Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • A question regarding the current viral petition…
  • PrinceJohn

Looking at this page –

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584.json

on the petition website, it shows where the signatures have come from. There are an awful lot from outside the UK.

Is this due to interference? Or is it something else?

tjagain

could be VPNs folk working abroad etc. You have to put in your postcode to have your vote counted

nick1962
    Free Member

Lots of stuff online about bogus votes,70,000 or on the Trump visit one.

Greybeard
    Free Member

About 37k from outside the UK (so far), which is about 4%. Mostly from countries where you’d expect a number of UK expats, like US, Spain, Sweden, etc.

You have to tick a box to say you’re a UK citizen, but you don’t have to be resident in UK.

tomhoward

I thought all the outside interferers wanted Brexit?

Fetchezlavache
    Free Member

tomhoward – I know quite a few ex-pats who are crapping themselves over brexit – don’t know any *for* it.
    Russians of course are a different kettle of Solyanka..

Fetchezlavache
    Free Member

…meant to add VPN’s as has been mentioned. I’ll no doubt be listed as not voting from the UK even though I most certainly am.

IHN

What, with that name? Yeah, course you are, Johnny Foreigner

P-Jay
    Free Member

tomhoward – I know quite a few ex-pats who are crapping themselves over brexit – don’t know any *for* it.

Sky, the BBC and C4 have found plenty.

Mostly living in Spain, no plans to return to the UK but want us out because of immigration, mostly if pushed immigration from non-EU countries.

Irony so thick you could stir it with a stick.

Edukator
    Free Member

Something like 250 000 people with British passports live in France and less than 8000 have so far signed the petition. That’s a lower proportion than in many UK constiuencies from people more likely to be directly affected by Brexit.

I think those of you claiming some kind of bogus votes should think again.

I haven’t signed, I no longer want the UK to have a say in EU matters. I no longer think the UK can be a positive force within Europe. The European parliament will be better off without the UKIPers and the commission better off without the UK veto.

I would have voted remain 2 years ago but didn’t get a vote. Today I’d have to draw up a totally different list of pros and cons. I’ve joined the “don’t knows”.

petefromearth

I’m on holiday with my wife (in the EU), we both signed it, so I can assure you at least 2 are not bogus

tomhoward

I was referring to nations that may benefit from a breakup of the EU/British chaos, rather than expats

andyb39
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

The media prezentaion of ex-pats is bizarre: retired people in some ex-pat gheto in Spain, the de-localised start-up owner, the bar owner.

IME the vast majority of ex-pats simply integrate the local economy and soon become invisible. Teacher, university researcher, oil industry, aerospace, yoga teacher, engineering, farmer… locally. They all now have nationality or are in the final stages of the process. And that’s full nationality not some kind of second-rate residency the UK government promises if – add a long list of conditions here including having not been on a long foreign holiday or been abroad to nurse a sick relative;

Nico
    Free Member

I’m on holiday with my wife (in the EU), we both signed it, so I can assure you at least 2 are not bogus

yeah, right. “Wife” …

There was some hoity toity type on the radio a while back extolling the virtues of taking back control and deregulating chlorine-washed chickens etc. He was speaking from Portugal. And of course JRM’s “Somerset” Capital Management has set up in Dublin.

https://www.ft.com/content/38987fe2-6f19-11e8-92d3-6c13e5c92914

peekay

A question about the actual petition….
    Did those who have chosen to sign it receive the confirmation email immediately? 6hrs and nothing in inbox/junk. Don’t want to sign again incase it double counts then flags as fraudulent and removes both entries.

willard

I signed that from Sweden. It affects me as a British citizen working abroad, so it seemed only fair.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Of course, just because we’re on the ‘good’ side of the argument, that doesn’t mean that people and organisations outside of the UK will want to influence things like this.

Drac
    P-Jay
    Free Member

Did those who have chosen to sign it receive the confirmation email immediately?

Took about 30 seconds, but this was this morning before it ‘broke the internet’.

There’s another similar vote that’s on about 950k that’s already scheduled for debate. but this really isn’t about having the debate, it doesn’t end till August anyway, this is about displaying the ‘will of the people’ or at least reminding Maybot that 48% of voters went out of their way to vote for the status quo.

peekay

The petition site is being very unreliable today.
    After a few “bad gateway” messages, and “down for maintenance” messages earlier in the day, I’ve just tried again and it shows hundreds of lines of code instead of anything resembling a website.

Edukator
    Free Member

It affects me as a British citizen working abroad, so it seemed only fair.

A vote in the referendum also seemed “only fair” but I didn’t get one.

Anyhow, has it got to 18 million yet from people entitiled to vote?

Drac

the-muffin-man

Sign away folks – it’ll make sod all difference.

P-Jay
    Free Member

If a butterfly can cause a Hurricane, then a million people going out of their way to sign and online petition in a very short amount of time WILL make a difference, even if it’s not as clear as May saying “Okay, a million’s enough I’ll get Tusk on the phone now”.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Better to support it though rather than just moan about the state we’re in eh..

🤷‍♂️

Cougar

Did those who have chosen to sign it receive the confirmation email immediately?

It took a few minutes for me, but the site wasn’t completely on its arse then.

As I said on The Thread: “I think it’s already significant. Not directly – I doubt it’ll make any difference to anything at all if we’re being realistic – but as a symbolic gesture it’s huge. It’s a bit like going on a protest march.”

the-muffin-man

Dream on P-Jay

We’re British – moaning is our national sport! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Signed and sent to my mp, this shows the mood of the people that May claims to know.

imnotverygood

I think it is about setting the tone. It gets more difficult for May & the Jolly Brexiteers talking about the ‘Will of the People’ if the noise on social media & ‘the steeet’ says different.

RobHilton
    Free Member

If a butterfly can cause a Hurricane,

It can’t. HTH.

tenfoot

Peekay, my email went into my spam folder.

kcr
    Free Member

MPs always multiply up the volume of correspondence they receive on a subject to estimate the actual level of interest, so I think the volume and rate of response on this petition is significant in terms of setting the tone.
    Few politicians are prepared to even mention revocation when discussing the options. This suggests there is a reasonable number of people who want to talk about it.

curto80
    Free Member

Well just by way of example I did it from a boring work conference in a Berlin hotel

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The issue is the will of the people only has to be 50.00001%. Every leave voter I know still wants to leave, more and more they want to “just leave” and see the protracted and abysmal mess of the negotiations not as proof of how bad an idea leaving is but how bad Europe is, bullying us and not acting in our best interests.
    They see the Japanese trade deal which just pushed Nissan and Honda in the UK over the brink as proof that the EU has it in for the UK despite the fact that, as a member state we could have prevented it if our representatives had done their job instead of drawing a salary to go abroad complain about his bad Europe is.

It pains me to say it but, the will of the [tiny majority] of people is still leave and unless the petition gets signed by more than 50% of the UK’s voting population it’ll prove nothing beyond the fact that the huge minority of us who wanted to remain aren’t happy we’re leaving.

eskay

It would be amusing (yet incredibly unlikely) if the petition gained more signatures than the number who voted for Brexit!

leffeboy

Is this due to interference? Or is it something else?

Could be people like me who live outside the UK and are no longer allowed to vote in any national election (other than European elections) taking their option to show their point of view.  I’ll be fantastically happy when I eventually become Belgian and can vote again

kcr
    Free Member

It pains me to say it but, the will of the [tiny majority] of people is still leave

Latest YouGov poll says two thirds would choose Remain if given the choice in another vote.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-second-referendum-deal-opinion-poll-theresa-may-a8831241.html

Potdog
    Free Member

I’ve been living away from the UK for 12 years. Lots of ex-pats here who are Brexiteers. Lots of them also very worried about their status and leave to remain here. But when you talk to them and get to the root of it, it’s mainly because they have never followed the rules and registered as living here, so now do not have the privilege of settled status. This is mainly because they want the best of both worlds, staying registered in the UK rather than here in Spain so that they get better pension privision, use UK healthcare freely and not pay taxes here in Spain. Probably as bigger drain on resources as the immigrants they want to stop with Brexit.

Drac

Seems the still struggle with facts and where the UK population pockets are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘A question regarding the current viral petition…’ is closed to new replies.