• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jolsa.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • A new phone to last
  • Jolsa

Still running a Nexus 4 and I’d happily carry on but it’s getting trickier managing the 8GB of space, and updates stopped months ago which slightly worries me.

Based on this, what options are out there that offer a decent length of time with regards to security and OS updates?

A quick bit of Googling suggests Apple win on this front, but I’d prefer to stick with Android.

Is Pixel2 really the best option at 3 years of updates, or are there (cheaper) alternatives?

I’ve been considering the OnePlus 5T (but don’t like the reports around poor security) and the Moto G5 Plus at the lower range, but I’d happily pay for something that gives me longevity and doesn’t mean I’ll be switching again in a year or so.

cp

5t is the answer. See the op thread from yesterday.

What’s the security issue?!!

Jolsa

What’s the security issue?!!

Referenced in the Telegraph OnePlus 5T review, this chap has been uncovering a few issues.

Is it a big deal? I don’t know, but a fair bit of noise is being made about it which makes me think twice.

That aside, how long will the 5T get OS/security updates for?

ta11pau1

As you’ve come from a Nexus 4 I presume you like vanilla android, in which case the only answer is the 5T.

My 3T has just got the Oreo update. The security issue isn’t really a big issue (have a read up, it allows root access without unlocking the bootloader, but it needs physical USB access to the device) and it’ll be patched very soon.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nexus4 is a old phone! 2012 google suggests!

Just buy a moto g5? they are 129 quid right now, then by the g6 when it comes out if you feel the must.

tbh unless you’ve got a specific reason to buy a powerful phone, ie, games or want a better camera or some, i’ve no clue why people spend so much on the phones.

I’ll be living with my g4 for a few years yet. (There’s little difference spec wise between the g4 and g5 btw, g4 actually better in some respects.)

Would be susrprised if the g4 got android 8, it gets 7 though, g5 came with 7 i think, so I reckon might get 8 eventually.

tbh, what ever you do, I’d sit and figure out what you need a phone to do, then find a phone to suit your needs.

Jolsa

in which case the only answer is the 5T

Or the Pixel 2? Granted it’s another £125, but how do future OS/security updates stack up? Any idea if the OP5T gets updates for the next 3 years?

Jolsa

nexus4 is a old phone! 2012 google suggests!

Just buy a moto g5? they are 129 quid right now, then by the g6 when it comes out if you feel the must.

2012 sounds about right! And it’s been superb ever since.

The aim is to minimise device buying, so would rather pay a bit more for a phone that has a bit of longevity to it, rather than do something like buy a G5 then a G6.

seosamh77
    Free Member

fair do’s, just showing an option. 🙂

jekkyl
    seosamh77
    Free Member

would melt my brain to go back to a 4in phone, 5.5 for ever more! 😆

jekkyl

yeah but for the money, it’s very decent. Cheapest new iphone. Plus it’s just the right size. for some. You must have massive hands!! lol

seosamh77
    Free Member

You are

and i claim my £5! 😆

ta11pau1

Or the Pixel 2? Granted it’s another £125, but how do future OS/security updates stack up? Any idea if the OP5T gets updates for the next 3 years?

It’s not £125 more though is it? The base model 64GB Pixel 2 is £180 more than the 64GB 5T, and that gets you an older style display. 128GB version is £230 more, and if you want a 128GB version with a 5T style display you’ll need the Pixel 2 XL, which is £900. Nine Hundred **** pounds!!!!!! 😯 😐

Software updates should be good, they’re still updating the OP2 which came out in July 2015.

iffoverload
    Free Member

using a moto g5 + dual sim, 128GB SD for vids and movies unlocked and running Viper OS, all the security patches, no bloatware. great performance and battery life.

XDA website for details etc.

dont thnk I’d need to upgrade it for any reason…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The problem with android is that manufacturers sometimes make low cost phones for a budget where as Apple control their manufacturer and spec decent ram etc so they run nicely.

If you were to spend a similar wedge of cash on an android handset that Apple want for one of theirs, you’d get an amazing phone.

Having used some cheapo android handsets in the past,and suffered laggy apps etc, I ended up then only buying decent handsets, moved away from Apple as I needed / wanted a dual sim too.

I’ve bought decent end to high end Sony mainly and I’ve been more than happy,

Jolsa

It’s not £125 more though is it?

I was simply looking at the OnePlus 5T which is £450, and the cheapest Pixel 2 which can be had for £579 (Currys).

So ok, you’re right it’s marginally more than £125, and this doesn’t take in to account attempts to match the exact spec.

Caher

Still got a g3 here, only now it is slowing up, so might look at the next g#. Like as been said really cannot see the need for spending too much on a phone. iPad for films etc and a camera for pictures.

stumpy01

My previous phone (Sony Xperia T) lasted 4 years. I think it had one update (to Kitkat) in that time.
    Biggest problem was battery life towards the end of it’s days.

So long as you buy a decent specced phone running the latest version of Android, there’s no reason that it won’t be fine for several years.

Jolsa

Thanks for the replies all, good to hear positive things said about the phones I had narrowed it down to.

But, still struggling to find the answer to my main question which is around length of security and OS updates.

Whilst the phones may be getting updates right now and everything’s great, I’m interested in any Android challengers to Google’s promise of 3 years of updates.

Is it guaranteed that if I buy a Moto G5 Plus or a OnePlus 5T today, I’ll be be receiving OS/security updates in 3 years time? If so, huge thanks to the person who can provide the link! 🙂

bob_summers

My Oneplus X never got Orio, nor is likely to. That said, if I still have the OP5 in three years I’ll likely stick a rom from XDA on it, if the factory is neglecting it.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position. I had a Nexus 5, which I loved. 1 month rolling contract on 3 for 12gb data. My other half, a die hard Apple fan, tried it and was so impressed she bought a Nexus 5x.
    Unfortunately, my 5 does art the start of last year. I used a Moto G3 for about 6 months and it was ok, but slowed down significantly and space management was a nightmare. Bought a 4g, and the same thing is happening

I love the raw android feel so can’t bring myself to buy a Samsung. 5t is tempting, but I’m not sure about the support and very short life cycles.
    LG g6 is sub 400 at the mo, which is appealing, but specs aren’t the best, same can be said for the Nokia 8.

So I’m currently very tempted to take advantage of Black Friday nonsense and go back to a longer contract. Mobiles.co.uk (who appear to be CPW?) Are doing a Pixel 2 for£75 upfront, and 29 a month with unlimited calls and 12gb data, which effectively means that the phone would cost me £315 over the two years (in addition to what I’m currently paying)
    Google phones seem to hold value reasonably well, plus Google have committed to ongoing support until at least 2020. It’s very tempting.

Kryton57

using a moto g5 + dual sim, 128GB SD for vids and movies unlocked and running Viper OS, all the security patches, no bloatware. great performance and battery life.

I was and have been right with you until the battery life bit. Mine’s suddenly dropped off (6 month old phone), and I can’t for the life of me work out why even by drilling in the info / removing background apps etc.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mobiles.co.uk (who appear to be CPW?)

yes they are – been going for a long while now.

chvck
    Free Member

Xiaomi have released a phone on the Android One programme, meaning it’s stock and guaranteed updates. I think that it’s called the A1 or something like that. They also have various other handsets at good prices but they’ll all be running MIUI. I think that you’d probably also have to buy it from Spain (or Asia). They’re not a hugely well known brand here but are massive in India/China and seem to be slowly moving into the West.

Kryton57

Well, Moto have a Black Friday deal £199 for a G5s.

I might buy that myself, anyone want a cheap 2nd hand G5? 😀

unovolo
    Free Member

I was going to recommend what ‘ChVck’ above just suggested, the Xiaomi MiA1.

Its part of the Android One system of phones which means stock Android with no skin(unlike Samsung, Sony, etc) the only deviation from the above is the camera app which is Xiaomi’s own as it has a twin lens rear camera.

64Gb and 4G of ram for about £175 is not to be sniffed at, and Xiaomi are one of the largest phone manufacturers in the world just not widely known in europe(yet).

The daughters getting a Xiaomi Note 4X for xmas.

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_757529.html?wid=4

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

O2 are selling Moto G5 for £89.

Jolsa

Interesting – thanks for mentioning the Xiaomi Mi A1, I hadn’t come across that.

I see it doesn’t have NFC unfortunately, but the Android One badge and (from what I’ve read) promise of Android P when it comes makes it a viable option.

Regarding custom ROMs, I’d forgotten about those. Had one running on a cheap phone many years ago.

I’m assuming these incorporate the security updates then (e.g. recent fix for Blueborne)? Could I squeeze a bit more life (in security terms) out of my Nexus 4 by putting the Nitrogen OS build on it?

The main thing for me is prolonging the device’s useful working life, so if Nitrogen OS solves the security fixes I’ve missed, then I may give that a go.

Then it might be a Xiaomi Mi A1 or Pixel 2 if there’s a good deal and (with custom ROMs doing a job) hopefully that phone will do me for another 5 years!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘A new phone to last’ is closed to new replies.