Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • A national unity government
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s the only possible message you can take from this election.

Well that and tata to the Maybot.

If these 2 things don’t happen, we’re getting had. It’s no one party’s right to do this on their own.

oldnpastit

The Conservatives have chosen to split the country down the middle. Whether you think that was good or bad, it will be a while before “national unity” is anything other than a hollow empty phrase.

The first sign that the country is coming back together will be the ejection of Theresa May and her cohort of calamitous cockroaches from the political process. After that perhaps.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well we are blessed to be awash with talent across all the parties so thankfully that part is easy and luckily they seem to share so much in common The only small problem I see is the lack of a majority but yes it could work i suppose
    I assume you mean one excluding the Tories if you mean the Tories sharing power evenly with everyone I can only hope the time means you have just git back in from the pub 😛

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m a wee bit stoned, but point stands! 😆

Opposition politics is killing the uk, time to suspend it for a while and come to a consensus, issue by issue.

2 democratic votes, 2 very close results. The public has sent a clear message.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Conservatives’ dalliance with hard-right politics has backfired massively.

It remains to be seen whether MPs will learn from the bruising campaign or will turn on their leader. It’s clear that leaving the EU is beyond the capability of one single party, though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If it could be done without party politics it would be great. It might be nice if some people here accepted that a huge chunk of the population wanted a Tory government. What a shame that so many of the lefties show an unpleasant side by refusing to accept that. It really does smack of places like China where other peoples views are condemned.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is 318 vs 262 close ?

Just asking 😉 obviously a lot closer than I was hoping for

PM Tories are very far from hard right and didn’t screw up this election over immigration or Brexit

cloudnine
    Free Member

52 / 48 is close

mattsccm
    Free Member

Unity would be so great but if we can’t unite at ground level, what are the chances at government level?

deadkenny
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member 
    Is 318 vs 262 close ?

cloudnine – Member 
    52 / 48 is close

One is a general election involving more than two parties, and to form a government it has come down to 318 + 10 vs 262 + 35 + 12 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 7, which is close, but it’s FPTP really so there’s no ‘vs’. Just whoever can get over the magic figure first.

The other is a binary question, and yes is very close.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I thought the vote was about 43/40 which is pretty similar to 52/48 and both are pretty close.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Is 318 vs 262 close ?

No but 42.4% to 40.0% when assessed as a percentage of the vote is pretty close.

That translates as 275 vs 260 seats proportionally. A much closer result.

Another argument for proportional representation. I know ukip would end up with more represention but so would the greens etc.

kimbers

too many egos to form a unity government (on both sides)

the tories internal dispute over europe has spilled over and contaminated the rest of the country, cant see how its going to settle down until we properly address the issues of our ageing population and unequal wealth distribution (in/out of the EU was always an irrelevance)

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Is 318 vs 262 close ?

close enough. and as mentioned 40 v 42, and 48 v 52 are.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Another point is that it doesn’t even need any tory leadership support, 20 tory rebels could force it. So it’s not something completely beyond the bounds of reality. It’s just a wee bit ooot there! 😆 Must be 20 reasonable tory’s out there disgusted with the DUP.

kerley
    Free Member

t might be nice if some people here accepted that a huge chunk of the population wanted a Tory government.

You don’t think that goes both ways? When did the right wingers on here accept that a huge chunk of the population want a Labour government?

Unity sounds great but when you have such polar opposite views that will never happen. I never have and never will accept the tory view point based on greed, selfishness and lack of any empathy.
    More chance of splitting the country in 2, down the middle of London so it is fair and the Left live on the left and the right live on the right (to make it easy for the tories to remember where they live)

Greybeard
    Free Member

It might be nice if some people here accepted that a huge chunk of the population wanted a Tory government.

I do accept that, although I can’t understand why they did. On the other hand, if the Tory Government had accepted that 48% didn’t want to leave the EU, and initiated a sensible debate in Parliament instead of pretending it was a ‘very clear’ expression of the will of the people, we wouldn’t have the divided country we have now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not just that they and their apologists insist it was a vote on immigration, a vote to leave all the EU and a vote for hard Brexit. None of which is true.
    Leaves website is still up there – even after purging most of their lies- and their policy is clearly for a free trade agreement with the Eu and that is what they urged folk to vote for not “no deal is better than a bad deal” or WTO

I am not sure at what point the weak Brexit vote got changed into an overwhelming vote for a hard Brexit but it is the same brazen lies they used to win the vote.

The reality is there is and never was a mandate for hard Brexit and I would be amazed if they could win that vote if it were held today so its debatable if there is even a mandate for it

HughStew

I normally avoid political threads on this forum

It might be nice if some people here accepted that a huge chunk of the population wanted a Tory government.

The fact that this generally doesn’t happen here is the reason, but I’m glad to see a fairly civilised debate here.

The ability to see other people’s point of view is a defining characteristic of being a reasonable human being. My father-in-law is a Tory and always has been, he’s not a heartless, swivel-eyed loon, and can engage in civilised debate with me even though we disagree, there’s no vitriolic condemnation of each others views. If you want to change someone’s mind personal attacks and heaping odium on your interlocutor is not the way to do it.

I don’t think he’s going to stop voting Tory anytime soon but he’s no longer terrified of sharia law taking over the country or Corbyn making him live in a collective.

43% of voters chose Tory, are they all selfish me-me-me bigots, of course not. Some are, but some Labour / Lib Dem / Green /… supports are total nobs too.

I’m still steering clear of STW political threads tho’.

stumpyjon

First the conservatives aren’t hard right in the same way that Labour isn’t hard left. In both parties the more extreme elements are being very vocal at the moment making things seem quite polarised. I would bet a significant proportion of MPs could find a lot of common ground. The main difference is the Labour leftists actually had some policies (unworkable) the right was just empty rhetoric and arrogance.

The Tories mucked up the election because May is an arrogant, vacuous, small minded egotist with nothing to offer and they electorate really didn’t like what they saw in the last few weeks of the campaign. Make no mistake if the Tories had half competent leader and Cornyn hadn’t got his act together this would have been a Tory landslide. May switched off the small number of floating voters in the middle with her gross arrogance, this is not swing to the left.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Unity.

Strength through Unity.

A term symbolised by the Fasces, which is where the word Fascism derives.

mrmo
    Free Member

Labour leftists actually had some policies (unworkable)

Really, compare the Labour manifesto to Scandivia, then tell me that they really are that far left.

Cougar

If it could be done without party politics it would be great.

The elephant in the room though is that party politics is the only reason we’re doing it in the first place.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Strength through Unity.

Works for ants termites , bees

deadkenny
    Free Member

mickmcd – Member 
    Works for ants termites , bees

Totalitarian societies, subservient to the queen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘A national unity government’ is closed to new replies.