Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • A note to patrice evra…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

As mate of mine was in turkey on business last week and came across the pack of biscuits below. Are you now going to accuse turkey of being racist…?

Edukator
    Free Member

You could have chosen from half a dozen Spanish products to highlight your racist attitudes too. It’s using “negro” and “Patrice Evra” in the same post that makes you racist, Loddrik.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Funny, because i’ve found Turk’s to be quite rascist.

(disclaimer: not all Turk’s are rascist)

MrSmith
    Free Member

what’s his username on here? didn’t know he worked in I.T. and rode mtb’s on his day off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not sure it’s a good idea to drag all this up again. It was unpleasant enough the last time. 😐

steve_b77
    Free Member

That is acceptable as it’s in it’s country of origin (or at least where they are sold) however if they were to appear on the shelves in your local Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury/Aldi etc I reckon it may well make the papers.

It’s all about being socially aware & correct

binners

Wahaaaaaay! Bravisimo is back 😀

*flutters eyelashes at DD*

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s all about context. if someone hit patrice evra in the face with a packet of said biscuits it might be seen as slightly more confrontational than stocking them in a supermarket.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*flutters eyelashes at DD*

*Swoons*

jon1973
    Free Member

if someone hit patrice evra in the face with a packet of said biscuits it might be seen as slightly more confrontational than stocking them in a supermarket.

Is it more confrontational than hitting him in the face with a packet of chocolate digestives?

BigJohn

I don’t know what negro means in Turkish but I do know there is a chain of electrical stores called Arcelic.

It’s owned by Koc (who make the Beko appliances).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When one makes one’s Confirmation in Ireland, one wears a suit. I made mine in lets see, would have been around 82 or 83? I wore a rather dashing dark brown pair of trousers and a tweedy style sports jacket in a lighter brown colour. I looked quite the part let me tell you.

I remember in the clothes shop when my mum was talking to the chap who was measuring me up asking what colour the trousers were. He replied “**** Brown”. So, when mates were asking what I was going to be wearing for my confirmation suit, I would tell them, “a **** brown pair of trousers and light brown tweed sports jacket”. 😐

Ashamed to this day. 🙁

voodoo_chile

looked like a new brand of forks at a glance ..

zokes
    Free Member

Is it more confrontational than hitting him in the face with a packet of chocolate digestives?

Depends if they were dark chocolate digestives…

muggomagic

As mate of mine was in turkey on business last week and came across the pack of biscuits below

Ahhhh a game of soggy biscuit is always a good one to seal the deal with a business partner.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes repeatedly calling some one negro whilst nipping him in a confrontational manner is no worse than naming a biscuit in a foreign country…why not get yourself down to one of the ethnically mixed communities in your broad minded city and start calling Black people negro- post up the video of how it went 🙄

FFS suarez is almost definitely not a racist but to try and defend what he did/said takes some seriously Liverpool shaped filters of perception.

Mocking the victim of this is another example of that great scouse sense of humour
    Marvelous

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Question is – is Luis Suarez a spanish speaker using the word negro in a conversation in spanish initiated by Patric Evra in spanish in the UK racist? I dont think it is.

JY – is there any evidence of that happening other than Patrice Evra saying it happened?

zokes
    Free Member

Mocking the victim of this is another example of that great scouse sense of humour
    Marvelous

It’s OK, the OP will be off out soon to knick some alloys…

trailmonkey

FFS suarez is almost definitely not a racist

despite admitting fouling someone ‘because you are black’ then claiming ‘ i don’t talk to blacks’ ???????????

it’s possible that i may need to re evaluate my definition of racism.

but i don’t think so.

Edric64
    Free Member

I thought it was ok to use the word negro ? it`s not in the OED as being offensive

theflatboy
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    it’s possible that i may need to re evaluate my definition of racism understanding about this all being better off concluded.

FTFY. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

There was an enquiry and a 114 page report SBZ- got a bit of news coverage iirc – did you not read it on the Liverpool blogs

I dont think he is a racist either but he did use racist language

The support, the excuses, the “apology/acceptance” has belittled your great club tbh, shuould have been more like

Suarez did not realise that this would be construed as racist in this country. He is not a racist but he accepts that the word is wholly inappropriate to use in this country evern though it is not considered offensive in his own country,. He apologises unreservedly or any offence caused, will not repeat the mistake and has apologised personally to Evra”

Might have been a more honest and classier reply rather than what he/pool did do leading to him being called an unreliable witness, which is posh for liar.
    We probably would not still be talking about it. #Loyalty to your club is admirable, blind loyalty is not

@trail monkey i dont doubt he was using racist language but he was doing it to wind up an opponent rather than because he is a racist

surfer
    Free Member

the OP will be off out soon to knick some alloys..

My sides my sides…..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I read every word of the report and didnt see a single shred of evidence. It was one persons word against another and judged upon balance of probability. You probably think that I’m a **** doesnt make it true based on your thoughts though does it….

surfer
    Free Member

yes repeatedly calling some one negro whilst nipping him in a confrontational manner

I have read a couple of reports that indicate he only said it once. I cant reference them unfortunately but they indicated that each succesive telling of the story by Evra was misconstrued. I understand Evra confirmed this in an interview he gave in France. If I can find it I will post a link.

What does “nipping him a confrontational manner” mean?

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s OK, the OP will be off out soon to knick some alloys…

🙄

nope, I’ll be learning how to spell correctly…

surfer
    Free Member

The whole thing was flawed and nobody comes out of this looking good. I think a great deal of harm has been done to Suarez’s reputation based on very flimsy (or non existent) evidence. He shouldnt have this hanging over his head IMO

portlyone

lol @ surfer. Both sides confirmed what was said.

surfer
    Free Member

Might have been a more honest and classier reply rather than what he/pool did do leading to him being called an unreliable witness, which is posh for liar.

Evra was allowed to give evidence whilst watching footage of the incident. He was able to comment as each confrontation occured on the screen.
    Suraez was asked to explain what happened without that benefit. This I understand was what gave rise to the “unreliable witness” allegation.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

I read every word of the report and didnt see a single shred of evidence. It was one persons word against another and judged upon balance of probability. You probably think that I’m a **** doesnt make it true based on your thoughts though does it….

This^^ is my feeling on the matter, the FA used this as a stick to beat FIFA with, Suarez was convenient.

I await to see what happens with John Terry(the chap that called Ledley King a Lippy Black monkey in 2006 and called Anton Ferdinand a Black C*nt), as the court has to prove beyond reasonable doubt he was guilty, unlike Suarez, where probability was good enough, now if he gets off in court, I firmly believe the FA will let it slide, even though they only look for “probability” they will let it pass, although if they are to be fair they should try him under their rules..

muggomagic

Now this is all I’ve read on it, and if true I find it pretty amazing that anyone can think he is not a racist.

Copied from the telegraph link below.
    The row
    In the 62nd minute, Suárez wins a corner and jogs into the United area, where he is being marked by Evra. The two players then become involved in a heated argument, in Spanish:
    PE: F—— hell, why did you kick me?
    LS: Because you’re black.
    PE: Say it to me again, I’m going to kick you.
    LS: I don’t speak to blacks.
    PE: OK, now I think I’m going to punch you.
    LS: OK, blackie, blackie, blackie.

Link to telegraph

Junkyard
    Free Member

Source surfer for this claim – preferably with the fa accepting it as true ..new to me

SBZ he admits saying the word negro to evra so it is not one mans word against another SBZ they both agree he said it. much of his defence was that this word is not racist
    Are you sure you read the report?
    EDIT:here is the report for all those claiming to have read it and say it is one mans word against another FFS he admits he said it this is not in dispute – he even mounts a defence based on why it not racist

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/NewsAndFeatures/2011/~/media/Files/PDF/TheFA/Disciplinary/Written%20reasons/FA%20v%20Suarez%20Written%20Reasons%20of%20Regulatory%20Commission.ashx

Garry_Lager

The whole thing was flawed and nobody comes out of this looking good. I think a great deal of harm has been done to Suarez’s reputation based on very flimsy (or non existent) evidence. He shouldnt have this hanging over his head IMO

lol – are you serious? Suarez is a cheating, biting, diving shithouse. He has no reputation, which is precisely the point why many Liverpool fans feel he got short shrift from the FA – they took his previous character into account when maybe they shouldn’t have.
    You know he was banned for 7 games in Holland for biting a player (!) when Liverpool bought him, right?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

JY – Yes I did read it. What racist connotation does negro have in spanish?

G_L – why didnt they take Evra’s previous misdemeanors into account? Big deal, Suarez does what he has to win, but that doesnt make him racist. Anyone remember Solskjaer and his deliberate professional foul on someone who was clean through on goal to ensure that Man Utd won the title back in the 90s? …

Or indeed Neville Southall’s repeated sendings off for catching the ball when outside his penalty area?

Stoner
    Free Member

those damn continental biscuits have a lot to answer for…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

lol – are you serious? Suarez is a cheating, biting, diving shithouse. He has no reputation, which is precisely the point why many Liverpool fans feel he got short shrift from the FA – they took his previous character into account when maybe they shouldn’t have.

Obvious bias is obvious.

You really ought not to let your hatred of LFC cloud your logic and reasoning when posting. See JY’s posts for an example. Didn’t you post something about Bolton’s fantastic victory on SBZ’s thread yesterday? Let it go man. It’s not pretty. You showed yourself up the last time this came up too. There’s still time to rescue a sense of perspective here.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The word “negro” can have pejorative connotations, as it may be associated with low class
    status, ugliness, vulgar behaviour, noisiness, violence, dishonesty, sexual promiscuity etc.
    In the River Plate region, for example, “los negros” is sometimes employed as a general
    term for the lower classes and especially for lower-class people whose behaviour is
    deemed vulgar and not “respectable”.
    171. Thus, the word can be employed with the intent to offend and to offend in racial terms;
    often the word would be appended with further insult, as in the example “negro de
    mierda” [shitty black].
    172. The word “negro” is by no means, however, always used offensively. The term can also be
    used as a friendly form of address to someone seen as somewhat brown-skinned or even
    just black-haired. It may be used affectionately between man and wife, or
    girlfriend/boyfriend, it may be used as a nickname in everyday speech, it may be used to
    identify in neutral and descriptive fashion someone of dark skin; several famous people in
    Uruguay are known as “el negro/la negra such-and-such”.

now at the time they were arguing and Suarez was nipping him [ he admits all this].
    The balance of probabilities are that he an evra were not having a friendly exchange [ FFS who could think that?} and it was used pejoratively.

if you want to believe the friendly liarinconsistent suarez nipped someone whilst calling him negro as friendly banter [ watch the video, friendly my arse]then so be it but it is incredulous to the point even a small child would not try and pas it off as truth

portlyone

I lived in South America, racism is rife. Negro is used as an affectionate term, while I guess being used to subjugate black people. Words have power.

Using it on a pitch in the UK while trying to rile people is completely different. He’s been in Europe long enough to know that now.

If Evra is hassled by the Liverpool support because of complaining of being racially abused (and not the usual Man Utd player rubbish) then it says a lot about certain fans of Liverpool FC.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The whole thing was sparked off by Evra cheating. There was a clash of knees and Evra went down like he’d been shot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s any point in saying the “worst” sections of any teams’s supporters are any better than others. No sport’s fans come anywhere near as bilious as football fans.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘A note to patrice evra…’ is closed to new replies.