Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 202 total)
  • A thread about sporting legends
  • tails
    Free Member

haha! Name droppers! Is there anything worse than a name dropper.

Dickyboy

Alex Zinardi, for getting sliced in half & still racing competitively.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cor. Check out that backsplash 🙂

MrSparkle

Proper chaps

roper
    Free Member

Might not be a sportist but a sporting fellow never the less.
    [list]

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Two for the price of one.

“Ladies and gentlemen, here is the result of event 9, the one mile: 1st, No. 41, R.G. Bannister, Amateur Athletic Association and formerly of Exeter and Merton Colleges, Oxford, with a time which is a new meeting and track record, and which – subject to ratification – will be a new English Native, British National, All-Comers, European, British Empire and World Record. The time was 3 min 59.4 sec”

thepurist

One film I’ll definitely be seeing next year.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tom Curren. Slater has won more but Curren’s style is still where it’s at.

nedrapier

surfer
    Free Member

@Mr Sparkle

Possibly the greatest fell runner of all time?

crikey
    Free Member

Stuartie Cs climber borrowed a shirt from me in 1984, wonder if he’ll ever give it back, the little monkey

crikey
    Free Member

Houns

Both

cynic-al
    Free Member

I disagree that to be a sporting legend you must extend beyond the fandom of your own sport. Many will do so at the whim of the press, and it rules out minority sports.

DezB
    Free Member

Sugar Ray

and Sugar Ray

flebby
    Free Member

far far too many dicks on the dancefloor

now we’re talking 🙂

Macavity
    Free Member

Freddy Maertens; twice world champion, 13 stage wins in 1977 Vuelta a España, 8 stage wins in 1976 Tour de France.
    His book Fall from Grace is worth a read.

MrSparkle

Surfer – nice guy is Holmsey but shurley Billy Bland would rate no.1? Plenty of time for young Mr Jebb though…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

[/img]

spesh
    Free Member

I give you the one and only …

spesh
    Free Member

… and not forgetting his trusty sidekick Peter …

iDave
    Free Member

Travis Pastrana – on so many levels is he a legend…

nickname
    Free Member

A most splended tash!

Pook

a better ‘tache

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

First solo round the world – only a boat full of fags & booze for company

molgrips
    Free Member

Egg chasing:

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Apart from the countless world titles and nine dart finishes, Theres this throw.

molgrips
    Free Member

Climbing – but were they heroes or fools? They are certainly very famous.

(It’s Irving and Mallory btw, not that I’d have recognised them from this pic)

Pembo
    Free Member

I like Bannister but always thought breaking the 4 minute mile was an overrated achievement. Who remembers the first person to run under 10secs for the 100m or 20secs for the 200m, or 13 minutes for the 5k etc etc. These types of records are no more important than any world record.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pembo – it was a big deal because although 4 mins is indeed arbitrary, it was widely claimed to be impossible. So it captured the public imagination when it was done.

surfer
    Free Member

I think they are significant. Maybe they shouldnt be but they are symbolic.

I posted a picture of the first man inside 13 mins for 5k on page 1. Said Aouita.

Pembo
    Free Member

Only ‘impossible’ because of the mental weakness that made people believe it couldn’t be done. Plus there was a major setback to athletics caused by WW2 so the record had been around for a while. Still a good achievement but IMHO not deserving of legend status.

If a non-Brit had broken that record how many people on here would know who they were?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

One you have probably never heard of, but possibly our greatest ever runner
    Unknown Hero

molgrips
    Free Member

not deserving of legend status

Depends what the definition of ‘legend’ is doesn’t it? You could argue that it just refers to someone very famous, which Bannister is. Or you could argue that legendary status would be conferred by some kind of heroic or unique achievement, in which case many people would qualify despite most people never having heard of them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Has anybody mentioned Lance yet? Love him or loath him, he’s a legend

As is Carl Fogarty….

For me though
    JMC
    Mike Hailwood
    Joey Dunlop
    Dave Jeffries
    And of course the G.O.A.T. Valentino Rossi

schrickvr6
    Free Member

JCL
    Free Member

AC.

Junior Downhill World Champion: 1993, 1994, 1995
    Downhill World Champion: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005
    Dual World Champion: 2000, 2001
    4X World Champion: 2002, 2003
    Olympic Champion: 2008

Good luck finding better stats.

Blackhound

Back to Surfers post of this morning I do not recall being answered they are:

Dave Bedford (once ‘beat’ him in a fun run when he was almost 40 – I was wrecked)
    Brendan Foster
    Steve Jones – once saw him at a running show exhibition thing – still national record holder. Is it Nick Rose behind, don’t think it is Hugh Jones).

I would add Kenny Stuart or Helen Diamantides or perhaps Yvette Hague as legends in minor sports, I have been in the same race as them but I would not say I raced them.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Tommy Smith (C) and John Carlos (R) Pictured at the 1968 Olympics transcending sport and jeopardising their careers for a belief.

For Pembo It was also another arbitrary record. The first time 20 seconds was broken for 200 metres.

Blackhound

I read a few weeks ago that Tommy Smith’s gold medal was for sale – hope he got a lot for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘A thread about sporting legends’ is closed to new replies.