• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A question about BBQs, heat and preventing corrosion
  • IHN

I’ve bought a BBQ thermometer for my, er, BBQ. The BBQ is a Weber kettle job, with an enameled steel lid.

The thermometer is one of these:

and mounts via a circa 8mm hole I will drill in the lid, pop the probe of the thermometer through the hole, and secure with a nut and washer on the inside.

That hole will obviously expose a tiny bit of the steel ‘core’ of the lid, and I’m concerned that this could cause corrosion to creep in, as the BBQ lives outside, so will get wet, and I assume that the inside of a BBQ is a pretty corrosive environment anyway.

So, I’m thinking of putting a bit of high-temp 3mm gasket paper and/ or some gasket sealant, under the thermometer on the outside and under the washer on the inside. Am I overthinking it?

hedley
    Free Member

Can’t help you on the corrosion advice but thank you for the link. Just bought one.

IHN

But how will you mount it? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just ignore it?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ignore it. If it starts to rust surely that’s a new barbeque excuse?

IHN

Ignore what, any corrosion?

If it starts to rust surely that’s a new barbeque excuse?

I don’t need, or want, a new BBQ. I quite like the one I’ve got.

jonba
    Free Member

A suitable gasket seems like the best idea. Cover it when not in use and it’ll be fine. Protecting something that is exposed to both high temperature and corrosive environments is difficult. Coatings exist, like paint for exhausts, flues etc. but are very expensive.

I did wonder if high temperature glues exist, at least then you’d be able to but in small quantities.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Exhaust/BBQ paint, it’s not expensive, halfords have it in 250ml tins for £7.50, and pretty much any automotive shop will sell it in spray cans as motorbike exhausts need re-coating fairly frequently.

IHN

Actually, scrap that, just ordered a 75x75x3mm sheet of this for £2.80:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253766047742

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A question about BBQs, heat and preventing corrosion’ is closed to new replies.