Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 229 total)
  • A magazine more STW than STW itself
  • jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Haha ‘method living’ was my trying to explain how I find it helps you to achieve something if you put your mind in that headspace. With mountain biking or motorbikes or cars or whatever, I’ve always thrown myself totally at something, and ‘living it’ helps me to achieve whatever it is.

There will definitely be some content about nice jeans that you don’t wash yes, but lots more besides.

And thanks for the pledge – I hope your jinx has worn off!

clubber
    Free Member

Alright, I’ll put it another way as I don’t think I’m phrasing myself well (which is probably why I’ll never try to start a mag 🙂 ).

Is it going to be a mag that reviews £200 jeans and discusses not washing them but comes across as looking down at those that ‘don’t get it’. That’s the bit that I reckon a lot of people would have issue with. As I said, it all seems a bit silly to me but then bikes are too so I have no fundamental problem with that so long as there’s self-awareness to go with it. If there is then a look into other people’s interests no matter how silly can actually be interesting.

Basically, if I found your jeans and washed them while you weren’t looking, would you be jumping off a bridge after hacking me to pieces (with an axe presumably) or just be mildly hacked off? 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, I now feel a creeping sense of guilt. I did, however, come up with ‘Beardy McAxerson’ so I figure we’re about equal now. Anyhow, good luck with the mag, despite it being something I’m not at all likely to buy in to.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Honestly, if I was not washing my jeans and you stole them and washed them for me then I’d be pretty furious yes!

But at the same time I can completely understand why that sort of obsession seems crazy to some people so I’d never look down on someone who didn’t get it.

Pretty much everything that I’ve ever been into loads of people haven’t got. From bikes and F1 to jeans and beards. Makes the world go round that sort of thing. I love peoples’ niche obsessions.

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Beardy McAxerson is great, I think I’m going to put it on a t-shirt (I might sell Beta Male ‘Beardy McAxerson’ t-shirts in a kind of huge twist of irony!).

Cockmonkey though, I wasn’t so chuffed with that. It was a little uncalled for. Well, a lot uncalled for.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m sure that you’ll get called worse than that over the years if you’re running a business 🙂

Makes the world go round that sort of thing. I love peoples’ niche obsessions.

Actually, I agree, it can be hugely interesting. Might even stretch to giving you some backing to see if you can manage it…

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Well that would be awfully kind, thank you 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I love peoples’ niche obsessions.

I bet you do, you filthy little (big?) man.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

The thing is, I take the piss, as do a lot of people on here. As somebody already said, it’s banter. If my cockmonkey comment upset you, then I’m sorry. Still can’t get my head round method living though, but as I’m sure you realise, I’m not part of your target demographic. I no longer have a beard, I don’t own an axe, and I wash my jeans (just boring levis I’m afraid) whenever they get mucky. With regard to you being interested in buying a sportster, I’d try one first. They’re a bit small and skinny, and if you really want a Harley, big twins is where it’s at baby!

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

I think I want a small skinny bike first to be honest, big and heavy gives me the fear right now. Really not very big as a human.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

You’d be fine with one of the bigger Harleys as all the weight’s low down. I loved my sportster when I first got it, as I’d wanted a Harley for years, but I quickly got fed up with the fact that it was so skinny and always felt a bit too cramped. Also got bored with the ‘it’s a girl’s bike’ comments from other Harley owners. I think the streetbob is not a lot more expensive than the sportster iron, and to be honest, you’d be getting a lot more bang for your buck.

noteeth
    Free Member

I can’t claim to be interested in beards, axes or jeans (2nd hand older-type Levis 758s for me, every time)… but I’d like to take this opportunity to say that I always used to mis-read your surname, and I simply assumed that you were related to the great Sally Hibberd. 😀

my all-time favourite cycling website

@Clover – that site is a thing of beauty, ta for linking.

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Yeah she’s my mum. I changed the spelling so people wouldn’t always go ‘oh Sally is your mum’.

noteeth
    Free Member

Yeah she’s my mum

Every day is a school MBUK day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh Sally is your mum

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Ha she’s not really! People used to think that anyway mind.

noteeth
    Free Member

Paul Smith is your dad though, right?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ha she’s not really! People used to think that anyway mind.

I preferred you when you insulted us and looked like you might flounce 😛

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Smiff isn’t old enough to be my dad! He is possibly my truest friend in all the world though. An amazingly cool, clever man.

I’ll come back and flounce tomorrow.

noteeth
    Free Member

An amazingly cool, clever man.

No words needed. 😉

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Sam

Although I can’t grow any sort of beard I do have a few axes, plus some to grind… Mag looks interesting, will back the project when I get a few more bikes out the door. Good luck to you doing something you believe in.

Sam – Singular Cycles

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Thank you Sam!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mods, now that this is linked from the front page, any chance you could amend my OP link to Jamie’s kickstarter page instead of the blog?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Post reported 😛

Dickyboy

Is it too late for me to give up on STW for Lent?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks Junky.

Not the first time you’ve done that to me, I’m sure! 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

Whoa

A 12 year old me at Bike 97 asked for this guy’s autograph. I don’t know how I feel about that now. Anyway, all the best with the project.

PS only silly people wash jeans more than twice a year. They just don’t need it and washing ruins how they feel.

jamiehibbard
    Free Member

Ah Bike 97, those were the days! And thank you.

miketually
    Free Member

This thread inspired me to buy a new pair of jeans. But they were £8 on eBay, rather than £200. That is twice what I paid for my current pair though, so I’m going up in the world.

I’ve pledged some of what I saved to the Kickstarter. I haven’t done that since I preordered a years worth of some new upstart MTB magazine before they’d even written it.

footflaps

But they were £8 on eBay

Washed or unwashed?

miketually
    Free Member

Washed or unwashed?

New with tags 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

The advert said “BNWF(ags)” 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Steady on guys, stopping the insults was a good thing but stopping short of iDave and Br*nt type hero worship would also be a good thing. FWIW Mike Davis was the one who could write at MBUK. 😉

martinhutch

How are you going to stop Robert Crampton suing your ass? 🙂

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/profile/Robert-Crampton

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve read 6 pages of this now. Can I walk into WHSmiths tomorrow and buy this magazine???!

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve read 6 pages of this now. Can I walk into WHSmiths tomorrow and buy this magazine???!

I’ve read no pages, but find myself strangely drawn by the content of Jamies and beards.

razorrazoo

I’m in and hoping the mag gets it’s funding and got a pair of Hiut jeans on my birthday list, looking forward to seeing the results.

Jamie
    Free Member

razorrazoo

Hmm. Doesn’t sound very beard friendly.

Edukator
    Free Member

*hangs head in despair* (the jeans not the mag)

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘A magazine more STW than STW itself’ is closed to new replies.