Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • A ride report (Warning: road/tourer/long/photo content)
  • Tiger6791

Good cake / miles ratio

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Druidh, great little diary. Not something I would dream of doing as I am definitely not into touring, but you make it sound almost tempting. Also found it quite moving with the bit about your father at the beginning and the in memoriam at the end

geoffj

Druidh – very nice and very jealous. Mrs J wants to do something similar using the A6 north of Manchester. I'm not sure it would be as pleasant an experience as your trip though.

myheadsashed

:mrgreen:

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks for posting that, I'd driven some some bits previously, and noticed the changes year by year, and I've ridden some bits since. It's stirred a longing to return.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Excellent! Cheers for posting.

stanfree
    Free Member

Well done Druidh thats some adventure and a fitting road trip to remember your dad by.
    How long did It take you to cycle back . 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I have friends in Inverness and they were coming to visit us, so I got a lift back the following afternoon.

Thanks for all the nice responses. I have another wee ride report to complete and that's given me the impetus to do so.

Pauly

Cheers for sharing it mate. Enjoyed the read.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

fantastic

pault41
    Free Member

Excellent write up, camped on site BLAIR ATHOL way some time around 2002 ,great site, good time considering it was wet!.
    A9 a fantastic route indeed, inspiring to say the least.

cinnamon_girl

OK, could I ask for a brief summary of touring bikes please? Steel or Ti? Flat bar or drops? Really skinny tyres?

Thank you. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Ti, steel, or aluminium, although many reckon the latter is too stiff and brittle.

Drops give the most options in terms of hand positions and allow a bit of aerodynamic advantage.

Saddle/bar height will be less of a drop than a racer.

Tyres are typically 28-32mm. Not as skinny as full-on race rubber and allows a bit of comfort over rougher terrain.

Despite what anyone tells you, opt for a triple chainset.

Rack and mudguard mounts are a given.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for that druid. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Thanks for that druidh.

T.FIFY.

senorj

Enjoyed that.
    Thanks.
    My Dad took me camping at Grange- bottom of Castle Crag.
    Everytime I do the Borrowdale Bash I have a laal moment.

13thfloormonk

Great reading Druidh, hadn't realised how much of that road was off to one side in the bushes! Have always noticed that Daviot bridge, looks veyr strange when you pass it.

I joined some of your route by riding out of Inverness, over the hill with the wind farm and joining the A9 at Slochd summit, great wee hill road with grass growing in the middle, made racing line a bit interesting!

hwgminx
    Free Member

Great adventure and a fitting tribute Druidh. Would be very interested to see your additional photos of the old A9.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘A ride report (Warning: road/tourer/long/photo content)’ is closed to new replies.