Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • A hybrid sort of bike for someone who cant decide?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I’m looking to help a colleague make a decision about getting a new bike. The criteria are as such:

He wants a bike to ride on the road for weekend blasts, and a few fitness rides.
    He wants something a bit lighter and ‘better’ than his Specialized coessroads biffer of a machine.
    He wants to get something that he could use with two sets of wheels, to swap out from road to off-road.
    He wants to ride light off-road with his son (who has an MTB) on the South Downs.

Ive suggested a lightweight 27.5 or 29er rigid, or maybe hardtail, with two sets of Hope wheels, shod with different rims and tyres for quick swaps of wheels for intended use. The 27.5 frame would accomodate the road wheels easily, and of course take the off-road wheels.

The bike should have geometry that means it will handle OK off-road, but definitely be more suited to road riding.
    A CX bike might do, but he wants disc brakes that work and has experienced some rubbish cable discs, so would want to avoid these. He also would prefer MTB bars, and not drops to make the off-road riding more doable.

He wants to spend between £700 and 1k.
    He’s happy to go secondhand with my advice/help, or new from an end-of-year sale.

Now, I have a On-One lurcher, which does most of this, but wondered what were the other missing options?

Ta.

busta
    Free Member

Cotic Roadrat was my choice for a similar scenario (with touring thrown in there too).
    Panet X do a flat bar version of the London Road.
    Pinnacle Lithium

lardman
    Free Member

@busta..

thanks for that. The Cotic Roadrat looks interesting actually. Not thought of that one.
    No builds on the site that would suit however. I could do the build myself, but might sway the choice.

Planet-x London road looks more street machine than off-road capable, but that might n ot be the case. Frame only deals are ok, to help with build from scratch.,

Many thanks for the tips.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘A hybrid sort of bike for someone who cant decide?’ is closed to new replies.