Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • A light for my lid – put me out of my dither
  • IHN

After an experiment with an older light (an old C&B Seen 1000lumen thing), which proved to be okay but not great, and the batteries have deteriorated cos of age, I decided that I’d like new lights.

On an unrelated theme, after an experiment with a big towelling thing that has proved to be pretty good but not brilliant, outdoor-swimming MrsIHN has decided that she’d like a DryRobe. So, an agreement was reached that we’d each get our wish as our Christmas pressies.

For budgetary purposes, we have about £170 each.

So, I’ve bought myself one of these, for the bars so that’s £130 gone. I’m dithering with regard to a) should I try and do something about a helmet light, b) if so, should I just get a new battery pack from MTBBatteries and use the C&BSeen thing on my bonce and/or c) should I instead find some kind of bargain torch to stick on my lid instead (something like this)

Help me STW, you’re my only hope.

verses

I’ve no experience of it, but I’ve been eyeing up the Fluxon too. The specs sound good.

Yak

Ignoring your budget, proposed options and household present equality, I suggest a Four4th Scorch.

Your new bar light looks like a monster. A piddly helmet light won’t give you much when you look round the corners by comparison, so get something good.

hannahjayy
    Free Member

I recently purchase this to use as a helmet light for commuting, helmet mount is included and it is impressively bright for the price.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPXSMH2W/planet-x-super-mini-2-way-200-lumen-bike-helmet-light are great for the money for commuting, yet to try mine off tarmac in the dark.

FOG

I actually went into JEJames to buy the Canopus but was discouraged by the size of the battery. I know it’s meant to go under the top tube but it’s a big’un. I opted for a black Friday Monteer from olights which has a 4 cell battery

chakaping
    Free Member

Over your budget, but I’m about to sell an Exposure Diablo mk9 (1500 lumens) with all the trimmings, in case you’re tempted.

IHN

Moon Meteor is very tempting

in case you’re tempted.

That would depend on how much over my budget.

I’ve been eyeing up the Fluxon too. The specs sound good.

Yeah, too good, if you get my drift.

vmgscot

Those Dryrobe things costs £170???

nwgiles

dryrobe have a black friday sale

davros
    IHN

Those Dryrobe things costs £170???

Yup. Which it’s why it’s gone into ‘expensive, not essential, so christmas present’ territory

dryrobe have a black friday sale

No they don’t, they give their staff the day off instead.

IHN

Under budget.

Over budget by £20 (well, £25, cos it seems the DryRobes were £165 not £170…)

I went for the Pro from CRC in the end. Cheers all.

tall_martin

Exposure diablo.

Out last night and it was as great as it has been for the last few years.

jeffl

I’ve got a scorch, great light and 20% off for black Friday. However that moon light looks like a bargain, 1,700 lumens and a 2 hour run time.

nwgiles

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-light-for-my-lid-put-me-out-of-my-dither/#post-12127708

apologies I was thinking Northcore , red make some nice changing robes

PhilO
    Free Member
    joebristol

Did you buy something yet for your helmet? I was going to suggest a Moon Vortex Pro with the 1300 lumen output. Seems to be here for £44.99:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/lights/moon-vortex-pro-front-light__487473?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=LAAMY2006&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1pethd229AIVBrDtCh2leArIEAQYASABEgJngvD_BwE

IHN

I did, I bought that very thing, but from CRC for a fiver less 🙂

tonyg2003

I was out tonight with my mate. I was using a Diablo and he had a Scorch head torch. Not much in it. The Scorch is pretty easy to change batteries which might appeal for longer rides?

pampmyride
    Free Member

My head light/torch is a Sofirn IF25A. About £30 on aliexpress or £48 on Amazon. Worth getting a spare battery, to swap at half time… – 21700 battery used. I’m using an Exposure helmet mount & it’s a good fit. Can charge via usb wire into the light or separate battery charger – but check they take the chunky 21700 battery.

ElShalimo

Slight hijack:.  What’s the best helmet light for riding in the city, the ones with red/rear and white/front flashy lights?

hopefiendboy

I recently got an exposure Joystick mk15 for about 120 quid. super happy with it.

joebristol

Slight hijack:. What’s the best helmet light for riding in the city, the ones with red/rear and white/front flashy lights?

I’ve got one of these for additional commmuting light:

https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-aerolite-front-rear-rechargeable-helmet-light-85845.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=23777&gbraid=0AAAAADANKJkIRhOvukT0rQBT5hmoGJYtX&source=PHG

doomanic

DHB do a dryrobe type thing. I’ve got one and it’s pretty good. Huuuuge though; I’m a fat lad and the medium is plenty.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-hydron-robe

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If my budget was 170 quid, I wouldn’t bother with a bar light tbh.

didnthurt

That planet X helmet light looks good. Not sure I’d want a mount with a steel bolt through it though. I’d be worried of repeating what happened to Schumacher, however unlikely that may be.

ElShalimo

@joebristol – thanks

Whydot

Blackburn Dayblazer? The 1500 was on Merlin for the £60ish mark.

It’s what I use and it’s more than good enough for nightriding at pace.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I just posted this in the BF deals thread but Four4th are doing a 20% off deal using code BF20 so the Scorch can be had for £108.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘A light for my lid – put me out of my dither’ is closed to new replies.