Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • A question regarding Karma?
  • binners

Say that someone you know, someone unpleasant, and fully deserving of it, finally ends up on the receiving end, and getting bitten on the arse by it…

is it inappropriate to gloat?

Or would that be wrong? I’m not talking about running around with your top over your head like you’ve just scored the winning goal in a cup final, more just sitting with a wry, satisfied smile and cheering a bit inside?

Or would that invite repercussions for yourself?

footflaps

I’m not talking about running around with your top over your head like you’ve just scored the winning goal in a cup final,

Seems fine to me. It’s important they get the message that they had it coming.

cranberry
    Free Member

Is this about Harriet Harman being a little drummer girl for a group of paedophiles ?

taylorj
    Free Member

Depends on what it is I think..I try not to waste my time on people like that, I know that the universe has it covered 😀

wwaswas

I think I’d escalate to “obviously false expressions of sympathy” but not go as far as “pointing and laughing”.

It’s certainly worth more than “wry smile and a shake of the head”

derek_starship
    Free Member

What you’re doing is fine.

PiknMix
    Free Member

It’s wrong to gloat, the karma coming around is your gloat.

Klunk
    Free Member

hadn’t realized Moyes got the boot !!! 😕

Pigface
    Free Member

Ha ha I always feel like this, if I gloat or celebrate to much it will come back and bite me.

Feel smug but not too smug 😆

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Karma is a tricky one…

On the one hand, it’s nice to think that the universe is doing it’s bit for equilibrium, but often as not, it’s the good guys that get squashed, whilst the likes of Tony Blair, Call me Dave, the Queen and Jimmy Savile, all parade around with mucho dinero and the power to crush mortals.

That said, a good slice of sneering at self inflicted dickheads is a fine sport

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dunno binbins…as a Utd fan you must know how it feels. 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

Karma is not to be messed with.
    You are obviously of the opinion that winding karma up is not a good idea.

Reflection but not gloating, that’s the key!

chrisa87
    Free Member

The germans have a word for it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Though Karma can come back for you later 🙂

EDIT: Whoops, didn’t see Derek_Starship

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I can’t believe that grown men are discussing karma as if it’s a real entity. 🙄

derekfish
    Free Member

Careful gloating could end up inducing bad Karma.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I can’t believe that grown men are discussing karma as if it’s a real entity.

Northwind

Karma only really works as a concept if you buy into reincarnation, at which point yep, it’s pretty cool, cosmic justice as a natural law. But if you don’t then it’s really just wishful thinking.

derekfish
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Karma only really works as a concept if you buy into reincarnation, at which point yep, it’s pretty cool, cosmic justice as a natural law. But if you don’t then it’s really just wishful thinking.

Well it works for me, and it’s as good a way as any to run your life, and if it doesn’t work quickly enough for you, you can always give it a helping hand

Northwind

derekfish – Member

and it’s as good a way as any to run your life

Oh yeah, sorry for the unclearness, I meant literal karma, as in the idea of moral causality as an external force… Rather than the general idea of, well, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, which is probably the best starting point for a philosophy.And I suppose, in some ways it’s better to do these things from choice than it is from fear of divine retribution.

Suppose another connected idea is that “if you want to help others, practice compassion- if you want to help yourself, practice compassion”- doing something cool for another person doesn’t have to literally lead to another person doing something cool for you, because it always leads to you having done something cool which should be its own reward.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Karma (as in the what-goes-around-comes-around version, KarmaLite®) is like coincidence. It only happens if there’s someone around to put two and two together. And it only works if everyone on earth agrees that the original act was undisputedly bad, and that can’t happen.
    No matter how depraved an act, there will always be someone warped enough to be impressed by it, so when the scoundrel gets butt-funned with a family-size bar of KarmaLite®, there will be people who just think the poor little lamb is having a wretched time.
    Trust me, I’ve spent 40 years sticking my finger up the arse of the karma fairy, and good things keep happening… 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Trust me, I’ve spent 40 years sticking my finger up the arse of the karma fairy, and good things keep happening…

You may not see the consequences of this but they are there, and someone else is getting shafted*.

*I am not a mystic and therefore may be wrong.

EDIT Maybe she* likes it.

*or him, equal opportunites and all that.

binners

doing something cool for another person doesn’t have to literally lead to another person doing something cool for you, because it always leads to you having done something cool which should be its own reward.

Amen to that brother 😀

I’m really rather enjoying todays karma though

slackalice
    Free Member

Karma occurs over a lifetime.

Similar to what NW said. Just be good to yourself and others pretty much covers it for me 8)

derekfish
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    derekfish – Member
    and it’s as good a way as any to run your life

Oh yeah, sorry for the unclearness, I meant literal karma, as in the idea of moral causality as an external force… Rather than the general idea of, well, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, which is probably the best starting point for a philosophy.And I suppose, in some ways it’s better to do these things from choice than it is from fear of divine retribution.

Suppose another connected idea is that “if you want to help others, practice compassion- if you want to help yourself, practice compassion”- doing something cool for another person doesn’t have to literally lead to another person doing something cool for you, because it always leads to you having done something cool which should be its own reward.

Well I’m not so sure it doesn’t work that way, but this would be the last place to postulate upon such an idea given it’s Planet Atheist, but then I know Karma will sort them out anyway sooner or later, but just acting the Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby is good enough..

khani
    Free Member

It’s ok but I prefer something a bit spicier myself..

badnewz
    Free Member

I have a list of people I regularly get updates on, to see whether this works in principle…and in most cases, they manage to screw up their own lives. Do I gloat? No, but at the same time I don’t feel any sympathy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You only have to read the first few pages of the Ashes thread to see it in action. 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Wibble. Bibble wibble blaaah baaaaaaaaah.

Bibbly-wibbly. daaaaa-paaaaaaaaaaaa.

Pung!

slackalice
    Free Member

😀 ^^^^

I preferred your dressed bait of the other day Woppit 😀

scandalous
    Free Member

its biting me at the moment and it hurts

derekfish
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Wibble. Bibble wibble blaaah baaaaaaaaah.

Bibbly-wibbly. daaaaa-paaaaaaaaaaaa.

Pung!
    Your karma is clearly a life of posting drivel on internet forums, which nobody even cares about..

CountZero

I’d err on the safe side, and pay some kids to point in the street and jeer, while quietly going about my own business. 😉

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Respect in Karma guides me in my recent life. ..all i ask for is for myself to pay for it than other people which is very close to you.

chewkw
    Free Member

binners – Member

is it inappropriate to gloat?

If it is only within youself then it is with you only unless your gloating affects others, in that case your gloating will return you with bad karma.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Karma’s alright once in a while, but can be a bit fattening if you indulge too much, what with all the creamy coconut milk. Quite moreish though, I’ll agree.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Time to bust a few moves.
    Compose a catchy little middle 8.
    Neck back a selection of real ales.
    Enjoy.

RustySpanner

Karma is a con trick perpetuated by life’s natural born bastards on the rest of us. 😀

See also ‘The meek shall inherit the Earth’ etc.

woodsman
    Free Member

Does the Dalai Lama frequent this forum? He’d have the answer.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘A question regarding Karma?’ is closed to new replies.