the Kaiser’s inclusion was deliberate…

flap_jack
    Free Member

Lance. By whatever means he won, I don’t care. They were all cheating. But, he loves the bike. And his fightback on the cobbles this year was truly awesome to behold, real one man against the peloton stuff. Next year’s tour will be dull…

RustySpanner

Good one of Joe Brown, Metalheart.

I suppose we’d better have these two as well – two very different legends:

Whillans doesn’t look impressed with the photographer. Bet it hurt getting that camera out. 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Flapjack: yup. And tweeting anybody fancy a ride in Paisley tomorrow is definitely legend!

Rusty: I was trying to find a photo of both of them together but stopped when I found that one of Joe… Plus he wasn’t called the villain for nought you know. Even more repugnant than Lance it would seem!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Tiger of the Himalaya, as he was known by the Nepalese locals. He was known otherwise by the Rottenstall Rossers.

anagallis_arvensis

I met Chris Bonnington a few times, wouldnt write what i think of him here it would be ungentlemanly. I am suprised he could tie his shoelaces on his own though, let alone climb a mountain.

Edric64
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbWevU43sCw

Joey Dunlop anyone? don’t think he has been mentioned yet

julianwilson
    Free Member

Is what he does these days still a sport? Also an awesome example of a whole generation of frenchmen who thought long hair was a great idea.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘A thread about sporting legends’ is closed to new replies.