Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • A shocking indictment of the youth of today – Paper dart content
  • dissonance

I helped run a cubs/scout group for a bit, and we encouraged them all to buy a swiss army knife/gerber

One of my brothers kids had joined the scouts so my initial thoughts for their birthday was a knife. Apparently the local group would have rather disapproved of it so had to give it a miss.

For the OP. I am not sure what it says about me that “paper dart” brings to mind the more dubious combination of “paper + Plasticine + drawing pin” to give a homemade dart which inevitably ended up being used in less than safe ways.

hammerite
    Free Member

I run a club at school called “The Academy of Danger”. My head was having kittens about my letter saying that the children would be taking part in activities that could lead to them getting hurt, embarassed or that they might actually fail at. Not one parent batted an eye lid and all were perfectly happy.

We had a pilot a plane afternoon. This website was invaluable as my repertoire of two different designs were the ones the kids already knew… http://www.foldnfly.com/#/1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2

They’ve made catapults, sawed wood, had a fight (staged)… Our next few weeks all involve fire.

boxelder

I often explain the process of making simple paper aircraft (basic origami) to my kids.

“Now children” I say, “the process is two-fold….”

Oh how they laugh

Harry_the_Spider

I’m liking the sound of “The Academy of Danger”. If you get the chance, Axe Throwing is great fun.

househusband

One of the physics teachers at school got making vortex tube paper planes with kids just before Christmas so when they came down to the techie department I figured we might as well just carry on where they left off – does need straws too.

kiwijohn

I went to see Ben Folds a couple of weeks ago. For the second half, the audience was given pen & paper to write requests on, make a paper plane & throw it at the stage. He then played whatever was on the plane he picked up. Brilliant concert

pocketrocket
    Free Member

With 3 young boys there is generally a whole squadron of various paper planes dotted around the house, along with homemade bows and arrows, bits of wood with slate wedged into the ends as axes etc. I’ve also just came across a homemade catapult sitting on the kitchen window, makes me proper proud!

One of their favourite books is the copy of The Dangerous Book for Boys the missus picked up in a secondhand shop, the section on girls in there is very funny!

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘A shocking indictment of the youth of today – Paper dart content’ is closed to new replies.