• This topic has 54 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • A sad day!
  • boxelder

2.9 mill scrap

😯

shermer75
    Free Member

This is so weird- I remember the exact sane thing happening when I was a young kid- so 30 odd years ago. Aircraft carrier, called Ark Royal, decommissioned and sold for scrap, everyone very sad about it. I even had commemorative picture on my bedroom wall. History repeating, eh?

tyger
    Free Member

10 years before a replacement – not good 🙁

JCL
    Free Member

Pointless old crap.

zokes
    Free Member

Pointless old crap.

Care to elaborate?

Trimix
    Free Member

Why is that sad. Isnt it a big machine designed to kill people ?

grum
    Free Member

The idea of someone getting emotional over the scrapping of an aircraft carrier is really quite bizarre. Still, I don’t generally understand the spaffing over war machinery that you get on here (and elsewhere). I suppose I assumed most people would have grown out of it by now.

zokes
    Free Member

The idea of someone getting emotional over the scrapping of an aircraft carrier is really quite bizarre. Still, I don’t generally understand the spaffing over war machinery that you get on here (and elsewhere). I suppose I assumed most people would have grown out of it by now.

Indeed, it’s almost as common as people going off on their high horses

mikey3
    Free Member

do they come in any other colours.

tyger
    Free Member

Trimix – a presence and protection!

Trimix
    Free Member

We dont have an empire anymore.

tyger
    Free Member

Trimix – correct but not sure how that relates to this topic?

grum
    Free Member

Indeed, it’s almost as common as people going off on their high horses

Sorry I don’t share others’ hard-on for military equipment. 😆

Not sure how that’s getting on a high horse. Seems like you’re getting offended on other peoples’ behalf again.

binners

I woke up on the Ark Royal once. That’s not a euphamism. That was after a very, very heavy night out In Liverpool! 😀

grum
    Free Member

Doesn’t need to be a euphemism when you’re admitting to having pulled a sailor.

zokes
    Free Member

Seems like you’re getting offended on other peoples’ behalf again.

Nope, just passing an observation. Seems to have ruffled your feathers though.

Not sure how that’s getting on a high horse.

Pretty much all of what you wrote appeared to be intended to portray that you feel that you’re better than those who do have an interest in engineering. The bit in bold particularly so.

HTH

grum
    Free Member

‘People who have an interest in engineering’ 😆

Strangely many of those with an ‘interest in engineering’ seem particularly excited about anything involving war. And the bit about growing out of it – it’s a pretty common thing for kids to be into fighter planes etc – seems odd to me for lots of adults to still have the same obsession. I don’t think I’m better than them – I just find it weird.

Being a bit over-sensitive aren’t we? How ironic.

klumpy
    Free Member

We dont have an empire anymore.

Most people feel it’s appropriate for an island nation to maintain at least a modest navy. And our aircraft carriers weren’t even considered to BE aircraft carriers by the yanks, so it was modest.

We have sold our harriers to the US marines for spares rendering our present carriers useless, our new carriers won’t be around for 10 yrs and we’re buying the wrong (and very expensive) planes to put on them – if they ever work. So yes, it’s all a bit of a downer.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I woke up on the Ark Royal once. That’s not a euphamism. That was after a very, very heavy night out In Liverpool!

HELLO SAILOR!

zokes
    Free Member

I don’t think I’m better than them – I just find it weird.

Sorry, the implication that you were a mature adult whereas others are just mere kids does sort of fit the dictionary definition of ‘high horse’.

Being a bit over-sensitive aren’t we?

Not at all, as I said, just an observation. A second observation being that having your superiority complex called seems to ruffle your feathers. If the cap fits, ‘n’all.

It’s a perfectly adult thing to note skill involved in the design and engineering of military hardware, whilst loathing its intended purpose. Adults can usually separate their emotions e.g. the Vulcan – amazing engineering, absolutely abhorrent reason for its inception.

tyger
    Free Member

In Portsmouth there is HMS Victory and HMS Warrior – I’m guessing that some of you feel it’s a waste to keep them?

zokes
    Free Member

In Portsmouth there is HMS Victory and HMS Warrior – I’m guessing that some of you feel it’s a waste to keep them?

Oh absolutely – they were just crude killing machines 🙄

shermer75
    Free Member

The first Ark Royal, launched 1587, was the flagship of the English fleet during the campaign against the Spanish Armada

grum
    Free Member

Sorry, the implication that you were a mature adult whereas others are just mere kids does sort of fit the dictionary definition of ‘high horse’.

If you say so. I’d call it ‘having a different opinion to you’. You seem very over sensitive about it though.

Dunno, for some reason I don’t have an encyclopaedic knowledge of our current military hardware.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Grum, you’re not alone. I don’t get it either but each to their own. It’s good that people are passionate about something.

It does seem that people are generally interested in the machinery of war because it is bigger or quicker or in some other way perceived to be more awesome than the civilian equivalents. I think for most it’s not a celebration of conflict.

tyger
    Free Member

Grum – no interest in our history either then?

grum
    Free Member

Yeah I have a degree in history.

It does seem that people are generally interested in the machinery of war because it is bigger or quicker or in some other way perceived to be more awesome than the civilian equivalents. I think for most it’s not a celebration of conflict.

That sort of makes sense. Though the fact that our biggest engineering projects are usually military is in itself a lot sadder than the retiring of an aircraft carrier IMO.

tyger
    Free Member

Grum – a degree in History and you don’t know about HMS Victory? I’m very surprised!

grum
    Free Member

Oh, that HMS Victory. 😳

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m always amazed at how good this sounds:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d8C4AIFgUg&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

Oh and grum, hate to burst your bubble but you’re not the first to realize that war = bad!! Peace brother 😉

grum
    Free Member

Whaaaaaaaaat!?

grum
    Free Member

🙂

zokes
    Free Member

I’d call it ‘having a different opinion to you’.

Nope, that would just have been “war materiel doesn’t interest me“, as opposed to “war materiel doesn’t interest me, and anyone who is interested in it needs to grow up“, which, paraphrasing, is how you came across. One is a difference of opinion, one is passing judgement [from a high horse].

Though the fact that our biggest engineering projects are usually military is in itself a lot sadder than the retiring of an aircraft carrier IMO.

Not always – Concorde being a notable exception. And all the more more awesome given that when the SR-71 Blackbird spy-plane (and the MiG25 designed to shoot it down) were retired, it was the fastest plane in the sky. And its passengers and crew could drink champagne in comfort, not have to wear flying suits and oxygen masks.

grum
    Free Member

Have a look at shermer75’s post for an example of how to disagree with me without getting on your own high horse. 😉

Mintman
    Free Member

I spent 2 years in Ark Royal as one of the engineers and had some of my greatest memories in that ship.

The engineering that went into a self sustaining ship of that size was excellent. Where else do you get to operate a system that is designed to land a variety of fixed and rotary wing planes laden with fuel and weapons on top of a fairly small platform moving at upto 30mph packed full of thousands of tonnes of fuel and weapons, frontline repair facilities all powered by 4 Olympus Gas Turbine engines driving through a pair of huge gearboxes designed by David Brown (of Aston Martin DB fame). Not forgetting the control and stabilisation systems and basic hotel services (accom, freezers, galleys and accom, vent, fresh water…) that make it as comfortable a place to work and relax as you can expect.

Its a shame to see her go but at the end of the day the memories and friends remain and thats the important bit (ime).

zokes
    Free Member

Have a look at shermer75’s post for an example of how to disagree with me without getting on your own high horse.

Ah, Edinburgh defence, Lancaster variant.

grum
    Free Member

How do you work that out? 😕

He made the point without sounding pompous and over sensitive. Something you might take heed of.

zokes
    Free Member

He made a point without sounding pompous and over sensitive.

Something you appear to be struggling to achieve.

grum
    Free Member

‘I know you are you said you are but what does that make me’ – is that really the level you are stooping to? 😆

Come on then, explain how it’s an ‘Edinburgh defence’ to point out that shermer75 made a similar point to you in a much less pompous, over sensitive, high horsey way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘A sad day!’ is closed to new replies.