Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A new low??… What peg board….
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

For too long I’ve struggled with a small toolbox cluttered with all manner of detritus in additional to tools. I’d like to add peg board to the man-cave to hold all the regularly used tools. Having done a limited amount of research, I quite like the Sealey board/hook/accessory system….. but I suspect I could be looking at North of £200 all-in to do what I want, which seems a little steep for an idle pipedream.

Are there any cheaper systems out there of similar flexibility and range of accessories, but without the price-tag or workshop quality toughness? Trying to avoid DIY-ing something if poss…. Moon-on-a-stick? 😉

Ta in advance.

DezB
    Free Member

What about those magnetic ones?
    I’ll get a few of them once I’ve got my garage sorted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161107901969?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

trail_rat
    Free Member

youll get a much more useful tool board out of DIYing.

the most ergonomic boards ive worked with have been in shops where the board has been DIY’d

the sealey pegboard isnt expensive though – how big are you planning on making it ? we had a whole shops tools on an 8ft by 8ft section of wall

machine mart do a nice workbench with pegboard upright that could be good.

all i used was some of the magnetic strips – i just have a set of Tbars and a set of screw drivers on the wall though – everything else lives in the rollcab

nedrapier

Sheet of thick plywood and some nails? and a hammer.

Or am I missing some subtlety?

dabble
    Free Member

Get a bigger toolbox, or another toolbox to shift half your crap into. Cheaper than a peg board. But if i was going to have one I’d DIY the **** out of it.

scotroutes

I can only assume that DIY is out of the question for the OP because he can’t find all his tools….

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I think know if I DIY’ed it, I’d lay it out, think it was perfect…. and then want to change it again a few weeks later. My tool collection seems to evolve fairly rapidly, benefiting from a Father with a Snap-On and Beta tool account, and an eye for a ‘bargain’ (I didn’t need a second vice, or a bench grinder, but they appeared last weekend… 😉 ) Having the option to unclip and move the hangers appeals.

Wall space is little limited – could probably usefully panel 4′ x 3′ and hopefully a little less than that. It’s also got to fit around the existing shelving and the bench itself, which is bespoke from 2″ SHS to fit in the (bloody awkward) space.

Point taken about the mag-strips though – that could be the best option for the everyday stuff, combined with a a small cabinet for the rest, as you suggest.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i need a new bench grinder 😉

when i bought mine – i only saw me sharpening drill bits/axes with it ….

its woefully underpowered for grinding the faces of drive members down as i found out last night 🙁

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Ger-off – I’ve got a feeling a metal polishing wheel may be ‘needed’ for it….. for all those things that, er, absolutely need polishing to a mirror shine….. hmmm…

Food for thought all – thanks as ever!

rockhopperbike

Prefer a multi drawer toolbox myself- tried a peg board, but got fed up of the tools covered in sawdust etc after work- also can drag the cab’ round after me- so have mounted a vice on the top of it- quite useful

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes what you need is a bigger tool box 😀

willard

I forwent the peg board and just put up a 2400×1200 sheet of 8mm ply on the wall. That, coupled with a bag of 40mm panel pins, allowed me to hang just about all my tools, including the ring spanners, out.

And have spare space.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A new low??… What peg board….’ is closed to new replies.