Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • A guy at work commuted 18 miles on a BMX today, and intends to every day…
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

I didn’t think he’d manage it once. Anyone else done this, and can you keep it up ? Took him 1hr 20, standing all the way !

lucien

Pics, Strava segment?

kayak23

A friend of a friend (Sadly passed away now) did a LEJOG on a bmx…and none of your seat up nonsense either… 😯

RESPECT!

RIP Eddie

tonyd

Holy cow that’s a good effort! My commute is 17.5 miles each way and I do it on a fast road bike. I’m not particularly fit/fast and it takes me an hour each way give or take a few minutes (depending on wind!).

Generally if I do that 3 times a week I feel a bit tired, but as the weather is improving I’ll knock it up to 4 times, that’s plenty. I wouldn’t fancy doing that on a BMX!

Fair play to Eddie and LEJOG also!

Edit: Was that 18 miles each way or round trip? So 1hr 20 to do 9 or 18 miles?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bet he looked pretty knacked though

fingerbike
    Free Member

25/9 gear ratio and no brakes? 8)

colp

I didn’t think he’d manage it once. Anyone else done this, and can you keep it up ? Took him 1hr 20, standing all the way !

Surely he had his right knee bent in over the top tube most of the time in proper BMX style?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Rode home from the Nairn national years ago on our bmx’s. About 18 miles to the house from the track.

The guy I rode/raced with.. we’d have moments like this quite often. They sort of go like this:

Me ‘oh, we’ve missed the train back home’
    Him ‘We’ll we could just ride home’
    Me ‘ Right’
    Him ‘Right’
    Me ‘RIGHT!’
    Him ‘ RIGHTTT!’
    Me ‘RIGHHHHHT!!’

Both of us quoting Chris Moeller ‘letsss doo itttt!’

I think we both cramped out in the thighs as we approached home. It’s about 18 mile. I also remember we used to do road rides on bmx. Once we were about 14 miles from home and one of us punctured so we stopped off at a house getting built in the hills south of Loch Ness to ask the joiner for a shot of his adjustable. We made a tandem out of both bmx bikes and took turns at the front for the ride home. Hard going! twisted dropouts galore too.

hora
    Free Member

Shit. How did he pass away? 🙁

That is some serious core strength.

samuri
    Free Member

Respect the OP guy. I *once* commuted that far each way on a MTB jump bike and it fair near killed me.

And massive respect to Eddie

monkeychild
    Free Member

Kayak, that is an amazing feat!!! A shame he is no longer with us as that’s a story I would read! Some sheer mental focus, toughness and stupidity involved there. I like it!!!
    And to the OP, high 5 your work mate from me please.

martinxyz
    Free Member

How far did they ride?

stucol
    Free Member

Did Pedal for Scotland a few years back with two pals.

50 Miles, Glasgow-Edinburgh. Me on my sensible road bike, them on bmx’s.

They were gubbed at the end but got a huge cheer at the finish.

ski
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member

A friend of a friend (Sadly passed away now) did a LEJOG on a bmx…and none of your seat up nonsense either…

RESPECT!

Top respect, that is some distance to do on a BMX.

Respect goes out to his family too btw, sad post to read.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve seen a girl on a race BMX commuting through London, fast – seen her just down the road from me and close to where I finish so that’s at least 7 miles.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I used to do it at uni, about 5 miles and it was a nightmare, haven’t ridden bmx since.

chilled76
    Free Member

A mate of mine who I used to ride/race DH with (Adam Wiles) if any of you have done much DH in the past few years might know him? Anyway, he rode his BMX from Nottingham to skegness last year with a bunch of singlespeed riders. Said it was the only single speed bike he owned so took that in the spirit of riding 1 gear. 70 f’ing miles! Took about 8 hours mind, but still an amazing feat.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Edit: Was that 18 miles each way or round trip? So 1hr 20 to do 9 or 18 miles?

18 each way. He’s a good medium distance runner, bought the bike (a Social Evolve) on the Cycle to Work scheme pretty much on a whim.

Also, he came south to north this morning (Watford to Luton). Big tail wind I suspect. Can’t wait for tomorrow morning.

chiefgrooveguru

Hardcore! I commute every day on my BMX but it is not far at all and still not easy.

Drac

I use to ride up to my Uncle’s or my Gran’s during schools hols and then ride back on m BMX in a day, was a 42 round trip to Gran’s.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Once we were about 14 miles from home and one of us punctured so we stopped off at a house getting built in the hills south of Loch Ness to ask the joiner for a shot of his adjustable. We made a tandem out of both bmx bikes and took turns at the front for the ride home. Hard going! twisted dropouts galore too.

Love it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

One of the guys at Llandegla used to commute in by Bmx…from Wrexham train station.Which is 11 miles,pretty much all uphill.Then he saw sense and got a fixie…..like me.

giantx4
    Free Member

RAD…

matty456
    Free Member

Bmx is so rad man ! I’m hopefully getting a new one this year to get back into it. Still got my old one from 28years ago!

flap_jack
    Free Member

Well, he did it again in thursday, not looking quite so chipper. Drove today (friday), but determined to restart next week. And, so he claims, do all 5 days…

jemima
    Free Member

Martinxyz, is there still a track in Nairn do you know?

allthepies
    Free Member

BMX Eddie must have been hard as nails.

RIP.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘A guy at work commuted 18 miles on a BMX today, and intends to every day…’ is closed to new replies.