Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A little guidance required on my CV
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Looking at getting back to work after spending the last 3 years looking after kids (had twins so gave up work to look after them), i am a bit stumped as what to put for this time period, last time i had to do this many years ago i was always told to never put anything like house husband/caring for children as it looked negative. Is that still the case or have we moved on from that?

Coyote
    Free Member

I would sincerely hope that we have moved on! To be honest if a potential employer were to be influenced by that then I would not want to work for them. Put it down and be proud of it!

perchypanther
    Free Member

You have two clear choices.

Tell the truth or lie.

I know which one of those two CVs would go in the bin

blader1611
    Free Member

Would you simply put the dates down and put house husband or is there some fancy way i should be explaining it like “food deliverer and provider of fresh laundered clothes plus entertainment of the highest order for the seeds of my nut sack”.

scaled
    Free Member

How desperate are you to get back into work, and what industry are you going back in to?

I work in IT so if i had a CV come across my desk where the latest ‘update’ were anything other than relevant work or keeping up with tech/training then it would probably go in the bin.

I’d probably look at doing some quick online courses, again, in IT parlance tap out a quick couple of update courses. If I had experience with Server 2008, i’d probably just do the server 2012 exam for example. Studying would probably only take a couple of weeks and £90 for the exam etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honesty is the best policy there, it’s going to come up in any interview. Just be positive about the reasons and why you are coming back to work

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d probably avoid the use of the term house husband if i’m honest.

It sounds a bit old fashioned.

I’d go for “Daddy Day Care – I wasn’t in jail or anything, honest”

P-Jay
    Free Member

Go with the truth, some places like scaled’s place might discount you straight away, but then, maybe you wouldn’t want to work there.

I had to explain 9 months away once, I told employers I was badly injured (which I was) and had a redundancy pay-out so “took my time” which I did. A few places seemed to think this was a poor reflection on my good character or some nonsense, but it only took me 2 weeks to find a job, they offered it to me before I could leave the car park.

I should add that I was applying for a role that was £15k-£20k less than I was making before and they were getting me on the cheap, but I think you’ll have to expect that with a 3 year gap, they know you’ll be a bit rusty.

blader1611
    Free Member

Scaled – i used to work in IT but not sure i want to go back to it but in the meantime i am looking at taking some exams to back up what i used to do as i learnt on the job.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Domestic engineer. Seems the done thing to tag engineer on the end of everything.

Or lifestyle project management.

thepurist

“Career break to raise children” should do – maybe add something to explain why that was your decision rather than the more conventional solution. Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if that was on a CV

pablojm
    Free Member

Tell the truth.

I have recruited for high paying IT and finance roles for a good few years.

It’s very hard to get the best people. They already have a good job and when they want to move they usually don’t have to go to the market. Contacts will just get them a new Job.

Therefore often the way I can hire the best is finding people who are moving jobs due to some other reason. E.g moving country, moving with spouse, returning from a career break etc. So if I see that you’ve been looking after kids for the last few years I would definitely not throw the CV in the bin, I’ll judge you on the rest of the CV.

blader1611
    Free Member

Pablojm – thanks for that, its kinda what i wanted to hear. I was concerned that my cv would be just dismissed out of hand for the “missing years” of work.

I am more than happy to explain exactly what i have been doing its just trying to get my foot in the door. I like the idea of career break raising children so i think i might go for that and see what happens.

rickmeister

Dec 2015 – Dec 2017
    Career break, managing personal projects and young family committments. During this time, proactively maintaining contacts in the industry combined with self study to keep abreast of emerging trends, technologies and developments. Due to a positive change in personal circumstances currently seeking a new role and further career development.

For instance…

NZCol

^ I get these and frankly i find people who have had career breaks are more enthusiastic and engaged, massive generalisation but based on my recent experience.

blader1611
    Free Member

Rickmeister – than you very much indeed, really appreciated as that is more eloquently put than my efforts.

Coyote
    Free Member

Perfectly put Rickmeister! Honest, articulate and to the point.

@scaled. You are missing a lot of good prospects if that’s your approach.

benp1

Tell the truth. The point of the CV is to get you an interview. No point starting an interview with a lie

If I was reading your CV, I’d want to know that 3 years out the game hadn’t impacted your credibility, capability or confidence. No reason why it should have but if your statement demonstrates that, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t get an interview

Twodogs

During this time, proactively maintaining contacts in the industry combined with self study to keep abreast of emerging trends, technologies and developments.

If you put this, make sure you have a good answer ready for when they ask you to give an example of doing this (I’d ask cos it looks phony)

Coyote
    Free Member

Check out “Udemy” or EDX for cheap / free online training.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A little guidance required on my CV’ is closed to new replies.