Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A slightly different kind of tyre question (I hope)
  • tb927
    Free Member

I’m building up a 29er steel trail hardtail. Never ridden anything but 26″ before but I’m 6’7″ so figured it’ll work. Want to be able to ride proper Peaks rocky bits at fun speeds, explore Lakes, step up to easier Welsh black trails, and if bike doesn’t feel like a total slug on bermy blue jumpy trails that’d be a bonus.

So my questions are:

1) Some folks say 29ers are a bit grippier…does this mean I can get away with less of a chunky tread out back? But then…

2) …some say 29ers roll better…so does that mean I can get away with nice proper grippy tyres without it being a total nightmare to climb/roll around between fun bits on?

I saw a pro bike with a High Roller 2 in the front (so good in wet) and Aggressor 2.3 in back (so not theoretically good in wet) and he said it worked in pretty much everything for him, and thought that sounded pretty fast and fun.

Any advice from any other hardtail riders out there on what to do, especially from larger folks riding lots of rocks on big wheels, would be much appreciated, thanks! (Got 26mm internal rims on wheels fwiw)

rickon
    Free Member

1. No.
    2. No.

Grippy tyres will be more draggy. Less grippy tyres will grip less.

Buy tyres that are suited to the type of riding and conditions you’re riding in.

molgrips
    Free Member

some say 29ers roll better…so does that mean I can get away with nice proper grippy tyres without it being a total nightmare to climb/roll around between fun bits on?

Different kind of rolling. They don’t have lower rolling resistance in terms of tyre tread and carcass and that. They do however roll *much* better over the kind of rocky trails you will be used to in the Peaks. I was amazed at the difference they make.

They they grippier. I run some pretty lightweight XC tyres in mud and I manage where I would have needed chunky mud tyres before.

You’ll also find a massive (positive) difference in riding position and handling between a bike from 26″ days and a modern one. I borrowed a mate’s 2005 Kona the other day for a ride. It was great for road climbing but on anything off road it was hilarious. Front wheel felt like it was under my chest and was about to wash out on any corner. And on anything steep, not only did the tiny wheels stop dead on any bump, but I couldn’t keep the front wheel on the ground. Bike designers have made a LOT of progress in the last 15 years IMO.

tomaso
    Free Member

Aggressors are a great tyre if all you ride is rocks. Grassy sloppy descents will give you the fear. They do roll well and grip good on Rocky trails.

Everyone is so different in how they make a judgement and what they value. My take on it is why would you not want grippy tyres?

tb927
    Free Member

Thanks for your kind replies folks, that’s great. Guess I’m just trying to figure out what’ll be the most fun.. I agree that I do want grippy tyres but wondering if I need ALL the grip, as a bit of free whizzing speed is fun too. For a while I was running a Chunky Monkey with a Crossmark at the back of the 26er which was hilarious until it wasn’t, and as I’ve just turned 40 probably a tyre choice with less of a desire to send me to A + E is probably sensible.

molgrips
    Free Member

I agree that I do want grippy tyres but wondering if I need ALL the grip, as a bit of free whizzing speed is fun too.

If you want to cover miles draggy tyres quickly become a chore, unless you have all day and no rush.

philjunior
    Free Member

Pretty much what they said, I would say both things are true, but they’re pretty minor compared to the range of tyres out there.

Still, therefore, horses for courses.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A slightly different kind of tyre question (I hope)’ is closed to new replies.