Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • A new 140-150mm trail bike – does it have to be 650b/27.5?
  • vetboy

I have a much loved and pristine 08 turner spot but I’m succumbing to the new bike itch as well as being sick of trying to find a good looking & reliable dropper post so started thinking a new frame would fit the bill and could transfer most of my current kit over. But everything is coming out in the new in betweener wheel size. I was considering a new turner (direct from David Turner via email he has stated they have no plans to make any more 5 spot frames so will have to be 2nd hand or the new burner) transition bandit, Yeti 575/sb66, intense tracer or similar. I’m open to suggestions on any of the above has anyone got them in 26 or can persuade me its worth spending a lot more to go 27.5? I enjoy technical tracks and downhill and a good day out is the peaks, afan, north downs etc so some climbing ability is needed and not an out and out gravity sledge. Must confess without any sound reason to back it up I wouldn’t want to go 29er.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Buying frame only or complete bike? Still plenty of options if buying a frame only but it’s getting increasingly difficult to buy a complete bike in 26″ wheels.

Thought about the Cotic Rocket?

vetboy

The kit on the turner has been steadily replaced so was thinking ideally frame only and buy post, f/mech, seat post as required but a full bike at the right price new or used could be an option esp if go 27.5 as would need frame/forks/wheels so buying all seperate probably won’t be much cheaper and could sell the stuff off a new bike I swapped off. Ive arranged a demo on a turner burner but couldn’t get it before 10th october so suppressing the urge to buy something before then!

A 5 spot or TR bandit frame in 26 would all have to be 2nd hand now I believe as neither importer has any left?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

I think 650b is worth it if you’re buying a full bike, but if you have a full compliment of 26″ kit, there’s very little advantage in the switch. I stayed 26 for that reason.

Steve77
    Free Member

In theory you should be able to get a bargain 26″ frame, either new or used, as people move to 650b. In practice I’m not really seeing that

honourablegeorge

Or a banshee spitfire – then you’re 650 compatible when you choose to make the switch

patriotpro
    Free Member

Knolly…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

you only need 650b if you want it to be heavier and more expensive.

vetboy

steve77

I agree and think us brits must be skeptical about the new wheel size as to quote dave turner 26 bikes are dead and the burner was back ordered for 10m when launched, maybe the americans are keener to believe the hype?!

jairaj

I got my Bandit 26 frame in April glad I didn’t wait longer. I’m in a similar potion to the OP have a good set of forks, wheels and components already so really didn’t fancy getting a whole new bike. Glad I got in before the big switch over.

kiwijohn

Yeti are holding out

ChrisI

Expecting my SB66c on Monday. No 650b for me 😛

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There are some great bikes in all three wheel sizes in this category. These bikes are really jack of all trades bikes, so competent at just about everything. I guess you need to decide which slant you want – a bike with an XC slant or a DH slant. Mines a 29er and its great for pedalling and climbing despite being on the weighty side, and is perfectly adequate for the DH/jumps and drops I do, so I feel i’ve got the best of all worlds for me. But I wouldn’t buy on wheel size alone, read up about the bikes, try to take some for a ride to see if they feel comfy and fit well and go for what you like. You can’t really go wrong.

catvet
    Free Member

I think Yeti are going 650 with the 575 and the SB as options, see Eurobike edits

jambalaya
    Free Member

Simple answer is no.

You can run at Covert at 150 – I do and I haven’t died – any of those left at the importer ?

chiefgrooveguru

Cotic Rocket on order: 150mm and slack and stiff for the gnarr, 26 for the twisties and air!

nodrog2
    Free Member

Glad you decided to join the Rocketman gang Chief, you won’t be disappointed, a truely awesome bike to ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I picked up one of the last Blur LTc’s over here as a 26″ bike 2 months ago, SC are still doing the TR as 26″ Rocky Mountain are still there with the Slayer but that might be 160mm and a bit burlier.

There are frames out there just need to look beyond the big guys really.

crush83
    Free Member

patriotpro
    Knolly…

+1 there is a warden coming this way in the new year!

JCL
    Free Member

New Trance by miles.

pinetree
    Free Member

Catvet- Yeti are keeping the SB66, and they have launched a new sb75.

There are still plenty of options for 26″!

roverpig

In theory you should be able to get a bargain 26″ frame, either new or used, as people move to 650b. In practice I’m not really seeing that

I was quite happy with £600 off a 26″ Orange Five Frame 🙂

catvet
    Free Member

Pine tree
    My post said 650 for 576 and an option of an SB in 650 as well !

Sancho
    Free Member

Bandit and covert are available 26″

chrismac

Similar dilemma for me too. Im thinking sb66 or ibis mojo and reuse all the existing components

goyawave
    Free Member

+1 for same dilemma here. I am after a nicolai helius ac.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I bought a new tracer 2 from not so long ago.
    Not bothered with all this 650b nonsense.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Yeti are holding out

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Yeti-SB75-and-575-Eurobike-2013.html

+1 there is a warden coming this way in the new year!

This you mean…Nice innit 😉

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/First-Look-Knolly-Warden-Eurobike-2013.html

rickon
    Free Member

I have a 2011 Turner 5 spot, and my missus has a 2011 Turner Sultan. I’m hoping that the Burner blends the best of both, rather than the worst of both, as the Burner is top on my list for my next bike.

The 5 spot is just such a well designed and engineered bike, its bags of fun, so efficient, and simple to service. Even if the tolerances do mean it clicks at times, grrrrr.

therag
    Free Member

2013 mondrakers are on sale atm

kiwijohn

Sure Yeti are bringing out some 650’s, but they haven’t dumped the 66 altogether. In fact, they’re upgrading it.

Northwind

Don’t think I’d buy a new 26 inch bike today, tbh- not that I’m convinced about the merits of 650b, I think it’s a load of horseflops but since my old bikes always have to fund my new bikes, I’d not want to risk the possible loss of value if it goes the way it’s going.

At the same time, I’d not buy a new 650b bike either, because I have so much 26 inch kit, and because some of the stuff I’d want just doesn’t exist for 650b- hardly any dualplies, no proper trailbike mud tyres, in fact none of my favourite tyres come in 650b.

So in conclusion- old bikes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Northwind that’s where I was with the exception of selling to fund new. I run them till nobody would buy it. If I was going to go 650 it would have been a bronson alu but planning to keep the Blur for long enough and the deal sold the idea to me. In 3 years 26 could be on the way back and leave me with a bike to sell 🙂

Northwind

To be fair that’s the other reason I’m not buying a new bike, my old one is worth about 50p 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just to add some balance, if you’re considering a different wheel size for a bike in this category then don’t discount the humble 29er. I’ve got a 29er Covert and I think it is great. Alot of the negative stuff you hear about 29er is myth and legend – i’ve not noticed any of the so called downsides to them. On the upside, the thing climbs like a train despite its 33lb weight (probably a bit lighter now, but not much), is really and noticeably stable and easy to manoeuvre on slow technical trails (blows the myth about them being less manoeuvrable out of the water), the wheels roll through deep thick mud much better than a 26″ for sure, and does maintain momentum, especially over bumpy trails with rocks upto a few to 6 inches high – it just flows effortlessly over that stuff. When stuff gets really knarly then that is when more suspension travel starts to come into its own, hence why they’ve not made an impact into DH/gravity sports, but most recreational riders wont be hitting severe rock gardens, certainly not with much speed. It just does everything so competently and flatters me as a rider – but then a decent 26er or 650B bike would.

I’ve also managed to convince one of the guys in my riding group who was a staunch 26er guy and he’s now taken advantage of the sales and got a Norco Shinobi 29er – he got a grand off. It took him a bit of adjusting, but now he loves it and recognises all the benefits i’ve mentioned above.

I must admit the only reason I got a 29er was that I was coming back into mountain biking after a 20yr lay off so had no other bike. I didn’t really look into the whole wheel size thing and just got a 29er cause I thought bigger wheels seem like a good idea. I certainly don’t regret it and I haven’t spontaneously combusted yet. What’s the worst that can happen?

br
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a new 29er, but since hardly anything from my current 26er would fit the cheapest way would be a new bike – so I’ve just bought a new fork instead as a way of starving off the ‘need’.

A pal bought a 27.5 Cube, he loves it – big AM thing, and as he’s a big lad (6’4″ and well-built) it’s well-proportioned.

But, I’ve a stack of 26″ wheels, a couple of forks plus numerous frames and my 3 kids have 26er’s – and it feels daft to just throw it all away and/or sell for nothing, as I only buy quality gear.

maurizio
    Free Member

Very true! I’m lucky enough to be looking at a complete new bike – but custom – so i’d ideally like to switch over some parts to begin with in order to keep the initial cost down (see if i can ‘live’ without those dream parts 😆 ) – so my proposition to people like you b r is why not buy a 650B frame and run it with your 26″ parts for the moment? It looks like thats what i’m going to do, not because i think “oh 26″ is dead 🙄 ” but because it should be the frame itself that dictates the choice (it’s angles, features, material and how that equivocates on how it rides)

I_Ache
    Free Member

If I were in the market for a new frame it would absolutely be for use with 26″ wheels as that is what I have and that is what my forks are.

First I would take a look at 26″ specific frames then I would give a few 650b frames a go. However I would be trying the tweeners with my 26″ wheels, everybody says that there is barely any difference so I would benefit the extra mud clearance and slightly lower BB. As a bonus I would never be worried about fitting silly large DH tyres. Whats to loose?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘A new 140-150mm trail bike – does it have to be 650b/27.5?’ is closed to new replies.