• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • A plea for someone to stop being a d*** near Marlow
  • jumble
    Free Member

Hi

Random try, but you never know.

Please whoever is riding across our paddocks and into our yard near Marlow which are no where near bridleways or footpaths please stop. You are riding through our rescue pony’s paddock who was beaten by a man on a bike through his young years. He is terrified of bikes. You can tell this as you ride right up to his paddock fence and you see him going mental in the field as he sees the bike and the lights. In the last few months he is no longer the happy, content pony and we were wondering why. Also you always end up in our yard which is always locked up with no exit point. The yard has more animals in which will be startled by the lights and disturbance.

There are so many great chiltern bridleways near by and really no reason for you to cause such harm to the pony and disturbance to the other animals. Please relate to rule 1 and stop. it is easy for us to see the tracks, the gates you open etc.

Thanks
    Chris

jam-bo

make a strava segement, see if anyone shows up on it…

vincienup
    Free Member

^ actually probably a good use of Strava in this case.

ossify

Wouldn’t it create more problems, by showing other people that there’s a route there?

Have you put up a notice to explain the situation? That seems like the obvious first course of action.

trumpton
    Free Member

OP keep up the good work. Glad there’s people like you around. 😉

ads678

Do what people do with stray cats. Wait for him with a hose pipe, then soak the ****!!

Or just wait til the next time he rides into your land and tell him to stop….

trailwagger
    Free Member

If the riders are ending up in a locked yard, presumably they then have to turn around and go back the way they came?
    If this is the case I doubt its the same riders all the time. So, what is causing them to ride through your paddock/yard? Inadequate signage perhaps?

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Not the old guy coming back for old times sake is it?

taxi25
    Free Member

It makes no sense for the same person to keep returning, unless he/she has an agenda. I’d definitely go with a few prominent signs explaining the situation.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you can create a strava section . see who it might be and you can then make it private via the my segments menu.

Andy

Curious where this is please OP?

cokie

Might be worth setting up a wildlife night camera to film him.
    See who it is and try and track them down, worst case is posting the footage up here & social media.
    They guy clearly knows he’s breaking rule 1 if he’s tearing up your paddock, spooking animals and climbing over locked gates.

vincienup
    Free Member

I used to live in an old farm on the moors. Since the farm had been closed and become a regular house, the old FP through the yard (ie, though my garden) had been diverted around the outside of the wall. Clearly signposted and marked on the current OS, local map etc. That didn’t slightly deter the local rambling club doing everything short of having picnics in there on a regular basis, daily in summertime and showing their out of date maps claiming they trumped the current signage whenever challenged. It was a useful experience and gave me far more understanding of the stereotype grumpy farmer (with or without broken shotgun prop).

Signs are worth a go but I think you really need to get hold of the person explain and hope they’re not an ‘ill ride where I want’ rider.

jumble
    Free Member

Thank you for all the replies and advice. There is no singletrack or fun riding to be had, just a flat paddock with well defined walkways which makes it so odd. Been here 50 odd years.

More specific detail on existing signs I guess.

dannyh
    Free Member

Hope you get it sorted amicably is all I can really say.

If it is one lone rider, at night, who constantly climbs over locked gates to ride a flat walkway in a paddock then end up in a locked yard from which he can only extricate himself the way he came in – then this sounds really, really odd.

Signage first (polite) will hopefully sort it, but it sounds so weird I would be a little bit careful if you ever need to confront them in person.

kcal

couple of thoughts on this (Strava segment will catch only those making rides public but I guess it’s worth a try).

1/ Is there some mythical singletrack that they ‘re searching for (and failing, obviously)? maybe check local rider forums for farm/steading name.

2/ hm, it’s not on or near a Veloviewer square access is it? might be someone local ticking off another tile…

3/ post up photos of the tracks and we can have “what tyres are these” thread 😉

Pook

Is s/he doing it on a regular basis at a regular time? Wait for them

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Is Strava heatmap still a thing? You might see activity on your property on that. You could then have a look on Strava for nearby segments and may, with luck, be able to see from recent ride who it might be
    Assuming they are a Strava user, of course.

It all sounds a bit trespassy. Any mileage in speaking to the Police?

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Maybe the bike is just his transport and he is theer for some mythical pokemon from that pokemon go app.
    There are a bunch that hang out at my town centre still and are all minimum 45 years old.
    It seems all the kids are done with it but there are some grown adults who did not get the message.

martinhutch

I caught a hypnonewt once.

Base stats were terrible.

Andy

I was curious to where it was a I know the local trails there and wondered if it was being used as a short cut but obvs not.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘A plea for someone to stop being a d*** near Marlow’ is closed to new replies.