Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • A quick tubeless set up question
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

I’ve set up a set of specialized 2bliss captains to a sun ringle rim which seems to be based on stands no tubes technology

The valve and the tape are already fitted.

Both tyres can be pumped up to 40psi and hold pressure, but lose it overnight as I expected as I haven’t yet added any fluid,

Whilst the tyres do inflate the bead doesn’t seem to seal properly, I can see the rim tape on both sides when the tyre is flat. Though it looks fine when pumped up I haven’t heard the bead ‘pop’ into place

Should I just add the fluid, pump the tyre up mix it round and ride, or do I need to make sure the bead is sealed better before inflating and adding the fluid?

Thanks

spooky_b329

As long as the tyre is up against the rim when inflated its probably sealed, unless they’ve been blown up a while the bead won’t always hold when you let the air out.

Sometimes I need to go to 60psi to get my tyres to ping on Stans rims. Full length of track pump hose used, and wheel around the corner is my preferred method 🙂

davewalsh
    Free Member

The beads don’t always ping into place depending on how good a fit the tyre is on the rim. There should be a line in the carcass of the tyre about 1/8″ from the rim when inflated, if the distance between the rim & line is the same all the way round on both sides of the tyre you’re good to go.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If its a sun ringle inferno i couldnt get them to inflate tubeless. Bought new wheels 😀

ssboggy

Have you tried some washing up liquid with a bit of water around the rim / bead, then pump them up? It usually helps the tyre bead snap into place

DanW
    Free Member

As others have said, I wouldn’t worry if the bead pops out again upon deflation. I’ve had a few tyres like this (Bontrager in particular) but they are fine in use. The only important thing is that everything is properly seated when pumped up.

Using an inner tube to seat the tyres initially is really helpful, as it removing the valve core to get the air in quicker.

Make sure the bead will seat (when pumped up) before adding any Stans fluid. If you can’t get the bead to seat with an inner tube in then you have some other problem to sort before reaching for the Stans fluid. If it seats when pumped up but just pops off on deflation then don’t worry and go ahead with adding the fluid.

Clobber
    Free Member

little bit of dilute fairy liquid on the beads help the tyre pop on if you are worried

cyclistm
    Free Member

Thanks everyone,

I’ll crack on with the fluid

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘A quick tubeless set up question’ is closed to new replies.