Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • A generalised catch-all rant against the BBC…
  • senorj

10/10 for the concise summary toppers.

martinhutch

Needs more mole rats, really. Any chance of pichers?

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m assuming the op is annoyed because they dropped showing an episode of Mrs Browns boys. Dunno.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have a small amount of sympathy with the OP. It struck me that the Beeb were caught out by the timing of the news last night and the first 30-50mins suffered from the problem that afflicts all 24hours news – the desperate need to say something and fill time. They got it back together again after the hour with better coverage.

Old Huw was either emotional, having too much said jnto his ear or just in a bit of a panic – but he was not his normal self IMO. But it was a ramble for most of the time.

Far better to have a summary in the news, a pause (to refletc?) and return to well researched tributes in time. But that doesn’t fit in with the obsession to keep talking. Must have been a bit if a panic in the newsroom at about 9:45 or whenever the news went live.

back2basics
    Free Member

jeez just wait till His or Her Majesty dies, we’ll not be seeing Paul O Grady for months!

edlong
    Free Member

Why does every programme have to tell you what’s coming up later in the programme and then have to recap what happened earlier before showing it to you.

Multi-channel telly and short attention spans – they assume, rightly, that a fair few viewers will have flicked over part way through, hence the re-caps, and also that a fair few will be tempted to go elsewhere, hence the “coming up next” to try to keep them watching.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And it fills time…

Don’t get me started on those intrusive Coming Next flags…

binners

Can I raise a pertinent question at this point? What on earth were you watching the beeb for? Its Wednesday night FFS. And we all know what that means. Steph and Dom are on 4….

Sort it out!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

BBC1 – Nelson Mandela
    BBC2 – Nelson Mandela
    ThreeEEEEEEEeeee – Nelson Mandela

What I think more interesting is when somebody young unexpectendly dies and they already have an obit. reel :S

ohnohesback
    Free Member
    toppers3933
    Free Member

Wasn’t it Thursday night?

wwaswas

you’re living in the past binners.

binners

I stand corrected. I get confused. Its not really the point though. This is….

toppers3933
    Free Member

They are brilliant.

lemonysam
    Free Member

BBC1 – Nelson Mandela
    BBC2 – Nelson Mandela
    ThreeEEEEEEEeeee – Nelson Mandela

*polite applause*

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Jerry Dammers looked like a fish out of water on BBC2

wwaswas

nothing’s new, is it;

In 1994, the BBC cut away from Antiques Roadshow to cover the release of Nelson Mandela. The BBC received 500 complaints.

binners

To be fair though, they were all from one demented woman who just kept phoning repeatedly, ranting on about bloody darkee terrorists!!!!

zokes
    Free Member

Careful now Binners, you’ll upset the tory boys…

binners

I’m sure they’re apoplectic already. What with the BBC being run by gay communists, and all that 😉

Earl
    Free Member

The other day on Breeakfast half way through the interview with Warren Gatland (newly crowned UK coach of the year and Kiwi National) they start asking him about the Ashes series…..

ninfan
    Free Member

Did they show how he managed to smuggle all that stuff into the prison? The cigarettes, rock hammer, Marilyn Monroe posters etc?

hels
    Free Member

All newspapers and TV channels have prepared Obits. It’s a full time job for somebody, or even a while team, to update them, on a risk-managed basis I would imagine.

As somebody above mentioned, this has been expected for a while, so they have been adding to the reel, possibly too much.

They no doubt spent a lot of time on Michael Jackson too.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

This is the last great man who will die in our time. Genuinely moving.
    I’d be upset if they interrupt 10% as much when the queen dies.
    He deserved it. If you don’t get why he was so important and how much he means to the world, and the model he set for a different way of resolving things, a better way of being a man, then naff off into the shadows of ignorance and complacency.

Agreed on the first part, but I don’t think questioning the need to stretch 20 minutes of actual content into an hour of ‘our correspondent in…’ waffle means you don’t get why he was so important. Showing some respect for the man and his achievements and feeling the need to fill airtime with any Mandela-related angle or footage from the archives are not the same thing.

binners

I hope they’re still going to give some coverage to the mountains of disastrous stuff various government departments are presently trying to rush out. I bet Iain Duncan Smiths underlings are having a busy day

zokes
    Free Member

I also happen to think the most sincere performance during Cameron’s speech was the cat’s photobomb

yunki
    Free Member

I also happen to think the most sincere performance during Cameron’s speech was the cat’s photobomb

from facebook

… and to add a little colour and controversy to todays events… When you see David Cameron on TV today giving his most intense impression of a member of humanity, remember that in 1985 he was a influential member of the Federation of Conservative Students, who produced the “Hang Mandela” posters. In 1989 he also worked in the Tory Policy Unit at Central office and went on an anti-sanction fact finding mission with a Pro-Apartheid Lobby Firm sponsored by P.W. Botha. All this whilst working for the woman who called Mandela “that grubby little terrorist”. Lest we forget.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/camerons-freebie-to-apartheid-south-africa-1674367.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130414024814AA27A6A

bokonon
    Free Member

To the OP – the 90’s called, they want their TV back.

ninfan
    Free Member

remember that in 1985 he was a influential member of the Federation of Conservative Students,

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/david-cameron-didnt-produce-hang-mandela-posters-during-the

All this whilst working for the woman who called Mandela “that grubby little terrorist”

There is no record of Thatcher ever referring to Mandela as a terrorist.

yunki
    Free Member

shut up you tart!

binners

There is no record of Thatcher ever referring to Mandela as a terrorist.

Best let Dave know that then. As he’s apoligised on her behalf. What a terrible social faux pas!

ninfan
    Free Member

Binners

com·pre·hen·sion (kmpr-hnshn)
    n.
    1. a. The act or fact of grasping the meaning, nature, or importance of; understanding.
    b. The knowledge that is acquired in this way.
    2. Capacity to include.
    3. Logic The sum of meanings and corresponding implications inherent in a term.

Read the article you linked to again, and tell me where it refers to Thatcher actually calling Mandela a terrorist

binners

Sorry. My apologies. Please forgive me for tarnishing her legendary reputation for championing the causes of the oppressed, and fearlessly combating injustice wherever she saw it around the world. Madam I salute you!

ninfan
    Free Member

Its alright Binners – putting Leftie lies to bed is almost a pleasure

Anyway, I heard that Ed Balls had announced that the closure of these garages was further proof of the Conservatives failed austerity policies!

ninfan
    Free Member

Oh, no sorry, that was Nissan Main Dealer…

kimbers

binners how dare you sully the good name of saint maggie, just because she stuck up for the apartheid regime and tried to block sanctions against them and called mandela and the ANC ‘typical terrorists’

ninfan
    Free Member

called mandela and the ANC ‘typical terrorists’

Nope, still wrong 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Classy folks, really classy.

FFS.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IN 1987 she referred to the ANC as a terrorist organisation.

Now whilst I would love to pin dance with you as you scribble across the forum I think we all know you are both talking bollocks* and wont stop.

The ANC is a typical terrorist organisation … Anyone who thinks it is going to run the government in South Africa is living in cloud-cuckoo land’ – Margaret Thatcher, 1987

Lots of refernces to that on the internet and it is also quoted as thus

In a press conference Thatcher was asked by Alan Merrydew of BCTV News what her response was “to a reported ANC statement that they will target British firms in South Africa?” She replied that: “when the ANC says that they will target British companies. This shows what a typical terrorist organisation it is. I fought terrorism all my life and if more people fought it, and we were all more successful, we should not have it and I hope that everyone in this hall will think it is right to go on fighting terrorism. They will if they believe in democracy.”

Personally think that makes it worse

* to be fair you like to argue a tenuous but plausible [ish] points as you are not stupid. However your moral compass constantly points to provocative asshat.

grum
    Free Member

As well as claiming they always loved Mandela and definitely didn’t support apartheid, next the Maggie fan-boys will be denying she cosied up to Pinochet and Pol Pot.

Classy folks, really classy.

FFS.

It’s perfectly reasonable to highlight the Tory’s legacy of behaviour towards the ANC and apartheid when DC is trying to make political capital out of Mandela’s death.

People talk about ‘showing respect’ to try and stifle uncomfortable truths or opinions they don’t agree with – just like when Maggie died.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘A generalised catch-all rant against the BBC…’ is closed to new replies.