Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • A sticky question… What moisturizer?
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

OK I’ll fess up, I’m a grown man and I’ve used moisturizer on my face arms and legs for years, post shower and a shave; don’t we all? Force of habit, has always had me buying and applying Palmer’s cocoa butter formula. Smells nice, doesn’t feel too greasy and seems to get the job done. I’ve looked at the palm oil issues and this seems to be a conundrum for a lot of products of this type. However, and this is the really dumb part of my confessional, the realisation that in applying this stuff to my face, when I ride or do other activities in the rain, my eyes can sometimes sting and water. To the point where, on a recent coast to coast ride, I had to stop the bike because I was having difficultly seeing! Yes, call me stupid, for not connecting the moisturizer with this problem until now!!
    So my question (apologies for rant), is if you use a facial moisturizer, what do you use, which is eye friendly and isn’t going to contribute to the destruction of the rainforests? For the record, I’ve just picked up a tin of ‘Nivea Men’ cream for face, body, hands, as it was on offer at my local Saintsbury’s. But I’ve yet to try it!
    Just off for a run and looking forward to the replies and usual mockery on my return…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Facial moisturiser – Aldi Q10, over my shiny napper too as it has SPF20 in there.

Cheap as chips, very good.

cinnamon_girl

At this time of year it’s better that it does not have an SPF cos you need all the vit D you can get!

northernsoul

Simple Replenishing: effective and hassle free, has some UV filters, odour free, doesn’t sting in the eyes and is non-comedogenic.

lunge

Aldi Man sensitive stuff or Wilko post shave balm are both easy absorbing and not greasy. As you can tell, I’m a big spender in this area!

martinhutch

My recommendation is emollient cream – odour free, designed for very sensitive skin. Has a paraffin base, so if you put your normal amount on (too much), it will not only run into your eyes, but you could spontaneously combust*.

*This is a true thing for people who use lots on their body – the paraffin gradually builds up on their clothing, presenting awesome ‘human torch’ opportunities.

On second thoughts, maybe something else, although setting yourself alight is excellent for colder rides.

I use it every day post shaving though, and have never noticed it running into my eyes when it rains.

Coyote
    Free Member

Neutrogena works for me.

sparkyrhino

Grease filled Comms cable, I’ve got the hands of 20 year old🤘🏼

sparkyrhino

Grease filled Comms cable, I’ve got the hands of 20 year old🤘🏼

sparkyrhino

Bit slippy though, causes double posts

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hydranol in the shower, smells like paraffin slightly. Not so much in a different league to most moisturisers as a different sport

badgerbater
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll definitely take a look at these alternatives. Although I think I’ll stay away from the paraffin based products for fear of the human torch syndrome, if there’s such a thing!

midlifecrashes

It’s a thing, unfortunately.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1516089/Crafty-fag-patient-is-burned-to-death.html

As for the moisturizer, I’ve been given Nivea, Bull something or other and Dove as part of Christmas toiletry gift bags and found them all pretty similar, though I’ve never persevered with any a couple of days beyond new year.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bog standard Boots fragrance-free basics stuff for me – light, rubs in quickly and never, ever stings.

hodgynd
    Free Member

RockFace.. formulated for those who work outdoors ..err ..apparently.
    Bought mine in Tesco..
    If I’m going out and want to smell nice ..Clarins

mrb123
    Free Member

I’ve always used Aveeno, the green one. A tube seems to last for months.

The blue one is a bit thicker and only really needed if you have some skin issues.

chevychase

@badgerbaiter “don’t we all”?

No. 🙂

Used to moisturise like a biatch – I suffer from dry skin on the face especially. From the age of 15 until about 40.

Then, after a number of years reading the odd hippie article in the mainstream press (and then reading the science) I gave up all astringents and moisturisers. I.e. no soap, shampoo or moisturiser in six years.

Result? Skin is better than it ever has been, I smell less and, weirdly, I’ve not had so much as a sniffle in all that time.

Only exception is my hands – which I use soap on when dirty.

I could go deep into reasons, and a lot of people react in horror (including my friends, until they saw the results).

But the bottom line is: epic win. Better for my skin, better for my health, better for the environment and loads cheaper to boot.

anagallis_arvensis

don’t we all

No, never have.

kayla1
    Free Member

If you can be arsed to make your own, make your own. I use shea butter, bit of coconut oil + a smidge of a liquid oil (rapeseed or olive will do) to keep it from setting too hard and whip it all together. I found that shop-bought moisturisers were sort of self-perpetuating, like the more you use the more you need to use. I used to get really dry skin in the winter but now it’s nowhere near as bad. Add less liquid oil to make a nice lip balm.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘A sticky question… What moisturizer?’ is closed to new replies.