Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • A proper hipster question
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

My beard and skin tends to get very dry in the winter and the moisturiser I use sticks and clags up in the beard. Used oil in the past and has done the trick, however it is really expensive for what you get.

Anyone made their own beard oil with any success?

precutduck
    Free Member

I’ve not considered making my own, although that is an interesting idea. But I can recommend this one on amazon good price for 100ml, works well and smells nice.

funkmasterp

Balm works better in my experience and goes a lot further than oil. Are you exfoliating the skin under the beard on a regular basis? A nail brush used whilst in the shower will take care of it. Just don’t get too vigorous. What are you washing your beard with and how long is it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grantyboy
    Free Member

L’Oreal stuff is good and not too expensive. I use the energetic wash/scrub/moisturizer and the beard club oil.
    checkout fashionbeans.com for their grooming tips

precutduck
    Free Member

L’Oreal stuff is good and not too expensive. I use the energetic wash/scrub/moisturizer and the beard club oil.
    checkout fashionbeans.com for their grooming tips

Their beard shampoo is very good as well, this combined with the oil I mentioned earlier have meant that I’ve not had any dry skin issues

geomickb
    Free Member

Too much hassle, shave it off. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use Stihl oil.

tomparkin

I’ve made my own in the past. Mostly because I tried some pre-mixed stuff which cost about a tenner for 100ml and was mostly perfumes and base oil rather than essential oils — i.e. a ripoff.

Startup costs for going the DIY approach are reasonably high, largely because you need to buy the aforementioned essential oils, which can get expensive depending on what you want.

However, once you’ve got a set of oils you like, it’s cheap. Base oils vary in price a bit but will be ~£2-£3 for 100ml, less if you buy in bulk.

There are some considerations to be aware of when selecting essential oils since some may have negative impacts if used in too high a concentration on your skin. There are plenty of resources about this sort of stuff online though, so just read around.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The bulldog oil is good value (and has ‘real’ ingredients rather than a list of unpronounceable chemicals). But +1 for balm though, especially in winter.

Also, get some nice natural soap rather than shampoo, no point stripping out all the natural oils, replacing them with a load of silicone in the shampoo and then slathering wax into it. Beard soap/shampoo bars just leaves it a bit more naturally moisturized.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

Become one with your bike; use chain oil. Wet lube to add a sheen to your beard and dry lube for a matte finish.

nicko74

Become one with your bike; use chain oil. Wet lube to add a sheen to your beard and dry lube for a matte finish.

I believe you’ll find Putoline is best. The best part is if you do beard rotation, it’s no more effort to lube up 3 beards at once, so you can get at least 1000 miles out of your beards before you need to relube it… 😉

epicyclo

mrwhyte

My beard and skin tends to get very dry in the winter and the moisturiser I use sticks and clags up in the beard…

Drink more water. No need to get caught up in the cosmetic bullshit.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Drink a good couple of litres a day, so not that.

Beard is a good couple of inches long. I use a boar bristle brush on it, and also just a basic shampoo. Some of the balms I have tried leave a slight residue once dried. I’ll have a look at the L’Oreal stuff.

Found some bits on making your own, seems faily simple, but as already said, initial cost is a little more.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I believe you’ll find Putoline is best. The best part is if you do beard rotation, it’s no more effort to lube up 3 beards at once, so you can get at least 1000 miles out of your beards before you need to relube it

The big issue with putoline was keeping my face in the pan for long enough for it to really soak in.

epicyclo

mrwhyte

Drink a good couple of litres a day, so not that…

Try coconut oil then. It’s popular amongst PNG people for softening tight curly hair and making it easier to manage.

fossy

Sounds hard work maintaining a beard. I’ll stick with me electric shaver ta.

funkmasterp

Drinking water won’t help. It’s dead skin getting trapped. Using normal shampoo will likely make it worse. Get a decent beard soap and use it a couple of times per week. It’ll last for ages.

Coconut oil is a good shout though. I’ve had a lengthy beard before (chest length) and it’s a pita to keep it looking and feeling nice. Keep it fairly short now as a result. If you’re getting residue from balm I think you’re possibly using too much.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

mrwhyte

My beard and skin tends to get very dry in the winter and the moisturiser I use sticks and clags up in the beard…

Drink more water. No need to get caught up in the cosmetic bullshit.

This. Unless you’re a metrosexual, the beard is meant to save time and money, not cost you more and be more hassle than shaving.

JP

cinnamon_girl

However, once you’ve got a set of oils you like, it’s cheap. Base oils vary in price a bit but will be ~£2-£3 for 100ml, less if you buy in bulk.

Don’t mind me chaps but the above doesn’t look right. Essential oils cost from around £2 for 10ml and your carrier oils need not be expensive. I use this reliable website for other stuff I make and came across this recipe:

https://wellnessmama.com/69561/beard-oil/

Edit: would also pay attention to the soap you’re using, some contain nasties.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Cheers CG. Started using the Faith in Nature soap which I have found to be really good. No plastic bottle waste too and nasty chemicals.

cinnamon_girl

You’re welcome mrwhyte. Yes, Faith in Nature is good and doesn’t dry out my skin. If it helps FreshSkin on Ebay sell reasonably priced essential oils as well as carrier oils. Do keep the EO’s out of sunlight and store in a dark place.

Good luck!

rOcKeTdOg

I never get dry skin but I do drink a lot of dark beers

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sounds hard work maintaining a beard. I’ll stick with me electric shaver ta.

Weird because main reason I have a beard is too lazy to shave* 🤣
    Never use anything on it. Just wash and brush once in a while

*Face-fascinator to offset baldy head is other reason

Waderider
    Free Member

I read the OP as a troll and have been very surprised to read responses that this form of grooming is actually a thing.

I must say some of you lot need to get a grip.

Soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste. Aftershave for special occasions.

You don’t need all this other stuff! Tangentially, I thought hipster (fools) were about getting back to nature, not using chemicals produced at a cost to the natural environment.

sani2c
    Free Member

Boet you need some Buffelsfontein Baard Olie – accept no substitute. They also make brandy. Have a google!

rOcKeTdOg

Aftershave for special occasions.

Not sure you get the idea of beards 🤔

epicyclo

Malvern Rider

.Never use anything on it. Just wash and brush once in a while…

This.

I never use any shaving products, just hot water and a bare unlubricated blade. It seems to me that a recipe for itchy skin is to use soap or detergent and make micro tears in your skin with a razor.

Anytime I get an itch I take it as a sign I am slightly dehydrated and drink more water. Itch goes away shortly after.

BTW is there not research somewhere that shows a man’s skin is in better condition in later life than that of a woman who has used all those chemicals?

DickBarton

Research history and find out what Vikings did.. Suspect they didn’t give a flying monkeys about this as they had far more interesting things to think about.
    Or see if you can get that Billy Connelly conditioner and use that…the one for pubic hair.

Nothing of value to add and now I’m typing it, I’ve nothing funny to add!

mjsmke

GT85

funkmasterp

Some of you should definitely never grow a beard or clearly never have. If it’s just a short thing occasionally brushing it and just washing with water will do the trick. If you wander in to proper bearded territory it takes some looking after to not look like a tramp.

Vikings actually looked after their beards quite well. Archeological digs often find beard combs in burial sites. My Grandad used beard balm. I guess there have always been scruffy bastards and those that want to wear a well groomed beard.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Funnily enough funkmasterp, I have just come back to the office from our conservators room, where they were cleaning up some recently found viking bone combs. Could well have been used for combing their well kept beards.

The reason for the oil and making my own, is that I do not want to use loads of chemicals, plus have a beard that looks well maintained. I don’t grow a beard because I am lazy, I grow it because I want a beard and want it to look good.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Research history and find out what Vikings did.. Suspect they didn’t give a flying monkeys about this as they had far more interesting things to think about.

Yea, but the whole rape and pillage thing has gone a bit out of fashion since #metoo.

funkmasterp

. I don’t grow a beard because I am lazy, I grow it because I want a beard and want it to look good.

I just look wrong without a beard. Other people’s words, not mine. I look like a strange hybrid of Casper and Robocop without his helmet! Nothing wrong with looking after your beard. I’m contemplating growing mine back to wizard length!

MrSmith
    Free Member

the bulldog stuff good for a fiver and no nasties.
    my time is too precious to faff about making your own to save a couple of pounds.
    they sell it in Boots/sainsbury’s/waitrose so not hard to get hold of

ElShalimo

I think this thread needs people to post photos of their beards and we can then critique them….

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

I think this thread needs people to post photos of their beards and we can then critique them….

OR a feeder thread for No Shave November/Movember

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

, I thought hipster (fools) were about getting back to nature

I thought that they were city-bred fashionista Millennials/GenZrs with a penchant for artisan bacon, Kellogs Frosties, social-me-me-jya? Ya? Also popup plaid events, awful analog synthmusic and Grizzly Adams-inspired fashion? It’s like they are playing dressup with old bits of their parent’s heydays? The bits that(most of) their parents threw out?

Then it seems like David Beckham or some footballer or other got in on Hitler-haired beardtwizzling and then the very non-hipster new order of dad-fash got tats, beards and hair-oil as a musthave?

funkmasterp

And then there are people who have just had a beard for years and get on with it

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘A proper hipster question’ is closed to new replies.