Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • A never ending desire to sleep forever.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I have this. A constant search for oblivion, despite all the good stuff in my life (I’m mostly happy, own several bikes, am married, have a kid etc.)

Still though. When I wake up in the morning, I just want to sleep forever.

Just me?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Are you Hamlet, Prince of Denmark ?

jekkyl

I think it’s an age thing. I’m 41 and really look forward to going to bed and going striaght to sleep. I dunno about sleeping forever though, that seems to imply you’d rather not be alive?!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t want to get up, if that’s what you mean.

But I’ve never claimed to be a morning person.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I never want to get out of bed, it has always taken a big effort on my part, and I generally fall asleep in any given circumstances, trains, planes and automobiles. Including most recently on an Austrian chairlift.

kayak23

If you mean another ten minutes snooze, then…sometimes.
    If you mean total oblivion as in death…sometimes.

GrahamS

I know the feeling. Not getting enough sleep perhaps? Or enough sun?

Back in the day I’d regularly be up till 2 in the morning during the week.

These days we regularly fall into bed shortly after we get the kids down (e.g. half 9ish)

mrsfry
    Free Member

I look forward to naps. I’m beyond disappointed each time I wake 🙁

user-removed
    Free Member

Not just me then. Ta. Off to take the dog for a walk. Might lie down under a hedge for a nap.

GrahamS

Including most recently on an Austrian chairlift.

LOL. How many orbits did you do before they woke you up?

the-muffin-man

At 47 I sometimes feel like I’ve been on this planet a very long time. A lot of dirty water has passed under the bridge over the years.

Life is quite good at the minute though.

(I presume the OP isn’t referring to having a nice lie-in on a Sunday morning).

perchypanther
    Free Member

I look forward to naps. I’m beyond disappointed each time I wake

…as are we all. 😉

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I struggle to get up some mornings. This morning, as I woke, I was greeted by a 1 year old with a nappy leaking on the bed and a smell that defied all description. That was pretty much all the motivation I needed.

GrahamS

I look forward to naps. I’m beyond disappointed each time I wake

But your passengers aren’t.

neilwheel
    Free Member

It might be that you are getting poor quality sleep.

There’s a few different things, like apnoea which obstructs the airways, so this results in lack of oxygen and mental stress while asleep.

finbar
    Free Member

As soon as I wake up on a weekend I want to leap out of bed and get on with all the exciting things life has to offer. Drives my girlfriend mental 😉 .

On a weekday morning? Oblivion please.

bigjim

I have had this in the past and I suspect it’s linked to depression.

I usually have a never ending desire to sleep forever because I have insomnia though, and wake up feeling rubbish after 5 broken hours sleep.

dday

I once fell asleep at the dentist.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

It may be linked to depression in some cases, but not my experience. I can remember from school time to this day being in admiration of people who can “just wake up” or who are always awake at 6.30am. That time of day for me is seemingly impossible. I have always struggled to get to bed before 11.30pm so I do think the two are correlated.

globalti
    Free Member

As I get older I find I can get by for a day or two on overseas business trips on remarkably little sleep; as long as I can get a few catnaps during the day on flights etc. I’m fine. I also wake up nowadays between 4 and 6 am and as I can’t lie in bed, I have to get up. The quiet times in early mornings are the best part of the day; I can go out and wazz on the lawn and fettle my bike in the warm kitchen.

user-removed
    Free Member

Don’t think it’s linked to depression but can understand why it might be for some folk. Perhaps it really is just about being a lazy beggar?

RustySpanner

Have to say, for much of this winter, I really, genuinely, couldn’t be bothered if I ever woke up again or not.

I’m sure I’ll cheer up when the sun comes back.

zilog6128

Have to say, for much of this winter, I really, genuinely, couldn’t be bothered if I ever woke up again or not.

I bought one of those SAD lamps a few months back & it’s helped massively. I used to (for years) regularly go to bed around 1-2AM (would just lie in bed awake if I tried to go to sleep earlier) and then wake up feeling shattered.

Within a week of using the lamp I was going to bed between 10 or 11PM and going to sleep straight away, usually unbroken sleep (before I would often wake up in the middle of the night) then waking (naturally) between 6.30-6.45AM. Apparently waking naturally is better than being woken by an alarm. (I do have an alarm set for 7 just in case but normally I’m awake/up before it goes off!). This has also removed the need/desire for naps in the evening or at weekends.

I also find a good diet & regular activity/exercise helps energy levels (and therefore sleep) massively!

GrahamS

I’m sure I’ll cheer up when the sun comes back.

As I’ve said before, Vitamin D supplements.

No sun = no vitamin D = less energy.

GrahamS

Which SAD lamp did you get zilog? Linky?

bruneep

I’m always glad when I wake up. Means I didn’t die in my sleep.

Maybe I did and is this what death is?

😐

andyrm
    Free Member

Assuming this is a fatigue/slow start kind of thing rather than suicidal type thought processes, its all about discipline in the first minute of waking up. Get up immediately, downstairs as fast as possible, kettle on, mega strong coffee as quick as humanly possible. Only then should you look at phone/email/TV etc. I’ve always been good at this regardless of tiredness etc and genuinely believe its just about immediate and fast paced action.

ton

I like to take power naps. just had a sneaky 10 minutes at work.

I don’t want to sleep forever, I want to live forever.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Always happy to wake up 😀

Never happy to go to work 🙁

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve always been good at this regardless of tiredness etc and genuinely believe its just about immediate and fast paced action.

Good grief I’m tired just thinking about this.

GrahamS

I don’t want to sleep forever, I want to live forever.

You are Bon Jovi and I claim my five pounds.

zilog6128

Which SAD lamp did you get zilog? Linky?

The one (SAD Solutions BLUElight) shown in an advert at the top of this page https://www.sad.co.uk/en-UK/ although it doesn’t seem to be available on the website at the moment. It’s their own-brand product and whilst I suspect they may be something similar to the On One of the SAD lamp world, at £99 it was a fair bit cheaper than something from a “name brand” like Phillips or Lumie. Worked for me though, which was the important thing!

its all about discipline in the first minute of waking up. Get up immediately, downstairs as fast as possible

Would agree with this (except the coffee part!) Especially if you’ve woken up naturally – that’s your body saying “time to get up!” I always feel worse if I lie in bed snoozing/dozing rather than getting up straight away.

racefaceec90

i have suffered with this problem for a long time (i suffer with depression and insomnia also). i can sleep for over 12 hours when i do sleep and have occasionally slept for over 20 hours at a time.

i just don’t want to wake up,and when i do am tired.

scandal42
    Free Member

I hate napping, can’t do it.

Also can’t stay in bed on a Saturday as I’m too excited to get up and have coffee, listen to five live and read the paper, how sad am I?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not a morning person. Takes me ages to get going. Others in the house (4 year old son ITS MORNING TIME DADDY! no, it’s really not. It’s 6.30 and I have 15 mins before my alarm goes off you sleep robbing panchod.

Yet when I’m on days off and CAN lie in…. BANG I’m awake and there’s no going back to sleep. Tad annoying.

slowoldman

I definitely need a solid 8 hours every night. Any less and after a few days I’m on my knees. I don’t like napping as I wake up feeling rubbish.

mrsfry
    Free Member

perchypanther Is my snuggle buddy. He doesn’t mind when I wake up with dried dribble on my face.
    He says it highlights my natural beauty 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve left it too late for a nap now. 3 o’clock meeting then the kids will be home from school.

The current pattern is:

Day 1: Feel OK after a decent nights kip
    Day 2: Woken at 05:30 by sprog, power through
    Day 3: I don’t want to get up at 05:30, spend day in haze
    Day 4: WHY CAN’T I GET TO SLEEP WHEN I’M KNACKERED
    Day 5: Haze all day. Put sprog to bed at 7pm, wake up at some point in his room on the sofa/floor.

I’m on day 5 right now

perchypanther
    Free Member

perchypanther Is my snuggle buddy. He doesn’t mind when I wake up with dried dribble on my face.
    He says it highlights my natural beauty

Allow me to make a slight correction to this, if I may :

perchypanther finds that above statement to be a touch creepy and harbours a nagging suspicion that mrsfry is an actual dude….. but no less amusing for it. 😉

In the spirit of friendship, here is an image of a slightly drooling but bemused and suspicious panther…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Drink Moar Booze. That’ll get you off to sleep.

Acktchwally, don’t.

I have occasional bouts of waking at 3am’ish. I used to get really worried about this, so I’d watch TV or iPad it, fall asleep at about 0600 then wake bright and wide awake at 0730.. bit odd, but this would happen quite frequently throughout the year.. with no real pattern. Some months I’d sleep well right through and then I’d have about 3-4 weeks of this intermittent sleep pattern.
    Doc said “are you stressed” well of course, works always a bit stressful, so he’d just say stop drinking, more exercise and worry less.
    I then resorted to Nytol, and been pretty happy over the last few years with this addition to my sleeping regime.

So now if I’m still awake by 10pm’ish I’ll have one tablet then right off to sleep. Wake at 0630 when the light comes through, take about 1/2hr to fully awake and then coffee and off to work..

I’ve never wanted to stay in bed any longer than for sleeping, I kinda think it’s all a waste of time just lolling around. Rather be out working or on my bike or sailing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘A never ending desire to sleep forever.’ is closed to new replies.