Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • A things you dog has eaten thread
  • Alex

So we love our 9 month old lab Amber but she’s a chewer in the way our other lab never was. I’m mostly wise to her ways now having learned the hard lessons through FIVE pairs of shoes which suffered a mauling from destructo-lab.

So at night we shut all the doors downstairs and move anything chewable out of range. This has worked well. Until this morning

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SsTd1W]Amber's new favourite chew toy ![/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Yes, she’s eaten the TV remote. I blame my daughter for watching too much rubbish TV. The dog clearly decided to also show her critical displeasure by chewing the end off the remote. Thankfully she stopped short of the batteries.

I think we’re probably going to need a new one. Surely this isn’t just me it’s happening too. Cheer me up with pictures of dog-based-destruction!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hahahhahaa!
    Oh the hilarity.

I had two Springers, the hyperactive one ate the sofa, curtains (he left one not the right), the carpet in front of the open fire, chewed his way through a dinghy main sheet, his wicker basket. The placid one watched in awe.

Drac

Powerball.

wallop

An old friend of ours once got himself a new girlfriend. The morning after she’d stayed over for the first time, the dog jumped onto the bed, only to turn round and present her bum hole with a rubber johnny hanging out of it.

oldnpastit

– Remote control.
    – Several pairs of shoes.
    – Bike helmet (only a few weeks old, but to be fair he was in the back of the car with it).
    – Two sofas.
    – About half of a bag of dried dogfood he managed to break his way into.
    – Numerous packs of butter.
    – Several loaves of bread, frozen sliced is his fave.
    – His bed. And the plastic bed that came after that.
    – Two mouse mats.
    – The corner from a pannier bag. I tried asking Altura for help but apparently it’s not covered by the “warranty”.

chakaping
    Free Member

An old friend of ours once got himself a new girlfriend. The morning after she’d stayed over for the first time, the dog jumped onto the bed, only to turn round and present her bum hole with a rubber johnny hanging out of it.

😆

Thanks for that.

Though I had to re-read to be sure whose bumhole we were talking about.

wallop

😆

onehundredthidiot

Older dog rifled through the bin. We thought we’d accounted for most of the non consumables.

4 weeks later he was sick. Something the colour, smell and shape of a large jobbie.

It was the square of absorbant material that come in packaged chicken. The smell of his belches has improved.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

In no particular order:
    Brand new Teva trekking sandals worn twice.
    The end of a Dune Limited edition
    Wallpaper (on the wall)
    Lower calf of a new excel wetsuit
    Whicker furniture in conservatory (sent to the garden with no pudding for that one!)
    Cushions – numerous (though they may have spontaneously exploded going on the mess)

maccruiskeen

Went on a trip the Farne Islands with our dog on a tiny little boat. He usually liked to find a really big stick and walk about with it when we were out. With no sticks on the island he settled for a 6ft long seaweed holdfast. Bit chewier than wood, so he gave it a good old chew and then when we weren’t watching he ate nearly the whole thing – reappearing with just a 1ft long stump.

On the crowded little boat back to the main land – passengers huddled on both sides him standing in the middle – he barfed it all back up again. We all had to do that leg- in-the-air thing when the house is getting hoovered as a lake of foamy gelatinous stringy purple vomit slopped side to side across the deck.

muggomagic

When I was a kid our dog ate my dad’s wallet. There were bits of leather and pound notes all over the kitchen. This was when people were paid in cash and he’d only been paid the day before.

maccruiskeen

Wallpaper (on the wall)

My folks dogs did that as a puppy – choosing the hardest to hang, hardest to access, longest drop on the stairs. My dad wrestled the scraps out of his mouth and carefully collaged the bits of wallpaper back on again as he couldn’t face having to redecorate.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Our Jack Russell has a thing about balloons. He pops them then eats them straight away, I’m sure one day his poo is going to come out already bagged up 😆

Rich_s

Mine ate the letter R off my keyboard.

wallop

Dogs are proper mingers.

drewd

Our current one has been pretty good, but she was supervised pretty much constantly as a puppy. We take toys and treats off her when she has killed them though as she gets them stuck in her mouth or chokes on them when they’re too small.

She did chew through some headphone cables. She also ate a baby wipe she found in the park on a walk though. A quick trip to the vets later and she fine.

My parents dogs have eaten curtains, sofas, beds, remotes, CDs, power leads etc.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Reading this makes me appreciate how little our spaniel chews! 😯
    We did once find a full mesh net thing that goes round a beef joint integrated in to her poo. It was almost ready wrapped.
    The main problem is stopping her eating the cat’s food. Apparently my solution of getting rid of the cat isn’t the right answer 🙄

antigee

our 2 year old is pretty good – when younger did an odd line in ladies knicks and socks but a bit like Pink Floyd has got over it – ate a dead rat last month (how much does it cost to get a vet to make a dog puke – Ok so that is a skill i have to buy in and accept) next day found and tried to eat a dead possum in park – thought stuff that those buggers fall out of trees all the time not get poisoned – still here so that is good

zippykona

Memories of standing on a carrier bag as my dog waddled away like a magician pulling a coloured hanky out of his mouth.
    A complete kangaroo skin, most of my mums fur coat, a wasp, some balloons, the cable to the standard lamp (bang) and a lug worm …as it was cast by an angler…on a hook.
    I bet that’s the only time he used a disgourger on a dog.

tenfoot

My 9 month old has eaten her bed, which I find bizarre. She’s also had the cards out of my wallet, I had to tap the tooth marks out with a hammer, to be able to use them in a cash machine. My fault for leaving the wallet around. The remote has chew marks in it, she chewed through our LAN Cable, I no longer have a pair of flip flops, any toys we buy her only last 5 minutes and to top it off, she’s started digging holes in the back garden.

Puppies eh?

cloudnine
    Free Member

We were having a BBQ last summer and my black lab stole a skewered kebab off the table when nobody was looking.
    The thing is he ate the whole thing.
    Down the hatch in one big swallow.
    Half an hour later he was crying, whimpering and generally moaning.
    Nobody knew what he’d eaten.
    Fast Forward 2 days and he was vomitting and becoming more uncomfortable and distressed so i took him to an emergency vets clinic.
    Vet thought he had an infection and was put on Antibiotics.
    Forward another week and he was still in pain, not eating much but in visible amounts of pain.
    A large lump appeared on his side.
    Vet was scratching head.. and was thinking aggressive cancer.
    More antibiotics and metacam.
    Another week later and we are preparing for the worst as he’s still not eating and still distressed.
    Another strange lump appears on his hip and swells up with a strange hard lump in the middle.
    That evening something breaks the skin and is slightly poking out of his hip.
    I take a closer look.. and WTF as i start pulling the thing sticking out of his back hip (still dont have a clue what he’s eaten).
    Keep pulling.. and out slides a full 5 inch kebab stick totally intact.
    Another vet trip and dog now achieves celebrity status in the practice as all the vets cant believe he’s still alive. One cleanup operation later and he’s back to normal 2 weeks later.

soobalias
    Free Member

best two i can remember.

dozen chicken drumsticks, from under the grill (head height) including foil – the only evidence that there were ever any was that the grill was on and the empty packaging in the bin.

2lbs pic n mix (choccies, toffees, boilled sweets etc) including wrappers

theotherjonv

We were having a BBQ last summer and my black lab ……

and he’s back to normal 2 weeks later.

Being a lab, he’d happily go through it again for another kebab.

**** it, half a kebab.

Alex

Brilliant. And somewhat disturbing.

Amber has eaten her bed as well. One morning she’d shredded a newspaper and plastic bags as well. It looked like a Tracey Emin installation 😉

Oh and she’s partial to a bit of pine furniture as well. She knows she’d done wrong and we do try and steer her to the toy box, but she just can’t help herself…

I’ve just had to pull her out of the river as she managed to get stuck between two steep banks. Then had to stop the silly bugger just diving back in!

theotherjonv

But i always post this when this thread comes up. Fitz the recidivist mutt, sadly* no longer with us (my mate Adam’s dog)

(* happily if you are Sir David, I assume)

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/1534693.dog_that_wolfed_sir_davids_cheese/

Alex

Proper LOL. One and a Half Kilos! Via 3 doors. Good effort that 🙂

cardo

Our family yellow lab eat the Budgie !
    It tried to land on her head but the dog had other ideas and swallowed it whole….

pocketrocket
    Free Member

We no longer have her but our cross terrier demolished, my glasses (2 pairs), my socks, my liner shorts, the gate, the board that I put over the hole in the gate, the wheel of the wheelie bin, the corner of the skirting, and a perfectly half round bite out of a model aircraft wing that had taken many hours of work, along with licking the glass on the iguana tank so much, it was impossible to clean.
    Coupled with the fact she was an absolute loon that seemed to come out with a different annoying habit every couple of weeks she was challenging to say the least!

joebristol

I must show this thread to the wife as it certainly makes me feel better about our dog.

Cute little fluffy white Cavachon that looks like butter wouldn’t melt.

She’s feeling neglected since we got a baby – I’d say I’m still paying the dog mostly the same amount of attention, but my wife has dropped the dog like a hot stone now she has a baby.

The dog is fine with the baby, but when being ignited she’s ripping stuff up / chewing things.

So far we’ve lost 3 dog beds, a couple of door mats, a pedometer, a bottle of infacol and 2 baby toys. However last night she went the next step and chewed the edge of the stair carpet – which is only a few years old and will be expensive / time consuming to sort out.

The wife is currently insisting the dog needs to be re-homed. She’s already offered Molly to my parents! Got a dog behaviourist involved who has suggested this morning we get a collar (I forget the brand) that gives off pheromones that calms the dog down.

Fingers crossed his helps until the dog gets used to the new ‘normal’ with an extra little human in the house.

Alex

I think cardo may have won the thread. I was definitely considering the Lab-Kebab as leading the race, but eating the budgie whole.. that’s going to take some beating!

Sandwich

We did once find a full mesh net thing that goes round a beef joint integrated in to her poo. It was almost ready wrapped.

That and the kebab, two lucky dogs and owners. My last Dalmatian was put down as a result of peritonitis caused by string from a meat joint that cut his gut open. We aren’t certain if he ate the string off our counter or from a piece of fat dropped by the local magpies.

midlifecrashes

My sister has a young labrador. Usual damage of toys, beds, furniture etc. While out on a walk a vole scurried across the path in front of him, he leans down and hoovers him up, down in one, all over in a quarter of a second.

Weeks later, playing with tennis balls, he has one ball in his mouth, spots the other one, so swallows the one he has to make room. Big vet bill to open him up and get it out. Nutter.

sandwicheater

In very much the same boat. She’s nine now and has grown out of destruction but from memory;

Three pairs of wellies
    1m of plaster from the wall (yep, down to the brick)
    Two lino floors
    Two pairs of glasses
    Two pairs of trainers
    Various bits of clothing
    A DVD box set of the wire on loan from a friend
    A kettle (very lucky, chewed through the cable, had replaced the RCD the weekend before)
    The handles of all our good knives (i still don’t know how she didn’t cut herself, her bed was just a sea of sharp things)
    A Conti Vert tyre off my bike (it was bloody new!!)
    Numerous dog beds
    Couple of TV remotes
    Many many more single DVD’s and CD’s
    This rubber chicken (expensive vet bill later)
    [/url]Untitled by Phillip Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

and more dead things than i care to remember. This dead rabbit i remember fondly when i received a call from my wife after it re-appeared

[/url]Bad dog by Phillip Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

She’s ace.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maybe i should add the other various things my dog has broken and chewed..
    1 Pair Oakleys
    Chewed through the bars of one wooden stair gate.
    Has ripped off/ chewed up 3 different cat flaps trying to get outside.
    Removed the downstairs toilet from the wall trying to get behind it when we were all out. Flooded the whole downstairs of the house.
    Various parcels, mail.
    Several leads have been eaten.

padkinson
    Free Member

Our Lurcher isn’t at all greedy, she barely gets through a bowl of food a day and prefers to hide treats for later rather than wolf them down, but when presented with an opportunity to steal things she’s like a ninja.

Once managed to eat a large block of pate from the middle of a table that was covered in other stuff, without any sign of disturbance, just a clean plate and a very pleased dog.
    She also took a wedge of Parmesan off the table while we were eating without any of us noticing, it was only when we heard her gnawing through it that we realised it was gone!

sandwicheater

Flooded the whole downstairs of the house.

That dog deserves a medal, jolly well done!

Not enough photos for my liking on a dog thread.

Flounces off to you tube to watch dog videos to get his fix.

Alex

A Conti Vert tyre off my bike

– she’s done you a favour there

A TOILET? An entire piece of sanity wear? Off the wall? That’s really quite something!

maccruiskeen

Oh and she’s partial to a bit of pine furniture as well.

My first proper grown-up adult home, rather than studenty flat, was mostly furnished with hand-me-downs from my folks. It included a nearly new 8 seater dining table and chairs with teeth marks in every leg.

deviant
    Free Member

The usual mix of shoes, cushions, beds, toys etc but the funniest one:

We briefly lived at a place with no hard division between our property and next door, just a hedge. Our two Jack Russells could easily get through and would frequently stray into next doors garden, the people who lived there were very patient and never kicked up a fuss.
    One lovely summer day our door is open and the dogs are coming and going freely, next door have their doors open and we could smell the unmistakable loveliness of a roast dinner in progress.
    Unfortunately so could the dogs.
    A short while later the larger of the two Jacks arrives home dragging a freshly roasted leg of lamb with him, I can only assume that while next door left the meat to rest/stand that the dog had committed the heist.
    Next door never mentioned it and neither did we, like I said, they were patient people.

maccruiskeen

Flooded the whole downstairs of the house.
    That dog deserves a medal, jolly well done!

A narrow escape but….. one of our dogs, whilst trying to investigate the edibility of anything that might be in a pan on the cooker, managed to turn on dials and fill the house with gas. Luckily we came home in daylight so were aware of the smell before we had a chance to flick any light switches.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘A things you dog has eaten thread’ is closed to new replies.