Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A good neighbour story…
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So, at the weekend, I’m looking out my bedroom window and see two girls outside obviously trying to figure out how to jump start one of their cars which had a flat battery. I can see they’re struggling as they’ve got the driver’s manual out just to figure out how to open the bonnet on one of them 😯

I agonise for a minute because I don’t want to patronise them by swooping out and doing the “Now girls…you don’t want to go playing around under car bonnets…” thing but mrs deadly gives me the go-ahead so off I go out with my thick-enough-to-jump-start-a-tractor jump leads. The girls are obviously relieved to see a man is taking control of the situation. I find the bonnet release for the car with the good battery (in the passenger footwell where it always is isn’t it?) open up the bonnet (I didn’t laugh and I said that it was too well disguised to see it easily), connect the jump leads, go through the start-up procedure, get the car with the flat battery going, make sure to tell her not to stall the car and let it tick over for a wee while before driving, disconnect the jump leads, accept the thanks and off I go with the minimum of fuss. 8)

Yesterday, I hear the post coming through the door, think “that’s a little bit late for the postie”, go down to find whatever brown envelope is going to make my day but, no, get this, it’s a “Thank You” card for the “jump leads man at number 63”. Awww, made my day! See, some people are just nice.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

do you get too shag em?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i watched at least 10 people walk past 2 ladies trying to work out how to open the bonnet of their monstrous Mercedes 4×4 at a service station the other day, i was the only person to stop and help and was surprised at how shocked they were someone actually helped! of course it was pointless in the end as their washers were already full, just frozen and one woman then preceded to throw washer fluid over the windscreen, with the passenger window open.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nope, they weren’t that nice mate, and mrs deadly would have been too suspicious if I’d disappeared in the door of the neighbours and re-appeared a short while later looking rather too pleased with myself.

Mind you…one of them…well, you would…

Gary_M
    Free Member

in the passenger footwell where it always is isn’t it? Not always. Anyway why would she stall the car if it was idling?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mercedes 4×4

Well, what did you expect?

hora
    Free Member

Time for Shock an Awe?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyway why would she stall the car if it was idling

Of for **** sake, there’s always one isn’t there…I explained to her to be careful not to stall the car when she drove off as there may not have been enough charge in the battery to re-start it.

This is supposed to be a cheery good neighbours story, not about the technicalities!!! 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Time for Shock an Awe?

Go on then you fecker, what do you mean?

twohats
    Free Member

2 ladies at a service station once asked me to assist them find the washer bottle in the already open bonnet of their Alfa Romeo hire car.
    5 mins searching and there wasn’t a single clue or symbol as where to put the water, even the owners manual gave no clue! Bloody Italian cars!!!

Smee
    Free Member

He is meaning its time to use the stun grenades.

hora
    Free Member

My only regret (I still think about it)- I was coming back to Manchester from Rivington- in the fast lane at a fair speed and as I passed I noticed a woman holding a baby stood behind the hardshoulder barrier with broken down car of course. Theres no way I could have slammed on and moved into the slow lane and the nearest exit was a spagetti-junction mess (basically a fair few miles and the return back onto the same stretch another 10 or so miles). Motorway was busy otherwise I would have committed a Banzai move 🙁
    He is meaning its time to use the stun grenades.
    Or you could have come out naked with a small cushion covering your privates, stood infront of the car and slowly humped the cushion whilst winking

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

and got arrested for you pleasure, the road wombles would have had a right go at you

caledonia
    Free Member

I did my good deed last year when a Horsey woman had tried 3 times, and several approaches to reverse her Landy and horsebox back into the air line at the garage in Inverness.
    Once I’d filled up I sasheyed over and offered my help, to which she was very grateful/relieved/embarrased.
    1 attempt and a minor tweak and the thing was in.

Whilst paying for my fuel several other customers and the garage owner thanked me for the intervention.
    Apparently she had actually driven out of the forecourt and back in twice previously.

Strutted back to my car.
    Alpha male stylee !!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Strutted back to my car.

I like your style dude

Or you could have come out naked with a small cushion covering your privates, stood infront of the car and slowly humped the cushion whilst winking

I’ll keep that in mind for the next time. I’m assuming you’ve found this approach has worked in the past??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve done it too. Changed a flat tyre for a lady in her 50s/60s in a car park. She was waiting for her son to come but he was going to be hours and she said she’d already been waiting nearly an hour already. In a busy car park. Nobody offerd to help, except me.
    I felt really embarrased when she tried to pay me, and she kept insisting, so I suggested she put the money in the next charity box she saw and that went down rather well.

I’ve also been on the recieveing end of kindness like this (VERY long story!) and it leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.
    There are some really nice people out there…..
    😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yeah i’ve been on the receiving end as well, came off my road bike and was pulling myself together/inspecting damage on the roadside when a car stopped to see if i was alright, made me feel vaguely better about the world

cbike
    Free Member

I saw some chums in car park once, with their notoriously unreliable van, we scooted over and put on the beacons for comedy effect – they didn’t need any help but another 2 drivers appeared and said they did!! Jump starts all round!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A good neighbour story…’ is closed to new replies.