Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • A question about 'The Wire' Season 1 (schoolboy error content).
  • giantonagiant

I’m working away from home and have borrowed the series 1 set from a mate, but forgot to check all discs were in the box……

I opened it last night to find disc 1 is missing (first 3 episodes!!!).

Will I be able to pick up what’s gone on in part 4, or should I wait until I can get disc one (about a month!), because I know that each series has a plot that runs the whole season.

Cheers.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I would wait. Well worth watching the whole thing. Download?

flyingmonkeycorps

Wait! The first three episodes do a LOT of setting up. Or Torminalis’s suggestion.

toby1

Hell I had to re-watch discs 1 and 2 twice before I got what was going on.

The language is no holds barred street/cop focused and it takes time to get into what is being said and what it actually means.

As above though – well worth doing.

CaptJon
    Free Member

iTunes.

Lifer
    Free Member

tv-links.eu

warton
    Free Member

wait, definitely. You won;t have a clue whats going on otherwise. I can’t find another programme that entertains me like the wire. I might start watching it again, for the 4th time…

organic355
    Free Member

TROLL ON

not a lot happens in the entire series so you wouldnt miss much TBH

TROLL OFF

CaptJon
    Free Member

I opened it last night to find disc 1 is missing (first 3 episodes!!!).

Sheeiiiiiiiiit

Sidney
    Free Member

+1 word up Captjon, just what I was about to say!

totalshell

its on the telly at the mo.. done the first two episodes though..

giantonagiant

I think I’ll wait then!!!!

Or at least investigate the download options…

Thanks chaps and I’m pleased to hear it’s as good as I’ve been led to believe! 😀

hels
    Free Member

It wins my award for best TV series ever made that doesn’t have space ships in it.

I had to watch the whole of series 1 twice, was on very strong painkillers at the time.

Cougar

If you’ve borrowed it off a mate,

Have you checked all the other disc slots, to make sure it’s not been stuck in the case in the wrong place / behind another disc?

meddle
    Free Member

‘It wins my award for best TV series ever made that doesn’t have space ships in it’

Same – What’s your favourite space ship show? mine’s BSG, The Wire is a brilliant show, for me it’s the greatest TV show ever made, and it’s up there with my favourites. As for the OP question, the first 3 episodes do set it up, infact most of Season 1 is the setup, the first time I ever tried The Wire I struggled as I didn’t enjoy Episodes 1-3 but they are pretty vital looking back now.

Cougar

What’s your favourite space ship show? mine’s BSG,

I can only assume that you’ve never watched Farscape or Firefly, then. (-:

stuartie_c
    Free Member

It wins my award for best TV series ever made that doesn’t have space ships in it.

+1

Even better than “Edge of Darkness” was when I was 14.

Hell, I don’t even need the spaceships!

meddle
    Free Member

I can only assume that you’ve never watched Farscape or Firefly, then. (-:

Of course I have :), Firefly is a very close second for me, I wish it didn’t get cancelled but oh well. Fox are knobs.

hels
    Free Member

BSG best TV show ever !!

Firefly was OK, bit too knowing for me, too many winks to camera.

BSG was played proper straight, and was proper sci-fi I would argue that good as Firefly was, it was just space opera.

And sorry, but Farscape is just pish, no offence. The Muppets in Space was better.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

This is my favourite TV show WITH spaceships:

Set phasers tae “malky”

Cougar

Farscape is just pish, no offence.

None taken. You’re wrong, though. (-:

A lot of people didn’t ‘get’ Farscape, The ‘muppets in space’ comment says it all, that’s exactly what everyone’s first impression is, and it’s really very far off the mark. It’s one of the most inventive, witty, and sometimes incredibly dark TV shows I’ve seen in a long time, but you do need to watch a good few episodes to buy into it.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of The Wire but this is true. Short version of the whole thing: society is doomed, politicians are scum, nothing ever changes, you’re probably not helping anything. It’s character-driven, not plot-driven.

zilog6128

I’m a big fan of The Wire but this is true. Short version of the whole thing: society is doomed, politicians are scum, nothing ever changes, you’re probably not helping anything. It’s character-driven, not plot-driven.

+1
    it’s about the journey, not the destination!

headfirst
    Free Member

BSG best TV show ever !!

Firefly was OK, bit too knowing for me, too many winks to camera.

BSG was played proper straight, and was proper sci-fi I would argue that good as Firefly was, it was just space opera.

This^^^^^

Firefly better than BSG? You frakking kidding me?

vorlich
    Free Member

BSG is a snoozefest. Although Starbuck is hot. 🙂

The Wire is exceptional.

meddle
    Free Member

It’s all about Caprica <3.

Cougar

To be fair to BSG,

I’ve not actually watched it past about the first maybe eight episodes. The overused shaky-cam footage drove me round the bend and I couldn’t watch any more. I keep meaning to go back and give it another go.

meddle
    Free Member

I like that about it to be honest, adds a sense of realism to an obviously unrealistic setting. I’m currently in the process of ‘acquiring’ all the episodes in Bluray for a rewatch, 197GB 😐 been going for about 10 days now and only at 45%. It will be worth it though.

Cougar

There’s realism and there’s “god, keep still FFS or I’m going to upchuck.” I take your point, but it was too much.

Thinking about it, I did watch it at a mate’s house and the reproduction was, ah, less than ideal. Maybe grabbing a proper copy might make for a less chundery experience.

Jerome
    Free Member

Loved the wire.
    Got the shield for Xmas – we will see..

meddle
    Free Member

The Shield is pretty good, can’t be compared to The Wire though, although both kind of a cop show they couldn’t be more different. The Shield got a little too much for me at times.

vorlich
    Free Member

Got the shield for Xmas

I thought it was ok, but lost interest after season 1. No in the same league as The Wire.

Highly recommend Homeland BTW. It’s been keeping us guessing so far – I just hope it doesn’t run into the typical US fate of ‘this is doing quite well, so let’s string it out for another five increasingly implausible seasons’.

meddle
    Free Member

Homeland won a Golden Globe last night, so glad for it. I only watched 8 or 9 episodes though, I will go back to it. Damien Lewis is excellent in it.

Cougar

‘this is doing quite well, so let’s string it out for another five increasingly implausible seasons’.

Or cancel it.

organic355
    Free Member

seriously why does everybody love the wire so much?, I thought it was dull.

but weve done this before, so expect I will get flamed by the fanboys.

Sweary:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjaL935_Nk[/video]

grum
    Free Member

The Wire is ace, though the storyline with McNulty in teh last season nearly took the sheen off it a bit.

BSG is also ace, though flagged badly at times (remember the ‘detective’ episode?). Wish there was a lot more dark, grown-up, straight sci fi. Really wish someone would make a series out of the Ian M Banks culture novels – would be very hard though.

Farscape and Firefly? hmmm…….

I’m currently massively obsessed by Game of Thrones, can’t wait for the next series.

meddle
    Free Member

Hahahah, genius.

konabunny
    Free Member

The Shield is great but it is nothing but a cop action show – and (even as a fan) gets pretty brainless towards the end.

I’ve been meaning to review and go back to Homicide Life On The Street, which in some sense is a prequel to The Wire.

Oz was a huge disappointment – total bosh.

grum
    Free Member

Oz was a huge disappointment – total bosh.

FIrst few seasons of Oz were very good imo – tailed off very badly though.

meddle
    Free Member

I liked Oz at first too, but as I got further on I was thinking what’s happening? It went batshit crazy at times.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘A question about 'The Wire' Season 1 (schoolboy error content).’ is closed to new replies.