• This topic has 71 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • A revolution in my bathroom – proper manly shaving content
  • marko75
    Free Member

I recently bought a DE razor – can you take those blades on an aircraft?

theotherjonv

As far as I can work out, no. Either pack them for check in, buy blades at your destination, or use a disposable if it’s an overnight / hand luggage only.

theotherjonv

And – further to all the above….. What a pleasure a proper shave is.

Being wary of potential carnage since I started with my DE razor of course I’ve been taking my time more than with a disposable, with a coffee in the other hand and one eye on the clock and shouting at the kids to brush their teeth and……

But last night, I sat in the bath after riding and gardening all day with a hot flannel over my face for ages. Then had a proper, no rush shave with a new blade, a brush for the shaving cream, and time for 3 full applications of cream and razor with the grain, across the grain, and then again to really do the chin properly. And then some moisturizer to fight off the effects ofbeing out in the cold wind and sun all day. Wonderful, my face was so smooth I wanted to nuzzle up to it!!

I can see why ladies spend a fortune on getting facials – I think I’m in danger of becoming one of those new men metrosexuals. Does using a proper razor counterbalance the moisturiser, or is all hope gone?

Next step will be trying out different shaving soaps and moisturisers!

Drac

I can see why ladies spend a fortune on getting facials

😯

theotherjonv

😉

Spotted

bigblackshed

Moisturiser?

I think I’m in danger of becoming one of those new men metrosexuals. Does using a proper razor counterbalance the moisturiser, or is all hope gone?

Quite probably, yes.

Since I started DE shaving I’ve been using after shave “tonic”, Issey Miyake FWIW, and have found my skin to be softer, with far less blemishes and patchy skin. More down to the closeness of the shave, cutting the hairs rather than mashing the stubble into submission.

I had to use a multi blade thing whilst away with work, it was just horrible. I was red raw afterwards. Just what you’re used to I think.

sv

I got my de blade through security last time, if they find it then happy to ditch it (just kept it wrapped and separate from the razor). Also took a plastic multi blade just in case…

jonwe
    Free Member

Has anyone here had any success/disaster doing a full head shave with a proper razor? I’m a professional with a disposable but now you’ve got me thinking…..

Freester

Has anyone here had any success/disaster doing a full head shave with a proper razor? I’m a professional with a disposable but now you’ve got me thinking…..

Not personally but a colleague who I introduced to DE shaving uses it for full head shave.

stox
    Free Member

Well I’ve taken the plunge … Will give it a go at the weekend

nicko74

Just tried mine for the first time yesterday, having not had a proper shave in more than 10 years. Lovely soft skin afterwards, but realise I need a proper after-shave moisturiser.

DezB
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried taking their time, using a hot flannel, doing 3 creams and shaving in all directions with a normal disposable razor? Because it seems a little one-sided otherwise!

<always use normal razors but regularly get ripped to shreds unless it’s a 5 bladed behemoth on it’s first outing and I’ve spent 10 minutes in the hot shower first.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I wash with a face scrub first, really gets the stubble ready, it’s the only way I don’t cut myself to bits whatever the razor.

AdamW
    Free Member

Is jealous.

Am scared s’less of blades but would like to try DE shaving. I’d end up with half my face in the sink. (Which may be an improvement!) Just thinking about the shape of a razor blade gives me shivers.

I am, however, doing scientific research into cheapo Aldi 3-blade razors to see if they are decent for such a good price!

pedlad

After a bit of a learning curve I can confirm that it is better than any shave, whatever the prep that you will get out of a Mach 70000 or whatever they are up to. On the other hand I do still stupidly cut myself, usually fingers . Note do not leave de razor next to cold water tap in hotel at works christmas do…….3am rehydration may lead to severe blood loss and wife fainting.

mtbtom
    Free Member

On the basis of this thread, I bought a Merkur 34C, EJ brush, Prorazo soap and a selection of sample blades (Astra, Derby, Shark and Dorco) from Amazon.

What a revelation! With the original Merkur blade, the shave was fantastic. Just done one with a Derby blade and it’s even better. Face has never felt so soft.

Still learning, especially where I can and can’t shave against the grain. No serious nicks yet, it’s surprisingly easy if you’re careful.

I actually look forward to shaving now! To Adam who was worried about the blades – give it a go!

bigblackshed

What I have found with shaving against the grain is that I find it difficult in keeping the angle of the razor consistent.

When I do get it right then I get a very close shave. But then I suffer on the next shave if its too soon afterwards. Because its so close the hairs then seem to create a bump or pimple before breaking through. If I shave before the hairs have grown through then all I do is nick the tops off the bumps.

I did see a video online somewhere showing a 3 or 4 pass shave. 1st straight down, 2nd & 3rd are at opposite 45deg, and then the 4th against the grain. I’ve never needed more than 3 passes.

Muke
    Free Member

Thinking I need to join the brotherhood of proper shavers and the internet reckons as a beginner I need something like a Merkur 24C or 34C and Feather blades, so where is the best place to purchase said kit ?

Tips and advice welcome as I’m still a little bit worried that DezB has summed up my concerns quite well with that photo.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Whoever suggested feather blades for a beginner is a sadist.
    They are ultra sharp and really for experienced de shavers.
    I would recommend astra stainless or platinum, plenty sharp enough,inexpensive and won’t leave you looking like the guy in the photo above.

bigblackshed

Try Conaught Shaving HERE.

I would hold off on the Feathers to start with. They are VERY sharp. Try a mixed pack of blades and see what you get on with. It’s very personal.

Don’t forget prep, prep & some more prep. Plenty of guides on the net.

everyone
    Free Member

Excuse the dire picture but I’m looking forward to getting this properly shave ready.

I’ve been using a shavette for a while now but I want to make the jump to this.

kwack
    Free Member

Traditional shaving company or executive shaving company are both great retailers

samuri
    Free Member

Apply oil or moisturiser, foam up, shave with normal BIC type razor, remember to go against the grain on the finishing strokes, re-moisterise.

That’s pretty damn close and very cheap. Beat that.

kerbdog
    Free Member

If you are still using that gel or foam in a can stop now, and go buy a decent shaving brush and soap. A good quality synthetic will set you back about £50 but will last for a few years, shaving soaps from Taylors of Bond street or Crabtree and Evelyn are pretty good.. heck Arko shaving soap is better than the crap you get in those cans.
    I’d avoid Derby blades as they aren’t great quality especially if you have heavy growth.
    Tip of the day though, Shave first thing in the morning before you have breakfast, once your digestive system kicks in your skin becomes more sensitive.

squirrelking
    Free Member

+1 on the Platinums, best blades I ever had for my Merkur (no idea which, it’s the short handled one).

DO NOT waste money on the unbranded blades in Boots!

Wilkinson Sword Diamond blades are okay but nothing on the Platinums. That said they will still hack out 2 weeks growth no bother, like to see a Mach5 or electric do that without becoming an epilator.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Bought the cheap Wilkinson Sword razor, brush and soap a few years ago as an experiment. Thought I would upgrade if I got on with it and thought it would save money in the long run.
    Not sure exactly how long, but about 6 years ago now. Still got the cheap razor and brush. Still with the cheap soap, got another sample pack of razors a couple of months ago. Still a dirt cheap easy to shave (for me) and still the second best shave I have ever had. The best being in a barber shop.

Muke
    Free Member

Will leave off the feathers till I know what I’m doing then. 🙂

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Another DE shaving convert here…for maybe 5 or 6 years. I don’t think anything could persuade me to go back to Mach 3 etc.

Having a wee think I’ve dabbled with the following:

Merkur 34c, 37c slant, future, vision
    Gillette 1944 vintage
    Muhle R89
    Parker 29L
    and just about every blade / soap on the market. Feathers & proraso white being my go to blades / soap.

However…..the revolution in my bathroom is without doubt SE shaving!

I took the plunge 3 months ago and bought a SH Cobra Classic. Oh my! It’s a small fortune and the blades are dearer too but I get an easy 7 days out of each blade. IME it’s soooo much better than DE shaving. Much much closer, a way smoother shave with (to date) not one nick and ZERO irritation. I’ve been using after shave balm for years but with this beauty I just rinse with cold water and that’s it.

I have found my nirvana!

chewkw
    Free Member

everyone – Member

Excuse the dire picture but I’m looking forward to getting this properly shave ready.

I’ve been using a shavette for a while now but I want to make the jump to this.

That’s a nice looking traditional Japanese blade. :mrgreen:

squirrelking
    Free Member

cheap Wilkinson Sword razor

Aka, “The Lawnmower” 😯

Sui
    Free Member

A little thread revival… I took the plunge after having many years of the misus bemoaning me about the stubble and my insistence that I have delicate baby face – I’ve gone DE…

So far so good, much less irritation and I like the swanky Edwin Jagger Limes and Pomegranate Gel and after shave..

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘A revolution in my bathroom – proper manly shaving content’ is closed to new replies.