Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A new low for me….A what rubber thread
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Situation is as follows:
    Lived in Northumberland. Never bothered that much about tires as was nearly always wet. Pick something knobbly and replace when bald worked for me.

Now in the sunshine and riding bone dry trails, think baked earth with some small gravel and loose sand in the worn parts. Not sure if just lacking the skill set for this riding or different rubber required. So far have tried:

Maxxis Advantage…. Dont like the way they seem to squirm about on the baked earth and suddenly find grip

WTB Enduroraptor ….. Lethal in the small gravel

Schwalbe Fat Albert….. Heavy, slow

Schwalbe CX…. strange but seemed very good but was just mincing along with the kids so not a real test.

Panaracer Fire XC pro #Cough# seemed the bet bet so far but as they get slated on here I assume there must a decent reason for this.

Suggestions most welcome as I do not want to just take a random stab.

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where did you end up??

Swapped to Maxxis Ardent after Minion/HRII types. Only had a couple of rides but quite positive.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Hi Mikewsmith. Ended up in Melbourne. Off to look at Ardent..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Would suggest My Mountain on Lygon or Specialized dealer in Brunswick if you heading for a shop. My Mountain seemed good for a chat and a browse and some advice.

Over in Launceston by the way

uphillcursing
    Free Member

They are a bit far North for me. Located down on the Peninsula but have a shop I can go and fondle stuff.

Correct me if I am wildly wrong but I think I need something with quite an “open” tread to allow the small knobs, needed for the hardpack, to bite through the loose gravel and sand.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not entirely worked it out yet….

the minions/hrII’s were fine down but dragging more than the benefit of grip. Round here the ardent looks like the top end it goes racier with less tread after that. Not really seen any mud tyres out here yet.

tinsy
    Free Member

Dry you say, gravel you say, intermitent sand you say..

Try a Kenda SB8 I say.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Tinsy, SB8 had crossed my mind for the rear as had a Maxxis Larson.

Suggestions readily sought especially for the front.

wwaswas

go on ride with some locals, see what they use, buy the same stuff.

There must be an LBS that organises weekly rides or something?

wiltsrider
    Free Member

I tried the Conti X-King (front) and Race King (rear)and was well impressed with the grip provided both front and rear – they should be fine in the conditions you are describing… sounds lovely out there!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Most of the locals I have seen are all on very race orientated bikes and Ralphs seem to be the rubber of choice. I guess I ought to get down to the local shop and ask questions and fondle some treads etc.

traildog
    Free Member

I’d suggest a Maxxis Larsen

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d need to come and ride your local trails in order to recommend something authoritively, so would you mind paying for me to fly out with my bike.

A three-week stay should make it worthwhile, otherwise the flight’s a bit of a chore.

🙂

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Good idea Chakaping. I hope you don’t mind business class?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I would give a shout for the Maxxis Crossmark. I’ve been riding them this season for the first time on my race bike and have been really impressed with them. They roll as well as the Schwalbe tyres and are much more sure footed in corners. They are also much more resilient over rocks. I have the UST version and not one puncture the whole season, even after two weeks riding in the Italian and Austrian Alps.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Heads up for bike Buller we are doing the premium event. Mire UK style trails. Over for 2 weeks in march if you fancy some riding

PaulD
    Free Member

Look at Schwalbe Furious Freds for excellent dry weather use on smoothish trails. I have them on a HT that I thrash round Swinley and Tunnel Hill…excellent in the dry, scary/exciting/nervous in the wet.

PaulD

asterix
    Free Member

whats wrong with Wensledale Panaracer Fire XC pros? Cant find any -ve comments by searching the forum.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A new low for me….A what rubber thread’ is closed to new replies.