Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A (stupid?) campervan leisure battery charging question
  • IHN

The campervan (T5, natch) has hook-up and a leisure battery. The leisure battery charges either from the engine via a ‘dumb’ split voltage-sensing relay, or via the hook-up via a ‘smart’ charger. Everything in the van (fridge, lights, stereo, water pump) runs off the battery, not directly off the hook-up.

There’s always a reasonable amount of charge in the battery from general van use, but if we’re going away in it away from hook-up, I tend to plug it in for 24 hours-ish beforehand so the battery can charge fully via the ‘smart’ charger.

Is there any advantage in plugging it in for longer than that before a non hook-up trip, say 48/72 hours, to give the battery a somehow ‘better’ charge?

convert

Doubt it. One overnight is more than enough to get the battery on to trickle charge. And you’ll be driving from home to wherever too.

No idea about the technology of your fridge but that is the big energy user in your list. Two things that really help….. 1. fill it up completely with really cold(ideally frozen) things before you set off. Frozen meals for later on the trip that can just thaw slowly. Cold beer. Even frozen tins of beans or orange juice. You just want the absolute minimum air in there and maximum cold/frozen stuff. 2. bring in ‘house rules’ about opening the fridge – every time you open it all your cold air and therefore battery capacity falls out. Keep opening it to the absolute minimum.

Solar panels are obviously the main way to make a big difference.

IHN

Yeah, thought as much, ta.

The fridge is a Waeco condenser job, top opening so cold air falling out isn’t too much of a problem but, yeah, it’ll get fully packed before we go.

Keep looking at solar panels…

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

We found some stick down panels for our van. Went with as many as the roof could fit, 200w. the flexible ones are less effective than the solid panels but they don’t stick out into the air flow or make the van higher than it was.

IHN

Interesting, got a link?

How/where did you route the cable(s) back in to the van?

IHN

….and, how/where did you stick them on the roof of the van, cos it’s ridged/channelled, right? Or did you just stick them across the ridges/channels?

sparksmcguff

Thought I’d be facing a hefty bill for new leisure batteries this year. The habitation check showed batteries were in good order. I always try to plug the van in when I’m not using it for a few days for the trickle charge rather than just before I go away. Seems to have worked.

phil5556

I’m just sitting in my van browsing on here after fitting a new leisure battery. Old one lasted 5 years which isn’t bad, especially as I think the cheapy solar controller has been overcharging it all the time – oops.

So I’ve also upgraded our solar panel controller at the same time and apparently the 100W panel is currently charging at 13.8v and between 3.7 to 4.6A. It’s always been enough to keep the battery indefinitely running the top loading fridge & other (basic) electrics.

Our panel is sikaflexed on across the ridges and cables I drilled holes straight through the roof. If you’re a bit more precious about your van you can run them to the back and in near the tail lights.

We have hookup but I only ever plug it in over winter to run a dehumidifier.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s always a reasonable amount of charge in the battery from general van use, but if we’re going away in it away from hook-up, I tend to plug it in for 24 hours-ish beforehand so the battery can charge fully via the ‘smart’ charger.

Hang on – you’re asking if it’ll help to start with a full battery? I can’t see how the answer isn’t yes?

IHN

Hang on – you’re asking if it’ll help to start with a full battery? I can’t see how the answer isn’t yes?

I’m asking, if I plug the van in for a ‘smart’ charge for 48/72 hours before I go away, will it get the leisure battery fuller than if I plug it in for a ‘smart charge’ for 24 hours. Both scenarios would be starting from a ‘basically full but from a dumb charge’ level achieved by running the van.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The answer is it depends on how ‘full’ it is before either charge. I have a mains smart charger and the van stays plugged in when not in use to let it maximise the batteries.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

dumb charging takes 16-24hrs (from memory)
    a smart charger would aim to be quicker
    leaving it for 72 hrs would be pointless

top opening so cold air falling out isn’t too much of a problem but, yeah, it’ll get fully packed before we go.

When you open the lid the air will be whooshed around in all sorts of ways thus guaranteeing a load of warmer air makes its way in.

Those plastic barriers that some shops use would help a lot. Maybe you can fashion a kind of DIY alternative. Or, open the lid really, really, really, really slowly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A (stupid?) campervan leisure battery charging question’ is closed to new replies.