Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A snow holiday.
  • Chase
    Free Member

Thinking about taking the kids (9 and 5)somewhere to see some proper snow in February, but just wondering whether it’s worth it. Not really wanting to do the whole ‘ski’ thing. Obviously worried that there might not be enough to do if we don’t get immersed in the whole winter sports thing.

Has anybody done similar, or got any suggestions on where would be good.

Thanks.

jam-bo

why would you want to see proper snow and not ski/board on it?

snowslave

If you don’t want to ski/board, you’ll still be paying a premium to see the snow cos Feb is peak season time? I suppose you could go somewhere like the Costa Del Sol and drive up to look at some snow in the Sierra Nevadas, but it’d be an odd thing to do…

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

kids will love it and so will you………..guaranteed! I mean, whats not to dislike?? Mountains, fresh air, scenery, learning to do something new and of course a couple of beers afterwards! Get it booked!

Spongebob
    Free Member

kids will love it and so will you………..guaranteed! I mean, whats not to dislike??

French ski instructors?

Blizzards?

But in the main, skiing is awesome. Just make sure that if it’s you first time NOT to give up. It will take a couple of holidays to get to the point where you can get around with any great confidence.

Look up “where to ski” online or get the book. This will give you better advice than any chat forum (no disrespect guys).

(been skiing 25 years now)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My folks took me to a ski resort for the first time when I was 4ish. Gran looked after me whilst the folks went skiing. A couple of years later I joined in the skiing too and have been for (nearly) every one of the 30 years since and can heartily recommend it.

HOWEVER, since you did say you don’t want to do the whole ski thing, be very careful what resort you choose. I wouldn’t recommend going to the Sierra Nevada if you’re not going to ski. It can be very cold and very windy and is not the most interesting resort to just “mooch around”.

I’d recommend Chamonix. You could probably do it quite cheaply, there’s loads to do other than ski/climb and you’re beneath the highest mountain in Europe. The cable car up to the Aiguille du Midi is particularly impressive and will either exhilarate or terrify the kids. On the downside it is not what you’d call “quaint”.

Avoid the purpose built French resorts. They are great for skiing but invariably ugly. Go for a traditional resort, which the Austrians seem to be good at, but make sure it ticks the boxes for the non-ski activities e.g. swimming pool, ice rink, sleigh rides etc etc.

beanum

You could also consider Zermatt or Grindlewald. Both have impressive “famous” mountains to see (just like Chamonix), but they also have trains that can take you up the mountain, just in case the kids wig out on a gondola.. 🙂
    In addition, the architecture is very typically Swiss ski resort and there are other activities to do away from the slopes.

lunge

Ruka in Norway may be an option.

It is a small and very picturesque place near the Arctic Circle. There are lots to do including dog sledding, forest walks and a chance to see the Northern lights if you are lucky. You can ski/board there as well; it has about 35km of piste which is not enough for established skiers but more than enough if you want to try your hand at it. Above all (looking at what you want) it has masses of snow for the kids and Norway is a really friendly place as well. Not to expensive to get to either.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you are not doing the ‘whole ski thing’ then don’t go for an established resort where you pay a premium for having a large complex of ski fields (and the associated huge ski lift costs).

We have recently designed this site for a couple with a place or two in a very unusual resort in Slovakia…
    SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Chase
    Free Member

Thanks peeps. Some interesting comments there.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Yes, steer clear of big resorts. The downsides are – crowds, expensive lift passes that you won’t use, mostly geared towards skiing only.

The “Where to Ski” guide will give you the low down on all resorts. It even has a resort finder. It’s the skier’s bible!

mugsys_m8

Norway, as suggested higher up is not a bad idea. Plus your near the Arctic, so presents an extra snow like twist.

If you’re not wanting to ski…then I’d try skiing. Bear with me. I mean cross country ski ing. Avoids all the faff and the Timothy and Imelda’s and the resorts. For this, Norway is great, but I’ll stick my 2p in and suggest the Jura. Immediatley north of Geneva along the border of France and Switzerland. Easy access. It would even be worhtwhile for a long weekend. Have a play on the planks. Hire kit is dead cheap and dead easy to arrange.Signposted prepared trails, Then you can go sledging, snow shoeing, sittng in nice local not ski set cafe’s, visitng Comte (the local cheese) factories etc etc.

For accommadtion there are loads of great value gites which offer half board and are very family orientted dishing u plocal food etc. None of this generic pizza in a concrete jungle on top of a mountain rubbish.

Contact me if you want further details. We live about an hor away from the Jura.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A snow holiday.’ is closed to new replies.