• This topic has 38 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • A free cup of water. The saga continues!
  • sarawak
    Free Member

There I was this morning out on a routine ride, when I came across what was obviously a feeding station of some sort. Runners or cyclists? I couldn’t tell, but the lady in charge seemed to be expecting me, so being a polite person I stopped and had a natter. Played havoc with my Strava segment times. Seems there was a mammoth 50 mile sportive in progress and she was the 28 mile feeding station (I jest not). Masses of food and drink to keep the hipsters and millennials happy. Riders weren’t expected for another 45 mins so she was happy to chat away. Then completely out of the blue she offered me not a cupfull but a bottle full of water and not one but two pieces of flapjack. I didn’t ask for them or indicate that I was at death’s door, but she insited that I took them. No payment needed, no charitable donation and no request for my address to forward an invoice. A very kind gesture.

Of course this was Uup Nawth where the locals all have two heads, eat babies for breakfast and live in semi permanent winter conditions.

I have blotted my copybook and suspect that I will now be banned from all future sportives anywhere in the country. My crime? I took the bottle with me, and when I’d finished drinking the contents I carried the empty bottle home to put in the recycle bin. How on earth will those who want to ride the route, but are too tight to pay an entry fee, ever follow the course, without a stream of empty bottles to follow?

And I didn’t see a single Mountain Rescue vehicle anywhere!

Bez

8/10, a very passable multi-faceted ironic-o-rant.

Kryton57

How very selfish…

They’ll be a desparate red faced fat bloke on a Pinarello at the back asking “what do mean no flapjack?”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seems there was a mammoth 50 mile sportive in progress and she was the 28 mile feeding station (I jest not). Masses of food and drink to keep the hipsters and millennials happy.

So halfway? Sounds fair enough doesn’t it. Probably quite nice to get something like that. Is there a reason Hipsters and Millennials need a different amount of food though, kind of confused by that one really. It’s normally the old blokes who need to stop and eat cake every 10 mins isn’t it?

convert

Sportives have changed though haven’t they. We they first became a thing in this country at the turn of the millenium they were mostly ridden by experienced riders looking for something a bit different. Like a short luxury randonee with signs instead of the stupid long hand written instructions. Food stations tended to be at a distance two bottle and a back pocket of food might be expected to run out. So maybe at the 50-60 mile mark depending on the terrain. Now they are a bit more ‘inclusive’ with less experienced riders using them as a metaphoric hand rail to ride further than they have had the confidence to before. Hipsters and millennial is no doubt reference to those new to the sport in the last 15 years (I’d add ex golfists too) who are arguably a bit more needy than previous generations of cyclists.

Hope the flapjack was good n’ moist, not that dry nonsense that rehydrates inside you.

Drac

You’ve bot your first bite OP sadly it doesn’t count as it’s Mike.

angeldust
    Free Member

Yawn, not nearly as clever as you think you are :-).

Seems there was a mammoth 50 mile sportive in progress and she was the 28 mile feeding station (I jest not).

So, could be the short route option on any Sportive.  Ever done one, because that is really not unusual in the slightest?  Short option might typically be for beginners or younger riders.  Would be a bit mean to deny them a feed stop because you don’t think the distance is long enough.

If you are going to troll, at least try and make it entertaining? 🙂

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

So was this lady associated or not to the local mountain rescue, I see no answers only issues

theboatman
    Free Member

Also I believe the cup of water was reflected on and revised down to #justtwomouthfulsofwater

eddiebaby
    Free Member

:-).

Angeldust, your emoji worries me. Did you cut yourself shaving? Is it a spot on your chin? Too many questions.

geex
    Free Member

thank you sarawak it made me smile.

Well done reeling in a prize Mik… do remember to throw it back for the rest of us.

psling
    Free Member

My guess is that she just fancied you, what with you being a real man and all that. What did she sprinkle on your shoulder first – vinegar or salt? Or just gravy? That’s important, that is #realnortherner

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well done reeling in a prize Mik… do remember to throw it back for the rest of us.

I guess that is your sense of humour getting confused there… Did anyone see the OP as serious?

It is generally telling to see what groups different people like to bash though

Drac

Oh the Edingburgh defence

angeldust
    Free Member

Angeldust, your emoji worries me. Did you cut yourself shaving? Is it a spot on your chin? Too many questions.

It’s a mole.  How rude to point it out :-).

Another great feature of this fantastic forum

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not really, I’m not that interested in the feeding habits of hipsters. But as you keep saying your always seeing something completely different to the rest of us on this forum.

angeldust
    Free Member

Only joking?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

:-).:; too many beers, too old a blade.

angeldust
    Free Member

Is this a personal attack on my emoji mole?  Deserves a lifetime ban.

scotroutes

Bring back davidtaylforth

Bez

How many miles is it to a feeding station where I can pick up some popcorn?

Drac

Artisan popcorn I’d hope.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bring back davidtaylforth

The early stuff was good but once he sold out it all went downhill, all be it at the speed of light and very stylishly.

singletrackmind

The real question is ‘Was this the Joe Cocker challenge?’ Possibly the  easiest short distance , flat sportive in the country .

Was  there Quinoa also at the feed table ?, with some lightly  toasted  almonds?

rOcKeTdOg

rene59
    Free Member
    Drac

Free coffee is one of the few perks I get.

Poopscoop

Good thread.

A couple of little sniggers from me…. Just what I needed today too. 😃

mick_r

This public spirited refreshment assistance appears to be on the increase!

I was out on the mtb a few weeks ago on 3 peaks cx racer support. I was offered a free and unsolicited bottle refill at the Bruntscar feed station 🙂 (admittedly I did know the guy and last rider had been through).

And then later a free brew and cake (with optional payment donation) from the ladies of Horton in Ribblesdale. Right next to 10 members of the mountain rescue team (also having a brew).

And all this was in Yorkshire!

Drac

RD revolution.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If this was anywhere round the Cat & Fiddle you’re taking the mick out of a charity lead sportive, well done.

Merak

Do u even STW bro?

psling
    Free Member

Do u even STW bro?

STW?  Sip The Water? Slurp The Water? Steal The Water?

bukobuko
    Free Member

Thank god an e-bike bell-end didn’t turn up. Whew 😰

scaredypants

aye, electricity and water really don’t mix well

I had some flapjack and a cuppa yesterday and I hadn’t even left the house … OMG !!!1!  Guess maybe I should give something to that cat-fiddlers charity

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thank Mew –  Cat fiddlers Charity

colp

Thank god an e-bike bell-end didn’t turn up.

Sorry I’m late, what have I missed?

geex
    Free Member

Not a lot Colp.

Mik took the title early on as usual before any motors turned up.

sbob
    Free Member

Sorry I’m late, what have I missed?

That all the Northern Nancy’s drink mineral water whilst us Southerners enjoy a pint.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘A free cup of water. The saga continues!’ is closed to new replies.