A rather disturbing video – nuclear weapon detonation content.

Home Forum Chat Forum A rather disturbing video – nuclear weapon detonation content.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • A rather disturbing video – nuclear weapon detonation content.
  • ernie_lynch

Pretty colours and very musical these nuclear explosions.

jon1973

It’s War Games

Premier Icon althepal
    Subscriber

Didn’t realise the uk spent so much effort trying to blow up Australia!

iBaa

And we wonder why there’s global warming!!

Premier Icon luffy105
    Subscriber

Until that I wouldn’t have thought there had been more than a handful of planned nuclear explosions. Less than 40 would have been my guess. I’m quite shocked at that.

glupton1976

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

pingu66

Suprised 😯

Makes me think if they would have wiped out everything if that many were deployed in a war?

Has it raised background radiation levels?

Unbelievable really.

bencooper

Has it raised background radiation levels?

Yes – all steel is now contaminated with trace amounts, so pre-WWII sources of steel are very important for some uses, scientific instruments and the like. All those scuttled ships at Scapa Flow came in handy for that reason.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Bloody hell. Either they work or they don’t? Something in the scientific method missing if they need to perform this many tests?

Shits and giggles aside of course…

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

reminded me of this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PYI6TzqYk[/video]

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

pingu:
    yes
    yes and
    yes – eg:

“The Tsar Bomba mushroom cloud seen from a distance of 160 km (99 miles). The crown of the cloud is 56 km (35 miles) high at the time of the picture. Notice the curvature of the Earth.”

“The Tsar Bomba was a three-stage Teller–Ulam design hydrogen bomb with a yield of 50 to 58 megatons of TNT (210 to 240 PJ).[5] This is equivalent to about 1,350–1,570 times the combined power of the bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki,[6] 10 times the combined power of all the conventional explosives used in World War II, or one quarter of the estimated yield of the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa, and 10% of the combined yield of all nuclear tests to date.”

-Wikipedia

peajay

Knew an old chap who witnessed over 20 nukes on Christmas Island, Operation Dominic 1, he said the atom bombs were quite pretty but the H bombs had men running down the beach in terror the heat was tremendous, he had radiation burns on his arms and many other associated complaints. Didn’t have a good word to say about the MOD, he tried for years for compensation but got shafted by the MOD. He helped write a book called Megaton Mornings, sadly he passed away last year, interesting fella for a chat!

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

If you like this sort of thing [or just a good tactical game], you may enjoy Defcon

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGHC_aInRPE[/video]

ernie_lynch

Something in the scientific method missing if they need to perform this many tests?

I think it’s probably more a case that countries don’t like to share research and development of nuclear weapons with other countries, so the same nuclear tests were repeatedly replicated by different countries.

I believe that France had some difficulties fully perfecting the trigger mechanism for their nuclear devices, which led them to have an extensive number of tests on their pacific atolls. Something which they were internationally highly criticised for, including by the US, although they were unwilling to provide any assistance with nuclear technology to France.

If you are going to deploy nuclear weapons then it’s probably important that they work exactly as they are suppose to and that you know what to expect.

athgray

A lot of it is nuclear willy waving. I thought it interesting that the number of tests ramps up massively for a time in 1962 in the run up to the Cuban missile crisis.
    Funny that America has spent the second half of the 20th century showing Russia who is boss, by bombing the s**t out of New Mexico.

There’s probably more comprehensive and informative sites on the subject, this is just the first one I found

http://www.sindark.com/blogger/2006/02/nuclear-test-sites.html

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

I remember reading a writeup (online IIRC) from someone who rode his mountain bike at the Trinity site. This page says that it is open to the public 2x per year.

Added to the bucket list!

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Good job there’s no long term impact from this sort of thing!

Dobbo

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s59QwFULd0E&list=FLLBTmrRa0QapEUrYFZbAWFg&index=45[/video]

A rather good video – nuclear weapon detonation content.

A good excuse to play a bit of BJM. 8)

wobbliscott

Well the telling thing is that none of them happened in London, Washington, New York, LA, Moscow, ST Petersburg. Guns are far more deadly. The humble AK47 is the daddy of all weapons of mass destruction.

My fear is that the nuclear arms race is only just beginning. The cold war was a highly tense time but ultimately was stuck in a nuclear arsenal stalemate with both sides sensible enough to realise the consequences of using Nukes and the folly of a nuclear war. I’m not so sure some of the despots in the Middle East will be able to show the same level of restraint and strategic brinksmanship.

ernie_lynch

I’m not so sure some of the despots in the Middle East will be able to show the same level of restraint and strategic brinksmanship.

Yup, Israel’s nuclear weapons doctrine makes it acceptable for them to be used in a conventional war, without the threat of a nuclear attack.

It is normal for countries with nuclear weapons to proudly boast of their existence so that they act as a deterrent against attack, in fact they all do so except for Israel, which denies it has any and will severely punish any of its citizens who inform the world of the truth.

Israeli nuclear weapons were not developed to act as deterrents, they were developed as weapons of war.

Dibbs

I’m not so sure some of the despots in the Middle East will be able to show the same level of restraint and strategic brinksmanship.

True, if they don’t think twice about using chemical weapons on their fellow countrymen, I’m sure they’d use nukes if they had them.

ernie_lynch

I’m not sure how using chemical weapons on foreigners makes them less likely to use nuclear weapons.

shermer75

Some big and bold stuff there ernie_lynch, where are you getting your facts from? Would love to read up more about it…

ernie_lynch

You haven’t heard of Israel’s nuclear weapons or Mordechai Vanunu ? You need to follow the news more closely.

I think I’ll just leave this link here – worth a visit to the rest of the website if you like the technical details of nuclear weapons.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘A rather disturbing video – nuclear weapon detonation content.’ is closed to new replies.