Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • A sad weekend at the Dyfi Enduro.
  • AIfonzo
    Free Member

See below, problem with first post.

AIfonzo
    Free Member

Sad weekend at the Dyfi enduro feel I’m finally ready to talk about it. (***Warning sob story***) So months of training, hill reps, clean eating, “limited” drinking, hours of prepping bike, food, kit all amounted to nothing. 4 hours drive down on Saturday to pitch a tent in pouring rain and getting 0 sleep was all fine as I was so pumped to race Sunday. Come 10 am, about 3,000 calories consumed in the form of jelly babies, chocolate fingers, porridge, pasta, bananas and redbull I was pretty much vibrating. Still pissing it down I oiled my chain and made my way for the start line. Did the classic car park bounce test to check suspension was firm and bottle wasn’t going to fall out when suddenly the so called “bat bike” (Canyon Spectral 29er), the pinnacle of two wheeled engineering spits it’s dummy out and cracks clean in two on the chain stay (pics). Couldn’t believe it…. no amount of duct tape was going to fix this, nor was a simple poke back into place as my finger found out. So I looked up to the heavens said a “few” swears to whoever/whatever decided to land any karma I may have accumulated against my name (probably my lack of recycling at university) and pushed back to my tent. Wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry, did something in between the two in the end.
    Waited for my friends to return bearing the unmistakable grin only achievable by completing the Dyfi in one piece, then packed my shit up and had the most unwanted energised drive home possible (3 **** thousand calories).
    Thanks to Howies for the sympathy vouchers and a massive et tu Brutus to Canyonbikes who have made me resent the bike I once loved.

The bike was pretty much brand new having ridden less than 100 miles. Still waiting to hear back from Canyon with regards to a replacement, but for the mean time i shall continue to look like a mopey zoo lion and maybe rekindle an old relationship with the road bike while i wait for a new one.

Hope everyone else had an infinitely better bank holiday weekend than me.

Broken Canyon Spectral

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooft… nasty.

Although, I’ll see your broken canyon and raise you my Yeti! 😀

poisonspider
    Free Member

God, the suspense is killing me…

(Now if it genuinely is sad like your dog died or something, please forgive the flippancy, otherwise got on with it man!!)

AIfonzo
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay was having a nightmare with the story posting.

AlexSimon

That does suck – feel for you.
    I guess these things happen, but the timing is a killer!

dazh

So months of training, hill reps, clean eating, “limited” drinking, hours of prepping bike, food, kit all amounted to nothing.

Think that’s where you went wrong. I thought it was traditional at the Dyfi to be as out of shape and hungover as possible. Sorry to hear about the bike, at least it didn’t break halfway round and result in a very long walk in the rain.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Funnily enough, we were chatting to a guy at the Gisburn PMBA Enduro who had a very nice Canyon. He’d just got the frame back after something silly like 3 months after his original fell apart around the linkage. Said he wouldn’t buy another…

poisonspider
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation you didn’t miss much.

Hours of slogging up fire roads to then be held up by numpties walking down the good descents. Thoroughly frustrating!!

I know, I know its a mass participation event and not everyone is at the same level, but walking down the middle of the World Cup descent FFS??!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

At least it didn’t explode into pieces on a fast rocky descent and then involving a free helicopter ride..

sandwicheater

Your story has touched my like none other.

nickc

Nightmare!! 😥

I’m sure Canyon will sort it out for you though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

that’s well dark . Unlucky . However bloody finger pic was unrequired.

MrOvershoot

If its any consolation my whole BH weekend was a nightmare.
    Saturday morning get a call from the hospital to say my wife would be coming home in the next hour. She’s been in hospital for 10 days with aspiration pneumonia not good when you have MS.

After being home for an hour I’m not convinced she should be, by Sunday midday the paramedics are back and she’s on her way back to hospital. Yesterday she was very tired & confused but I did at least get her to drink more fluids.

The hospital have just phoned to say she will be coming home @ 6:30pm I only hope its not another boomerang trip & thankfully the care agency have people available tomorrow or that would be another day off work.

nikk
    Free Member

Wow, looks like no penetration on that weld at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yn3dll1q4csjmax/AAD1aN0-C8uZYKt6aUC8fBdka/2015-05-03%2017.15.59.jpg

My advice for this kind of thing where you train a lot for something, is to prepare for disappointment, and to have other things lined up that will take advantage of (for example) your fitness. IOW don’t just do one race, do a season of them.

spacehopper

oooof 🙁

that majorly sucks.

Hope canyon sort you out… and quickly!

AIfonzo
    Free Member

If its any consolation my whole BH weekend was a nightmare.
    Saturday morning get a call from the hospital to say my wife would be coming home in the next hour. She’s been in hospital for 10 days with aspiration pneumonia not good when you have MS.

After being home for an hour I’m not convinced she should be, by Sunday midday the paramedics are back and she’s on her way back to hospital. Yesterday she was very tired and confused but I did at least get her to drink more fluids.

The hospital have just phoned to say she will be coming home @ 6:30pm I only hope its not another boomerang trip and thankfully the care agency have people available tomorrow or that would be another day off work.

Well your story hangs mine out to dry. I hope your wife comes home soon and her health improves. At the end of the day materialistic things mean sweet FA, you can’t put a price on yours and your families well being. Thoughts are with you and your wife.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Agree with nikk, that weld is atrocious! Zero penetration.

dannyh
    Free Member

Nightmare, but looking at it from a glass half full perspective, at least it didn’t go bang on a fast/technical/both descent and result in you having to eat through a straw for a month……………..

mattrgee
    Free Member

I heard the Genesis Grapil welders were all hired by Canyon….

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m going with the thoughts that at least the bike didn’t break whilst you were in full Hack mode and it turfing you into a tree..

Still shite though.

😕

benpinnick

Agreed. Thats been stuck together not welded!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Gutted! Wouldn’t have happened if you’d went full ENDURO and bought carbonz (probably…maybe…**), next time don’t be so tight 😉

**actually that’s a lie, the carbonz would have shattered and pierced both of your testicles

xc-steve
    Free Member

Rubbish! As has been said rather it happen there than 30mph down a slatey downhill also no drinking and eating correct food?! Fish and Chips 5 ales followed by another portion of chips… and I wonder why I didn’t get anywhere in Elite…

daveh
    Free Member

I heard the Genesis Grapil welders were all hired by Canyon….

😆

The target market for my new chainstay destructive testing service just opened up, ace! (Sorry OP, that’s pants, been there myself twice recently, though without the entry fees).

maxtorque

I would have “fixed” it and ridden anyway…….

#scrapheapchallenge

😉

poisonspider
    Free Member

Pity you didn’t have a racket load strap to hand.

This has snapped completely at the top tube/seat tube junction.

Still going strong until a replacement bike-to-work arrives.

psycorp
    Free Member

Lolz @ Monkeyfudger

😀

Shitty timing tho OP

MrSmith
    Free Member

wow! that’s MIG like apprentice day one birdshit spatter not well prepped and welded tig artistry from somebody calling themselves a welder.

i’m not likely to ever buy an internet retailers bike but i certainly wouldn’t recommend a Canyon to anyone.
    cheap but as ever you get what you pay for.

legend
    Free Member

i’m not likely to ever buy an internet retailers bike but i certainly wouldn’t recommend a Canyon to anyone.

based on one weld as no other brand has ever experienced a quality issue?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Utter knee-jerk nonsense!

russyh
    Free Member

Ouch, sorry to read this. Gutted for you.

Took my new bikes out for a play this weekend. Bike one (my new 29er cheap inbred) got scratched by my mates pedal on the bike rack. I had loaned it out to my new to riding mate. I have not even ridden it yet. Bike two my Banshee Spitfire.. Second ride out I have dented the bottom bracket shall with a rock. Great ride, but in the warm glow of my laptop with bank holiday blues. I am feeling a little sore about it now. I would be gutted if i had of trained travelled and then that happened. Keep your chin up fella

tomd
    Free Member

Take a spare bike next time?

rooster42
    Free Member

Bad luck Alex, at least you missed all the mud and grit! There’s always next time, but not for me, I’ll be sticking to my local gravity Enduro instead!

See you again in the Lakes maybe when you get the replacement 🙂

Tom

MrSmith
    Free Member

actually based on waiting times and customer service from friends experiences and what i have read on here.
    not a huge sample but it helps in weeding out brands when making a choice or advising on one.

Big-M
    Free Member

You’ve been conned, that’s not a Canyon, it’s a Genisis Grapil…

legend
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

actually based on waiting times and customer service from friends experiences and what i have read on here.
    not a huge sample but it helps in weeding out brands when making a choice or advising on one.

Well if it helps you with your sample size, I ordered a Canyon and had it 5 days later. Customer service was good too.

HTH

AIfonzo
    Free Member

Not sure where your getting the cheap bit from? I would expect to get quite a lot from a 3K bike.
    I’m yet to deal with their customer service but I shall be sure to let you know how good they are once they get in touch.

poisonspider
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

How big is your sample size exactly?

And ‘what you read on here’…do me a favour??!!

I’m not convinced that what you read on here is always entirely accurate. In fact you are perpetuating the nonsense as someone else could be citing your post as somehow representative.

I’ve got a YT and so far I’ve been blown away by the quality of the bike and the customer service has been fine. I know they originally had issues with rear drop outs cracking on the 1×11 versions but once a fix was identified something was sent out to all owners immediately. Don’t get great value confused with ‘cheap’, these bikes certainly aren’t ‘cheap’.

I’ve had ‘regular’ brands before and had warranty issues, with some good and bad experiences. Stuff happens.

daveh
    Free Member

On closer inspection that weld is worse than a Grapil weld!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘A sad weekend at the Dyfi Enduro.’ is closed to new replies.