Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • A question regarding the current viral petition…
  • epicyclo

poah

where is the actual point of this. May is not going to get her deal through so with the extension only 3 weeks away what are the signatories expecting to happen?

Making the point that there’s more out there than noisy right-wing racists waving Union Jacks.

Also it tells the EU that the UK isn’t totally hopeless.

jimdubleyou

The point?

Just doing anything to let whoever will listen know that I’m not ok with the absolute **** omnishambles that is going on with Brexit at the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And up to 3.5 million, been doing about 100k/hr during the working day as I’ve watched it, couple that with Saturday’s March and it’s hard to ignore and very obvious if you dismiss it as insignificant.

In some ways the main part is achieved, MP’s are being asked about it, they can see where the stronger opinions are

poah
    Free Member

Making the point that there’s more out there than noisy right-wing racists waving Union Jacks

not everybody that wants to leave the EU falls into that category

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not everybody that wants to leave the EU falls into that category

No but they do all seem to fall into the leave category and they have made a lot of noise recently, they have hogged the headlines from the comfy pretence of the ERG etc.

maxtorque

This petition on it’s own is not going to do anything.

But….

Assuming we get to a point where Parliament DOES feel it has to step in to “take back control” from the Government, then those MPs are going to be looking closely at what their constituencies support, because that’s what will keep them in their seats. And at that point, this petition could have a very strong effect indeed. ie it’s hard to claim “my voters want us to leave” when there is a petition signed by a significant number of your voters that actually supports the opposing view.

mattyfez

Parliament never lost control, it’s May that has lost control, over and over again.

Parliament is actually doing it’s job, it’s the leavers who keep banging the independence drum and the sovereignty drum. Oh the irony.

The current situation is quite an interesting test of this.

It seems parliament is sovereign. For now.

kcr
    Free Member

For me, the point of the petition is that it demonstrates a significant number of people actually favour simply aborting the whole process. That’s an option that almost no politician is prepared to talk about at the moment, even if they are Remainers. At best you’ll hear the moderates talking about soft Brexit, Norway, economic union, etc. At least this is airing the subject.
    You have to multiply up the numbers who have actually clicked to get the true numbers who would agree, so it’s not insignificant.
    However, like I said before, I’m not sure it will swing individual MPs. Look at the voting map and it doesn’t suggest that Leave voting areas have changed their mind much.

matt_outandabout

Has anyone else not had the confirm email?

ElShalimo

Just over 4 million signatures now

mickmcd
    Free Member

Just over 4 million signatures now

You can see how those in the corridors of power might just see this as an indication of how many pissed off folks there are.

If that had cracked 20 million in days then sure would have been a damming indictment of UK government t Action’s

As it stands 4 million folks I would probably guess is an acceptable number for them to not give a shit about.

athgray
    Free Member

Has anyone else not had the confirm email?

Check your spam folder Matt. That is where I found it.

bigrich

i signed from australia

johnx2
    Free Member

Also whilst it’s only a petition, it’s not a bad request. Withdrawing A50 is the one thing that Parliament can do without EU agreement. It’s the emergency stop button. Now would be a great time to press it.

Speeder

As it stands 4 million folks I would probably guess is an acceptable number for them to not give a shit about.

How many would they gasa. How many other petitions have gained so many votes in so little time. How many have reached that sort of figure period? 48% of the voting public said remain, the 52% were made up of many differing factions all of whom were promised very different outcomes. When are they going to realise this petition is THE FIRST TIME in 3 years it feels like there’s the potential to do something to put the brakes on this ****ing juggernaught that very few people with any sense want.

We are by and large the reasonable types not taken to unruly protests or threatening violence and up till now the rhetoric has been dominated by out is out and the like and recent events have seen the first opportunity for us to make ourselves heard.

It would be a massive miscarriage of democracy if the ERG and UKIP managed to get their way.

richardkennerley

Apparently the woman who started the petition has received death threats 😰

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hopefully some people are getting a day in court to talk about the death threats.

CountZero

Apparently the woman who started the petition has received death threats

Pretty empty ones, if this was Merika, she should be worried, but I’m sure those responsible are known, and are highly unlikely to have access to automatic weapons.

richardkennerley

Apparently the woman who started the petition has received death threats

Pretty empty ones, if this was Merika, she should be worried, but I’m sure those responsible are known, and are highly unlikely to have access to automatic weapons.

Empty or not, it’s pretty f****ng pathetic

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That is fairly callous given what has happened in the UK recently, it’s not something that people should be flippant about these days.

scotroutes

5 Million

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So up to 5.1 Million now, it’s still climbing even at 100k/hr during the day it’s pushing on well, it was interesting that my parents actually sent it over having just signed it – they are fully against brexit but can be swayed by the mail on many issues.

This seems to be reaching bits of the country that hasn’t engaged like this before, the more it signs the more you feel like it’s worth signing perhaps?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://splasho.com/petitions/index.php?petition=241584
    And as if by magic this pops up on my twitter feed 🙂
    Climbing strongly still

slowoldman

Ooh that’s good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘A question regarding the current viral petition…’ is closed to new replies.