Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • A few questions for iDiet'ers
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Ive been on a fairly strict keto diet since February now and its been going ok. Im on it to trim the last bits of fat – ive been a size small/32″ waist for ages (after losing about 10 stone – I was massive!) but still a fair bit of fat on me somehow. Since feb ive lost about 2 inches off my waist and my moobs are finally shrinking. However I’m getting really bored of the food I’m eating now, not enough variety and I miss certain veg. So I’ve been thinking that either now, or when I get back from holiday I may switxh to the iDave diet. Just have a few questions for anyone who’s on or been on it

– are most paleo foods/recipes allowed? Obviously those without paleo-friendly fruits.. any good resources for recipes and ideas? What do you do for easy lunches at work etc?

– is no dairy really necessary? I love cheese and cream and they’re probably a big part of why I like the keto diet so much! I dont have milk anyway due to the sugars but these two feature heavily in my current diet! Afaics theyre low carb so shouldn’t be too much of a problem on this diet?

– any suggestions for sweeteners that don’t use maltodextrin? Not a fan of just using cinnamon to sweeten things.

The keto has been working well for me so I’m tempted to just stick with it, but food (mainly work lunches) is getting so dull! And steaks are too expensive to eat all the time.

jasperb
    Free Member

Are you familiar with Mark Sisson’s primal blueprint website?

_tom_
    Free Member

No but I’ll check it out 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jasperb
    Free Member

He posts a lot of recipes there.

Home

zilog6128

10 stone. Good work dude, that is impressive.

re. sweeteners. You could try a stevia based product (personally I can’t stand the taste/texture) although I prefer something my local health food shop does called Xylobrit (it contains xylitol which is a natural, sugar free sweetener) which tastes/feels very much like normal sugar.

wallop

Congratulations – that is a really awesome achievement.

sadexpunk

congratulations on your loss 😀

as for food/diets, i find it best to find something you can stick with long term, as youre finding out, food can get dull if youre just eating it for the sake of it.
    may not be for you, but personally i prefer using a version of intermittent fasting and lost 2 stone to get down to 10-12% body fat. now im ‘reverse dieting’ and slowly going up again, weight training as i go, the idea being that now ive lost my ‘muffin tops’ whatever i gain will hopefully be lean mass.
    theres different ways to do it, but i find it easiest to basically ‘miss my breakfast’. i consume all my calories in an 8hr window, usually say half 12 til half 8, just coffees or water in the other 16hrs. my dinners usually pretty light, and then i look forward to ‘pigging out’ for tea.
    i log my calories with ‘myfitnesspal.com’ and tailor them to whatever im trying to do. i lost the weight on 2000 cals per day.

as i say it may not be for you, its not a wonderdiet or anything, just a convenient way (for me) of limiting my calories and still enjoying my food. i find it easy to be hungry outside my eating window, others may not like that.

and as i said at the start, this is something i can do for ever, its easy. if i go on holiday i forget about it, pig out, put a few lbs on then back to business back home. same with nights out.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I never had problems losing weight before just cutting portions/calories and exercising more – was easy to stick to that lifestyle. Just want to shift the last stubborn bits hence why I’m on the keto, but its starting to drag a bit. I said I’d keep it up to I go on holiday at the end of June so I will, but will want to change to something more interesting/sustainable long term after that I reckon.

Dunno about fasting, it seems effective but I don’t reckon I can stick to it. On my days off work I dont always have breakfast other than coffee with some cream in it, but on work days I always seem to get hungry much quicker. Guess its a combination of being bored and getting up a couple of hours earlier!

scaled
    Free Member

Definitely consider fasting, if you’re used to a keto diet it’ll be really easy!

most of these IF things actually let you eat during the day (which is a bit weird for me tbh) they let you have ~500 Cals on a fast day which is about 4 tins of tuna, or a couple of tins of tuna and some salad.

Easy peasy

molgrips
    Free Member

are most paleo foods/recipes allowed?

Yes, but without the fruit. Fruit is out of the iDiet because fructose is lipogenic, regardless of what cavemen ate. Plus almost all modern fruit is nothing like what cavemen ate. Compare apples to crabapples.

Dairy – some proteins in dairy promote insulin production, but it seems not all forms of dairy. Milk and yoghurt do, but according to the only internet published study on insulin index, cheese does not. It was marked pretty low on their insulin index scale. This I consider to be a result 🙂

As for sweeteners – mtfu. You don’t need sweet tastes any more than you need salty food, fags or booze. You just get acclimatized to it. After only a short time on the iDiet green beans, broccoli and carrots tasted oh so sweet to me, which they never had before. I look forward to my vegetables!

However – the iDiet is only good to about 10-12% bf apparently, so won’t get you super-cut.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno I thought id get used to a lack of sweet things on keto and whilst I enjoy veg more now, it’s not the same sort of thing as having a sweetener in coffee!

molgrips
    Free Member

Funnily enough, despite being a hardcore sugar junkie previously, I managed to kick the sweet stuff quite effectively PROVIDED I wasn’t doing high intensity training…

_tom_
    Free Member

hmm well I do stronglifts 5×5 as often as I can (depends on work shifts but try to do it 3x a week) and road biking most days..

5thElefant
    Free Member

Dunno about fasting, it seems effective but I don’t reckon I can stick to it. On my days off work I dont always have breakfast other than coffee with some cream in it, but on work days I always seem to get hungry much quicker. Guess its a combination of being bored and getting up a couple of hours earlier!

Fasting in this context means 600 calories, which is a shed load of salad. So, two days a week of salad doesn’t sound quite as challenging.

Edukator
    Free Member

Figs, dates, berries of all kinds – there are plenty of very sweet foods that we know “cavemen” around the Med ate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are wild figs and dates the same as modern domestic ones?

But it’s a good point – plenty of sweet fruit in say, the Amazon; not so much in Northern Europe. Which goes back to my points made on the last paeleo diet thread we had.

5thElefant
    Free Member

They tend to be seasonal.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course – they still are too. Although in the Amazon they aren’t.

Edukator
    Free Member

But northern Europe wasn’t even inhabited in paleo times. The advance of homo-sapiens northwards happened as the ice melted. Most of the world population lived in climatic zones where fruit was common.

molgrips
    Free Member

Paeleolithic ended 10k years ago, earliest finds in Northern Europe date to 700k years ago. People to-ed and fro-ed in and out of the area along with the ice, IIRC

andytherocketeer

Although in the Amazon they aren’t.

true. was odd seeing mango tree there which fruit all year round and have fruits at all stages at the same time (even if it is an imported species – iirc).
    And the fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple) are so much nicer there than here.

As for the cheese and insulin thing, I just assumed it was a lack of lactose, since in cheese it’s almost completely gone. Maybe there’s something else going on too? But then I’m no biologist, and got evicted from O-level biology.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm I didn’t know lactose was gone from cheese.. too much of that still gives my wife grief. But I thought it was a protein in dairy that caused an insulin response.. some proteins do do that apparently.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘A few questions for iDiet'ers’ is closed to new replies.