Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A ride on Dartmoor advice needed
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Looking to do one ride down there this summer so would love some tips or a gps route
    needs to be

about 20 miles
    good views
    no pushing(impossible rocky uphill)
    singletrack a bonus

would this one be any good?
    http://connect.garmin.com/course/137777

hugor
    Free Member

There was an STW forum ride there a few months ago that got great reviews. I missed it.
    They posted the gpx as well.
    You might be able to find it by searching.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Hi SOAP

First up that route is pants & too much road work – sorry – but there are much better ones than that if you know where you are going.

IMHO (no doubt someone will be along soon to disagree) there are really 2 sides to Dartmoor.

W.Dartmoor Princetown/Burrator – nice & scenic not too techy but a great place to ride.

E.Dartmoor Lustleigh/Hound Tor – nice & scenic but more techy steep riding again a great place to ride.

When are you thinking of coming down? I’m sure that you could get a local guide for the day if you post up on here.

In the mean time I’ll email you a couple routes for you to look at.

jam-bo

What crispy said. Believer rock garden is fun but it’s 100yds long in a 20 mile ride

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Thanks Crispy will probably ride the Princetown loops unless we can get a guide nearer the date 🙂

trailmonkey

there is a pretty decent technical figure of 8 loop to be had in that area including a newly found version of the rock garden trail that is certainly a lot longer than 100yds, in fact I’d say that’s about it’s vertical extent – which should give a clue as to where that trail starts.

there is some pushing to be had on this route but in fairness, most of the really good riding on dartmoor that i know of generally does.

if i was going to ride out of princetown, i doubt that i’d be heading east.

carlphillips
    Free Member

issue 49 of st had some of TM’s routes in it iirc. that would be a good start, but post up nearer the time and someone will be about.

trailmonkey

These pics were taken in the general vicinity of the linked route but not on any of the trails therein.

045 by Shinythings2, on Flickr

004 by Shinythings2, on Flickr

041 by Shinythings2, on Flickr

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Looks good but I’ll be with the misses and barren landscape and pushing uphill won’t go down well. As I found out on the Black mountains, with one wrong turn and a lot of BLIND fingers crossed pushing!
    Like I said the trail needs to be foolproof unless we get a guide 🙂

jam-bo

Do the Princetown – burrator loop then but start at burrator. It’s a long grind back up to Princetown that is better to get out the way first.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Some pics from a recent ride on Dartmoor with pics.

Given the revised brief I think Princetown/Burrator will keep the marital peace & harmony. The leg going back to Princtown is via the dis-used railway line so no pushing involved 🙂

Edit: Actually Jam Bo is right start @ Burrator & go up to Princetown first and have the downhill as a finish – jobs a good ‘un.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A ride on Dartmoor advice needed’ is closed to new replies.