Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • A note for Cranham (Glos) riders…
  • mrmo
    Free Member

i’ll go out tomorrow and have a look,

MightyMekon
    Free Member

Yep seems like scare tactics that are unlikely to cause much concern amongst bikers…I just wondered who has put it up and why…concerned following the original post that someone(s) have an issue with bikers and are attempting to stir things up…I hope I am wrong!

grahamh
    Free Member

This guy maybe?

hughjardon
    Free Member

If after all the talking they don’t see sense, we could post dogs poo through their letter box?

Just an idea!

mrmo
    Free Member

If after all the talking they don’t see sense, we could post dogs poo through their letter box?

Just an idea!

If they don’t see sense just organise a mass tresspass, wouldn’t be hard to find enough regular riders, and i know it goes against every part of me, but needs must. I really don’t know how they can stop riders? It is not as though riders have never been allowed/tolerated like so many places. This is a place riders have been using for 20+ years, stopping isn’t going to be easy.

grahamh
    Free Member

MrMo the new Benny Rothman 🙂

MightyMekon
    Free Member

Graham…that’s the fella!

james-o
    Free Member

“Was riding up there yesterday morning and saw a note nailed to the signpost to the access to the Cotswold way from the bird lip road, on the way to the wall run…it was warning that an mtb’er was fined 400 quid for riding on a footpath up there, not sure I believe it…”

that was there in early Novenber.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Theres always been horse riding in Cranham.Back in 1995 i was stopped by the top of the cheese roller and these two guys working there told me that bikes were not allowed yet i mentioned about the horses and was told they are only permissive in most of Cranham and they were looking into Bikes.Alot of the year its not worth riding in there but people do and some of the trails arent great now.

mrmo
    Free Member

early riding

If you read the first pages, this is 1880 and people were riding horses through the woods then.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

I for one will not be prepared to pay to ride in the countryside, where will it end if we have to pay to ride? Was up in the woods this morning with the dogs and all was ok, no new signs etc. A genuine question, if trespass is a civil mater and you could be fined, how are they going to fine/prosecute you if you don’t give any details etc they have no powers to hold you, that would be assault at the very least.

this is a very large load of b@ll@cks with very little that the new “owners” can do about it me thinks 😀 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

bit of digging, tresspass is a civil offence and it is possible for the landowner to sue the tresspasser, but this isn’t going to happen is it!

Under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 the senior attending police officer can arrest you for tresspass, but do you really see a policeman coming out!

So be nice to the owners when you see them enjoy your ride.

Goz
    Free Member

Ride and respect….simple.

tang
    Free Member

…in small numbers

lookmanohands
    Free Member

I’m always polite ( 😛 ) and I always ride in small numbers !

Bushwacked
    Free Member

…on 26″ wheels with suspension and gears 😉

Goz
    Free Member

But please no cheese!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

In that link Mrmo put on above – I love the way the archiologist proudly states that he rode his horse around and on top of the barrow (Shrine).

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Na 29 and 1×10, all at gnarl to the power of max!

Goz
    Free Member

No inbetween sizes!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Do some work, Goz

Dancake
    Free Member

Trouble is that all locals dont use this forum..

I met a couple of nice chaps up Haresfield once. They were volunteers who working all day to preserve a longbarrow that was being eroded by bikes riding over it. (I was about to .I didnt know what it was )

They had filled and sured up the trail with gravel and blocked the entrance and exit with big stumps and bracken.

I was happy to post on a couple of sites to try and keep people off it but all their work had been undone in less than a week which must really give us a bad name…

(For info the site is in standish woods at the start of the trail that goes down to the farm track)

Im Rambling a bit, but Not all riders read forums so it is going to be hard to offer a mass sensible approach?

mrmo
    Free Member

which is why the owners don’t have much hope of banning cyclists, They can’t fence the woods and commons off due to access legislation. They can only talk to so many riders, and many riders will ignore them even if they are told to go.

If there are areas of the woods that should be avoided for good reason, not just NIMBY, then signs, and posting on internet is the best that can b done.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Just wondered if anyone else had heard seen anything more on this since this thread?
    Only asking because I got my first encounter with one of the landowners today. Definitely came across as ‘Get off my land’ and spent the entire conversation talking down her nose at us.
    A bit ‘considerably richer than yow’.

v666ern
    Free Member

twas up there on thursday night, no signs and trails were all good! 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

ah god damn it…pulled an inch metal tack out of my front tyre on the section from the sawmills house on down…it looked like an old one if thats anygood 🙁

DarrenH

Bad luck Mark.
    As you say, hopefully it’s just an old one.
    There’s a lot of history involving scattered metal tacks up there.

mrmo
    Free Member

did you ride the barrow, i did help to remove tacks but there were a lot a few weeks back.

v666ern
    Free Member

did racetrack, shrine, whitehouse to the bottom of the wall
    the tack was just after the whitehouse, went down fast, then had another just before the ride up to the wall…so frustrating changing 2 in the mud 🙄

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘A note for Cranham (Glos) riders…’ is closed to new replies.