Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • A noise box for a generator?
  • ciderinsport
    Free Member

From time to time I take a generator to events.

One event I’m heading to this summer has camping fairly close to houses on one side. So, I’m thinking if I make something to direct the noise in the other direction, it might be deemed a little less anti-social!

My plan: A wooden frame (3 sides and a roof), polystyrene inner, with a ply outer. Exhaust fumes will not be trapped, and sound directed the way the open side faces.

Will this kind of thing make any difference?
    Or am I wasting my time trying?

andyl
    Free Member

first thing to check is generators are allowed. Would be a PITA to go to all that trouble and cart it there to be told not to use it.

Polystyrene could be a fire risk and is not very dense so I would question it’s effectiveness (but am guessing there).

Don’t scrimp on the ply thickness or use plenty of framework inside to stiffen it up and prevent having large panels that can vibrate like speakers. You could get something like Dynamat (cheaper stuff available) to stick to the ply. Dense rubber is very good at damping sound.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Use mdf instead of ply for the same reason

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ciderinsport
    Free Member

Ok, so MDF lined with old tyres and inner tubes would be a good idea?

And yes, it’s fine to use the genny where I take it! Just trying to be over thoughtful!

andyl
    Free Member

Good call on the MDF. Is chipboard even denser?

Just googled for alternative sound deadening: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dynamat-alternative-van-soundproofing-insulating-content

I guess you could pop down the scrappy and get some sound proofing from inside of car bonnets.

TheBrick
    Free Member

On any air inlets and exhaust outlets put bends (ideally 2 so there is a U shape) in ducting and point the open end at the ground. Allow for cooling. A fan to force air may be needed.

nealglover
    Free Member

Generator placed in an MDF box with no lid.

Another larger MDF box with no base, placed over the top (with a 2″ gap all round)

The outer box needs to be lifted off the ground on legs about 2″ to allow fumes out/air in.

This works a treat and is almost silent unless you are really close.

maccruiskeen

Good call on the MDF. Is chipboard even denser?

MDF is going to soak up any rain like a sponge. Stirling board / OSB is better for outdoor use (and its lighter) Regular chipboard is also vulnerable to wet but chipboard flooring is pretty moisture resistant (but heavy). Earthwool batts (loft insulation made from recycled glass bottles – not as dusty or itchy as regular fibre glass insulation -its fire proof and you can buy it in B&Q) stapled onto boards -stretch some fabric over it like you’re upholstering the boards- I’ve made sound deadening plugs to go in doorways between adjacent rooms being used as festival venues in Edinburgh using earth wool – about 200mm is enough to stop the PA from one room getting through to the audience in the next.

Most portable and still fire proof would be just a few pieces of foil faced Kingspan – thats made of fire retardant polyurethane foam – no real need for the plywood if you do that, but its quite pricy

spicer
    Free Member

I’ve used an upside down shopping trolley with foam around all but where the air intake and exhaust were (inside the trolley, between it and the genny), which did reduce the noise a fair bit

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘A noise box for a generator?’ is closed to new replies.