Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 299 total)
  • A new Tesla for £25k? Sounds good.
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

That sounds a good price for a Tesla. 0-60 in less than 6 seconds and the range looks OK …. I would be very tempted.

maxtorque

If they get that to market at anywhere near £24k, for one you’d want to own (ie with some basic spec) then it’s a potential game changer imo.

In reality, i suspect the number will start with a 3 for anything that actually drives out of the showroom….. (look at the prices of i3’s,Leafs etc)

maxtorque

There’s also the issue that dealers will need to start moving their revenue stream from a servicing/looking after based model to a retail one. (‘lecy cars don’t need nearly as much attention as ICE ones, and without reasons to visit the dealer, they will need to make more money on the initial sale to stay viable)

jimc101
    Free Member

Unless it comes with something to top the Insane or Ludicrus mode, not worth it

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Surely the price will be like bike parts so $35000 = £35000+

It’d be a game changer if you could get one for £25k but I cant’ see it happening. I also wonder what cars like this will be worth when they’re out of warranty. There’s some pretty expensive batteries that would need replacing along with a shedload of electronics that can go wrong.
    I’ve seen some eye-watering bills for Mercedes cars when they’re out of warranty and I can’t see Tesla being any different.

jimjam
    Free Member

If autopilot mode will drive me home from the pub, I’m in.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In theory I have a BMW 330e on order. If that falls through I would look at one of these. What puts me off is the awful interiors, and that they don’t drive as well as BM’s

Also infrastructure & charging is an issue. As leccy cars get more popular (which they are doing massively so at the minute) people will end up waiting for people to charge so they can charge, and who wants to hang around for 3hrs at a service station while your car charges?

thepurist

I’m waiting for them to release an SUV…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

There’s some pretty expensive batteries that would need replacing along with a shedload of electronics that can go wrong.

8 years warranty on a model S

But anyway …. you’ll probably be able to take them around the back of the many many high street shops that sell phone covers, chargers and cheap screens replacements … 😆

andyl
    Free Member

[Quote].thepurist – Member
    I’m waiting for them to release an SUV [/quote]

They already have, it’s the model x. Problem is the back doors open upwards so you can’t fit a roof rack for canoes etc. They do a rear bike rack though and I think it it rated to tow.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve seen some eye-watering bills for Mercedes cars when they’re out of warranty and I can’t see Tesla being any different.

So you’re saying these cars powered by thousands of small explosions a minute might not be reliable either? They’ll never catch on.

It might actually tempt me to buy a new car at £25k, if they could offer a finance package over a longer term (i.e. the 8 years warranty) then is you were doing ~12,000 miles a year it would be cost neutral against something like a Focus for £12k (assuming your £12k and therefore petrol focus does 40mpg and petrol stays at 105p/l and the finance is 0%).

thepurist

They already have, it’s the model x

Dammit! Do they do a large estate car that’s infinitely better in so many ways?

with a shedload of electronics that can go wrong

But there isn’t a shedload of complicated gearboxes*, transmission* and exhaust systems to go wrong?

* My knowledge of all things automotive is vey shaky, but my understanding is that electric cars don’t need these? (one motor on each wheel with no gear box?)

bol

Likely to start at £35k in the uk after taxes, but still a game changer. My Golf hybrid listed at more than that. If it comes with supercharging and a real world range of 200 miles then for most people who can fast charge at home range will never really be an issue. I was toying with putting a deposit down this morning, but I think I’ll wait and see what the other manufacturers respond with first.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d be very tempted, I’ll miss the first lot as my car is due to be replaced in Dec, but come 2019!

I really tried to have a Nissan Leaf last time, but with a real world range of 60-70 miles I just didn’t work and the guy in Nissan just gave a nervous laugh when I asked about carrying a bike and muttered something about finding a decent rack and it doing terrible things to the range.

bol

It’ll be nearly 3 years until my Golf is replaced, so I’m really hoping they’ll be here and fairly readily available by then. In the mean time I’m loving doing most of my driving on electric. It’s really disappointing when the engine cuts in. Currently averaging 128mpg and 5mpkw. Each kW costs me 6p, so not a bad combination whilst I wait for a better solution.

mrchrispy

This is partly why I was happy to get my new yeti on 3 year deal.
    It has a perfectly suitable 1.4TSi engine but in 3 years time I’m hoping electric or hybrids are much much better.

andyl
    Free Member

. Dammit! Do they do a large estate car that’s infinitely better in so many ways?

Well the X is kind of SUV/estate.

I wish they did a model S “waggon” though as it would be huge. You can already get an extra 2 seats in the back of the normal S as there is so much room there and you still have the front boot for your picnic.

. somewhatslightlydazed – Member
    with a shedload of electronics that can go wrong
    But there isn’t a shedload of complicated gearboxes*, transmission* and exhaust systems to go wrong?
    * My knowledge of all things automotive is vey shaky, but my understanding is that electric cars don’t need these? (one motor on each wheel with no gear box?)

There have been some electric cars like that but the Tesla has 1 motor per axle set (rwd one has 1 motor at the back, 4wd version. Has motors front and back). This means they still have a differential and probably some gearing to get the rpms right at cruising speed. I think it is a fixed gearing though.

Motor at each wheel would be terrible for handling and vulnerable to shocks etc

packer
    Free Member

I’d be prepared to pay a premium over a petrol/diesel car to have one of these. Would definitely consider getting one on a lease if/when that’s an option.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@bol Golf GTE?

Electric 5mpkw @ 6p per KW is 1.2p per mile

Petrol is 128mpg so 3.54p per mile

Totaling 4.74p per mile

With Petrol at £1 a litre, or £4.54 for an imperial gallon that’s equivilent to a normal petrol car doing 95ish MPG?

That’s very impressive!

gobuchul
    Free Member

£25k for a car that can only go 200 miles? Seriously?

By the time you factor in the pollution from the production and the fact you are still burning fossil fuels to produce the electricity, with the energy losses for transporting the power on the grid, it isn’t actually that “green”.

We have a 12 year old Yaris for short journeys and a very comfortable 7 year old Lexus for long journeys and I think that’s greener than using that thing.

Reduced maintenance costs? How long before you have to replace the batteries and for what cost?

This is clever tech but not the solution for our transport problems.

thewanderer
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

By the time you factor in the pollution from the production and the fact you are still burning fossil fuels to produce the electricity, with the energy losses for transporting the power on the grid, it isn’t actually that “green”.

We have a 12 year old Yaris for short journeys and a very comfortable 7 year old Lexus for long journeys and I think that’s greener than using that thing.

Reduced maintenance costs? How long before you have to replace the batteries and for what cost?

This is clever tech but not the solution for our transport problems.

is that just your opinion or have you any evidence?

andyl
    Free Member

I bet each kW of electricity an electric car uses is far cleaner than every kW of usable for motion power your 12 and 7 year old cars produce.

Also the way power is used is an EV is more efficient due to not using fuel when sat at junctions, traffic etc and lower drivetrain losses and braking regeneration.

Roughly 1/3rd of the fuel your car burns is lost directly as heat from the engine, radiator etc, another 1/3rd through heat out of the exhaust and then when you stop all that kinetic energy is dumped as more heat.

Processing and transporting fuel has a huge carbon footprint, as do the oils, coolants etc that need to be replaced.

Electricity might be produced by burning fossil fuels but it is done so more efficiently than a car and there is also the option of renewable sources and as grids get smarter and electric cars more popular then we can time charging to grab unused renewable energy. Batteries are not great things but technology is improving the life and other tech such as salt water batteries have 100% duty with no harmful waste and long life.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, you are using electricity that might have been produced in a dirty power station but that will only improve over time and, anyway, you’re doing that driving your petrol car: The oil refineries consume a huge amount of electricity to refine the crude – pretty much what you’ll use in an electric car.

I must admit, though, driving an electric car around California is a lot different than than the UK – remember there’s no big petrol engine warming the inside of the car up…

Rachel

jambalaya
    Free Member

April 1st

wwaswas

Given that Sweden has banned sales of diesel and petrol cars from 2025 this trend is going to accelerate now.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You do understand that the production of IC cars also creates pollution and that petrol/diesel has to be pumped out of the ground then transported 1000’s of miles before it’s refined and then transported again in tankers to fuel stations don’t you?

[edit: too late]

bol

@p-jay, yes, I’m pretty pleased with that, but it does reflect the fact that most of my journeys are fairly short.

Whilst people love to trot out all the stuff about how much worse it is for the environment to drive an electric car than a petrol engined one (with loads of bloke in the pub evidence to back it up), one of the best things about EVs is that most of them charge at night when there is currently loads of electricity generation being wasted. Cheap and relatively climate neutral whatever the source.

I’m under no allusion that my car is a half way house which will be regarded as hideously old tech in 10 years time, and isn’t half as environmentally friendly as they will be in the future, but I’m loving it, and the new Tesla really fills me with hope for the future.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Whilst people love to trot out all the stuff about how much worse it is for the environment to drive an electric car than a petrol engined one (with loads of bloke in the pub evidence to back it up),

Buying a brand new car to replace a perfectly good and serviceable one is worse for the environment overall, regardless of what power plant it has.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I must admit, though, driving an electric car around California is a lot different than than the UK – remember there’s no big petrol engine warming the inside of the car up…

You’ve got to cool it down instead and according to the Tesla Range Per Charge tool it’s slightly more efficient to heat the interior rather than cool it unless it’s freezing outside.

birdage

I’ve got a Leaf on lease and get on average 96 miles from it. Dips a bit in winter using heating etc. Depends on your lifestyle, yes you need to journey plan but for general commuting use it costs me the same to lease as a monthly rail ticket, charge it at work free and get business mileage so it actually pays me to drive it. It’s also very nice to drive.

EVs should be a major share of the car market in the next 10 years if they can sort out the charging infrastructure. It’s a bit like mobile phone chargers were a few years ago.
    Fossil fuels should be left in the ground where they belong as far as I’m concerned.

bol

Buying a brand new car to replace a perfectly good and serviceable one is worse for the environment overall, regardless of what power plant it has.

Yep, you’re probably right, if you are going to just bury the old one in the ground rather than sell it on or recycle it. Are you planning to keep yours until you stop driving, or will you need to replace it at some point? The cars we use now will die and need replacing one day. Better that they’re replaced with less polluting alternatives when the time comes. I’m guessing that my current car will have a lifespan of 15-20 years, be owned by four or five people and drive 150k miles plus. If each time it’s sold on it replaces a car which returns 40mpg and belches out carcinogens, that can’t be all bad can it?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Theres a Tesla ‘showroom’ at Westfield in that West London. I wandered in and had a look around and a sit in a model S. They had a chassis in there without a body on top of it and there really is very little to the motors. It was pretty much a flat surface with a lump behind each of the wheels. Theres a huge amount of space in the interior without any sort of transmission tunnel down the middle or anything behind the dash.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Easiest analogy is the change in mobile phones. Tesla = Apple and we’re all driving Nokias at the moment.

There are a few people sticking to their dumb-phones, in ten years time will be the same with ICE cars.

dragon
    Free Member

Have you looked at the interior pics of the Model 3 it looks awful, just an ipad bolted to the dash, with nothing else. They certainly didn’t spend money on ergonomic experts.

Also rumors that Tesla’s aren’t all that well made.

Be interesting if EV cars take off to see how governments get back the losses they’ll see in fuel tax revenue.

andyl
    Free Member

Rear end of a model S:

The metal cylinder on the left is the motor and I believe the one on the other side is the drive inverter (ie electronics that power the motor).

You can see it has conventional driveshafts linking to what will be a differential which is driven by the motor.

The batteries are liquid cooled as they heat up during use – this is a standard effect of things being less than 100% efficient (batteries heat up when charging or discharging, wires heat up with current, fluid pumps heat up etc etc).

They can use that waste heat to heat the cabin when needed to reduce the yse of electrical power but air con requires power. I don’t know for sure but they may well be using a reversible heat pump for heating and cooling to improve efficiency.

tthew

For me that’s cracked the range and cost hurdles that prevent me from buying an EV. One of these, or an equivalent from another manufacturer will likely be the next car I purchase.

Now, someone please bring out a smallish van with the same range and similar price.

bol

@dragon, yes, the build quality of the S has been pretty patchy by comparison to other “premium” cars. I agree about the ergonomics too. I’d be surprised if the final version doesn’t have a few buttons on the wheel and a head up display.

Daffy

My problem with Tesla is whether they’ll exist in 3 years. They lost 40% of their €2bn float just last year, if they don’t turn a profit soon, they’ll be in administration and then what?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 299 total)

The topic ‘A new Tesla for £25k? Sounds good.’ is closed to new replies.